FIRE / Catastrophe Planning

We have a well stocked pantry. Maybe 100 cans of food, 6-8 lb of dry beans, 40-50 lb of rice most of the time. We have 0.3 acres and access to water (we're on a lake), so farming is an option. The lake has plenty of geese, so there's always that. And deer. And possum. And groundhogs. And herons. Plenty of wood around the lake for cooking fires.

I'm really more concerned about boredom. Luckily there's a huge library right up the street. I'm hoping the looters skip the library and leave it to me. It's located kind of in the hood, and I would be really pissed if the residents around the library broke in and used the books as kindling for their fires.

If someone was a serious prepper , you will need some wheels.

The DOD has quite a few MRAP's in Iraq and Afghanistan , literally at scrap prices, U.S. Considers Demolishing Its Vehicles in Afghanistan | DoD Buzz "just pay shipping and handling";) .

Might be kind of expensive to register , based on truck weight fees. maybe could hoodwink the DMV into believing it is a recreational vehicle. Maybe buy 2, one just for spare parts.

With some work, diesel fuel can be kept for many years, by adding enzymes occasionally to kill bio growth , and stirring up & filtering the tank contents ( called "fuel polishing" ) Same thing as done on emergency generator fuel tanks.

Propane keeps forever, gasoline and E-10 , not so good.

Last edited:
Boredom won't be a problem, I grew up every summer without electricity, no running water, no plumbing.
Cook on a wood stove, heat with a fireplace, meant had to cut down 6 trees each summer, that were larger than a man could wrap his arms around. (to dry for the next year).
Saw them up with hand bow saw, and chop with axes.
Had we stayed there in winter, we would have cut down 10x that amount.
Then there is the cutting of the ice blocks in winter from the lake and dragging them up to the ice-house (double walled wooden building with lots of sawdust in it to put between the layers of ice. Each block was ~100 lbs. But without gas/propane/electic that is how you cooled stuff down.
Basically even cooking a meal took longer, as the stove had to get hot.
So you won't have much time to read, you will be too busy.

Back
Top Bottom