Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great info everyone. I thought I was losing my mind ! Glad to know it's just a system glitch. I am waiting for the email response from my guy.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nope. They stopped offering free TT last year.
Just my luck! I finally get to flagship status and they eliminate one of the main benefits. Oh well, something else to add to my Costco list.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I spoke to Fidelity today, was told to type TurboTax in the search bar, the link will appear for $20 off, then to do my thing, pay for the rest, then Fidelity would refund back the $ spent..... The rep gave me the phone # and his extension once I have filed
Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #24

I connected with my Private Client rep last Monday and asked for reimbursement for this year TT. Took her a couple days to get to me but told me that she had emailed up the chain asking for clarification of this year's TT policy. As of end of day, no update which is very atypical.
Hopefully we will see a credit before end of week.
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nope. They stopped offering free TT last year.

They are still offering it this year.

I just filed on Saturday using the Fido free TurboTax link. Went through the entire process, closed out the filing, the "bill" was zero dollars and the return was accepted by the IRS this afternoon.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiesGirl View Post
They are still offering it this year.
Vanguard is? That's the question I was responding to.

If so, please provide a link.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #27

The link on Fidelity is back for free TurboTax premier. Horray !

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:19 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was shown the "free TurboTax" link on my main page and took advantage of it.

What is confusing (to me at least) is that I am not in Private Client (although my total with Fido is slightly over $1M). The top-right of my main page says "Fidelity Premium Services", and the contact info just gives the toll-free number for Fidelity Premium Services.

I don't have a guy listed that I can call :-(

So while I am not missing out on the TurboTax offer (whoop-dee-doo), I wonder what else I am missing out on. Maybe just sales pitches? Or is there some useful free help there?
wenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Private client member here. Free TT is all I have ever gotten.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
Private client member here. Free TT is all I have ever gotten.
Yeah, its really the only benefit I see. To me there certainly is no reason to modify your holdings to achieve private client or flagship status at any of these brokerages. Total costs, service and web site functionality are all I really care about.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #31

Just checked, and it’s working for me. You should see something like this box on the bottom right of your Fido starting webpage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F25BF95-47FA-41B1-BEF9-61C817FFDB7F.jpg (267.5 KB, 10 views)
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Regarding Fidelity and TurboTax...

My understanding is Fidelity is offering only the "online" version for free. I was told this year (2018) Fidelity is not offering the download version. I may have been given incorrect information. If it's only the online version I don't want it. I like to use TurboTax on my own computer so I can keep copies of all the software and access the information whenever I want - even when I don't have an internet connection.

So... for those of you who are using the free product from Fidelity - is it the online version or did you download it to your computer?
Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #33

“Online” version, as shown in my screenshot above.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Regarding Fidelity and TurboTax...

My understanding is Fidelity is offering only the "online" version for free. I was told this year (2018) Fidelity is not offering the download version. I may have been given incorrect information. If it's only the online version I don't want it. I like to use TurboTax on my own computer so I can keep copies of all the software and access the information whenever I want - even when I don't have an internet connection.

So... for those of you who are using the free product from Fidelity - is it the online version or did you download it to your computer?
The offer may say online, but the download version of Premier is also free if you click on download products.

We got the download version for free.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

After clicking “Get started now,” choose Download “See products” and it will let you download Premier for free.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
I Started the Premier Online and Quit
Old 03-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

I Started the Premier Online and Quit

I'm a long time, second generation Private Client Group customer at Fidelity. This year I tried the link to TTax Premier Online and gave up and bought a copy of TTax Deluxe at Office Depot. The online did not show me how to link back to previous years of TTax filing. I needed to supply every detail all over again.

What finally caused me to quit in disgust was a page I encountered well into the interview process but before any numbers were entered or downloaded. The program suggested that I would regret if I did not sign my return now, that it would be much more difficult later on. I have developing vision problems so I did not read in deep detail the Terms that preceded starting the process. I was also fearful of hitting the wrong key and e-filing before I intended; they did have my 'digital signature.'

Has anyone found a way to help Intuit see the gross error they've made that last several years by making the features associated with the Deluxe and Premier versions of the CD/Download vs the Online versions? It has resulted in their own forums being filled with user allegations that, e.g., "Schedule D is no longer included with Deluxe."

The whole experience has me evaluating alternatives for 2018 tax preparation.

thanks
baumgrenze
baumgrenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #37

Baum-

You may want to try again. I use the free TT Premier from Fido, as I have for several years, and it automatically recognizes me & pre-populates much of my return from the previous year’s info. Be sure you’re using the same TT sign-on name & password from previous years.

Let us know if that works for you.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Baum-

You may want to try again. I use the free TT Premier from Fido, as I have for several years, and it automatically recognizes me & pre-populates much of my return from the previous year’s info. Be sure you’re using the same TT sign-on name & password from previous years.

Let us know if that works for you.
Same for me. If that is not working then you may need to manually find your last years tax return on your PC during the initial few pages / questions.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies. What I read suggests that you used the "Online" version before 2017. Before my try, I used the CD version of Deluxe which covered everything I needed. My experience suggests that TTax Online and TTax 'CD/Download" do not talk to each other, but I am open to hearing about other experiences.

My understanding is that the recently passed tax legislation, apart from the much larger standard deduction in 2018, left the preparation of a 'simple' retiree's income tax much like 2017's, i.e., Social Security is handled the same way, capital gains from even a 'cash' mutual fund require a Schedule D, and a Required Minimum Distribution from a retirement account needs to be correctly entered. Did I miss something?

Thanks,
baumgrenze
baumgrenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumgrenze View Post
Did I miss something?
Sounds like it.

One of the first screens when using TT asks you to find a copy of your last year's return so it can populate as many fields as possible in this year's return. You should have a copy of last year's return on your machine, so you just need to navigate to it (if TT doesn't find it automatically). I would suggest starting all over with it and telling TT to start a new return.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote