56 Atlanta FIRE Plan review

The numbers thrown around make it hard to understand your situation.
-How much do you owe on your house? I only owe $180k, on a 30 year fixed 2.99% mortgage. Made the decision I slept better at night with that $180k in cash and fixed low interest rate mortgage. I know this is like arguing religion or politics on this forum, but that felt best for me. Will likely pay it off in a few years, but I like having the option and fixed cost, with interest rates rising.
-How much do you owe on your beach condo? I owe right about what it is worth, about $125k. Although prices have now started going up, if it continues I will have quite a bit of equity. I about break even on it cost-wise with rental income. But I do home exchanges with it that give me about $10-15k in luxury vacations tax free, plus I stay there a couple weeks a year and more once retired, plus my kids and family use it also. Will likely eventually sell, but probably hold for another 5-10 years.
-Do your expenses include those payments plus estimates of income & property taxes? Yes all expenses from both those properties included in my expenses.
-Do your expenses include healthcare? Even after Medicare age, it isn't free. Yes.I priced the ACA options for myself and the kids and included in the budget. About 7 years remaining max till kids are off my insurance. Might be cheaper for them to get ACA individually, because of subsidies. I have the option of company Retirement insurance, but it is almost full cost $1500/mo for myself and two kids. Probably won't do that. I also have an HSA that could be drawn on, but I want to keep that growing for as long as possible for the triple tax benefits. Still maxing it out, and not touching any.

Back
Top Bottom