FIRE? Pfft!! It's All About HOT!!!

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I guess folks don't like being labeled as FIRE when they aren't FIRE. Why do people feel the need to be labeled? Can we just not all live our *own* lives? I am not ranting...just wondering aloud. :D

https://financialmechanic.com/when-fire-gets-hot/

Many people take issue with the “RE” of FIRE; that is, retire early. Some have said we ought to call it “retirement elective,” because, let’s face it, retirement comes with its own connotations: a new fascination with historical fiction followed by many hours playing golf.

A group of Dutch FIRE bloggers put together a new acronym to encapsulate the true meaning of financial independence. They call it HOT: Happy, Opportunity Rich, and Time Rich.

I do see their point. A "retiree" has chosen to define himself by what he is not doing (working for pay). It seems more appropriate/informative to choose a label that defines what you are doing.

Maybe it should be FIDWIWTD, (Financially Independent Doing What I Want To Do) :)

I guess folks don't like being labeled as FIRE when they aren't FIRE. Why do people feel the need to be labeled?

It's human nature that people like to be in an affinity group. Most of those groups have labels.

Look at your username for example. It certainly appears to be an affinity group label.

A group of Dutch FIRE bloggers put together a new acronym to encapsulate the true meaning of financial independence. They call it HOT: Happy, Opportunity Rich, and Time Rich.

I don't think it will catch on. One can live a happy, opportunity rich, and time rich life at any age - including typical retirement age. It removes the competitiveness in the Early portion of the FIRE acronym.

Last edited:
Call me anything you want. Just dont call me late to the beach, boat or ski slope

Maybe it should be FIDWIWTD, (Financially Independent Doing What I Want To Do) :)

Yep, that rolls right off the tongue. :facepalm:

If I tried to pronounce that in a restaurant, someone would likely perform the Heimlich maneuver on me! :LOL:

ETA: Of course, if I yelled “FIRE” in a restaurant, I’d likely get trampled by the mob. Crap, just can’t win!

It's human nature that people like to be in an affinity group. Most of those groups have labels.

Look at your username for example. It certainly appears to be an affinity group label.

Most certainly. I guess it's more of a frustration when folks don't quite fit in a group and then get all bent out of shape for not "fitting" the mold. In all honesty, I am living a fantastic life...so people can label me whatever they like. As my DW says, "If you are not feeding me, paying my bills, or fornicating with me...then what business is it of yours?" :D

As far as the username, it's not too relevant these days and I could could come up with something more generic but I don't see the need to change it.

Sometimes we say when did we have time for work and some days do nothing.
Played Pickleball today in 70 degrees.They can call it whatever they want.

I do see their point. A "retiree" has chosen to define himself by what he is not doing (working for pay). It seems more appropriate/informative to choose a label that defines what you are doing.

In that case, I am a member of the BOLDNI (Bump On a Log, Doing Nothing Important) group. And I love every moment of it. :D

If I tried to pronounce that in a restaurant, someone would likely perform the Heimlich maneuver on me! :LOL:

ETA: Of course, if I yelled “FIRE” in a restaurant, I’d likely get trampled by the mob. Crap, just can’t win!

Just yell HOT!

Well OK, so I am HOT, while being a Tango Dancer, Figure Skater and Kayaker. :cool:Working on improving my Napping skills.

A label has whatever connotations you bring to it.

I never heard of "FIRE" before I came here. I view it as a bit of a fad more than anything; apparently that acronym is getting a lot of buzz. Big deal.

"Retired" doesn't mean "off to the shuffleboard court" to me. It means I made it to the finish line of the rat race. That's all.

I'm totally not comfortable with the "FI" part. I guess, technically, you could say I am. I'd rather say I have a plan. It's risky but so far it's working. I'll never be "independent" of financial issues.

Retirement never meant retiring from life, just retiring from work.

It’s funny how some folks imagine the retired folks don’t have anything to do but play golf, sit by the pool reading books, or playing shuffle board. Don’t these people ever do anything besides chores/raising kids outside of work? It’s a real failure of imagination.

I never heard of "FIRE" before I came here. I view it as a bit of a fad more than anything; apparently that acronym is getting a lot of buzz. Big deal.

I'm wondering if I get a license plate frame that says, "FIREd and loving it", will most people still think I got canned and am just making the best of it?

Retirement never meant retiring from life, just retiring from work.

It’s funny how some folks imagine the retired folks don’t have anything to do but play golf, sit by the pool reading books, or playing shuffle board. Don’t these people ever do anything besides chores/raising kids outside of work? It’s a real failure of imagination.

Exactly. A failure of imagination. Very common it seems for many ‘hard working’ people who can’t imagine why anyone would ever want to retire. Some fail to imagine even the possibility that they could retire, even when they may have way more than a enough. If they don’t want RE then fine. But to not even imagine it seems sad.

I just go with retired. Couldn't care less about the FI part or the early part.

Back
Top Bottom