Planning my last 20 years, finding a place.

Enjoying life here (or most places) sure beats struggling to find the perfect place to live.

Oh, and BTW, we never DID figure out where we wanted to live. :ROFLMAO: We found a few very nice places, but they all had flaws.

I'd suggest picking the one that requires the least money and work for maintenance

I lived in Florida most of my adult life. So it's kind of the same thing, we're back...

There is no perfect place to live. Or more accurately, there is no place that has every thing we desire.

Expense vs maintenance vs aging. Oh boy, that would require a whole new thread. Nothing is off the table. I could take a chunk out of our nest egg and pay cash for a reasonable place here in Florida. I have never made good decisions with money or real estate. I mostly lose money on real estate. So a big part of the decision will be preservation of value, when I expire what will be left for the kids?

Then you have the purpose of life thing. My father in law bought his home in 1960 something. Never moved. After he retired that house became his purpose of life. He always had some project going on. He walked his three miles every day, played senior softball. He was active and content until he passed at 94.

I recognize that I am not as good as I once was (I thinks a song about that), but I still like to tinker and repairs. I have several going on right now. And a few of them are me organizing repair people to do work that I am no longer capable of.

I appreciate all of your responses. What you don't realize is this thread has allowed me to organize my thoughts in an interactive, non-emotionally charged arena. My wife is procrastinating on the end of life planning. At 66 she feels it's way to early to plan. I keep reminding her the only way to fail is to fail to plan.

Some folks have shared some nice places to look at. I am devloping a list. The next big decision will be what type of place. I think we have pretty well decided to go for an organized senior living place, aka a 55+ community. The main reason is activities and socialization. I could be a grumpy old bear go live in my cave with minimal human contact, however she needs activities, things to do, people to talk with. I respect that, and truth be told it's good for me to.

One of the problems is there are lots and lots of retirement communities in Florida. So we have started narrowing that down. Having lived near West Palm Beach for many years we have our prejudices. No offense intended for any of the areas we have ruled out, they all great things in their own right. And some of reasoning is pretty ridiculous if observed by others. Like, not south of Orlando, not the West Coast (of FL), except Cedar Key. Not the panhandle as it's too far for a day trip to the kids.

I just read where Mount Dora was voted the #1 retirement community by somebody, so will put the starting pin there. I have found three or four acceptable communities already in that area, in the Titusville area, and in the Ocala area.

I need to learn more about retained value. We are in a large 55+ communtiy that is going through a rejuvinization process, it's ugly and painful. There are some pretty unhappy people here that have received eviction notices because there homes are more than 10 years old, and the park models (aka mobile homes, aka premanufactued homes) have not been maintained and looking a pretty run down. I don't want to fall into that trap.

So much to think about.

Good Luck with your final approach and landing. I like your writing style.....keep posting.

Thanks for the nice comment. Remember the old Readers Digest Magazine. My favorite part was alway "Laughter is the best medicine." If I am the only one not laughing at myself, I may be the only one not laughing.

It's funny, some people like my musings while others just want so shoot me and put me out of my misery. Oh well!

:dance:

I need to learn more about retained value. We are in a large 55+ communtiy that is going through a rejuvinization process, it's ugly and painful. There are some pretty unhappy people here that have received eviction notices because there homes are more than 10 years old, and the park models (aka mobile homes, aka premanufactued homes) have not been maintained and looking a pretty run down. I don't want to fall into that trap.

Can you talk more about this, how can they evict folks whose park models are old ? or shabby ? This seems like it would pretty stressful and could even be arbitrary.

Here is one near Dora, you can evaluate for living, it's not costly and was enjoyed by a late member here.
https://www.covecommunities.com/55-mh-communities/florida/lake-griffin-harbor-village/

I’m the same age as op with almost exactly the same retirement place criteria. I’ve been looking for a place to meet all of these criteria. These criteria do not exist in one place.

I’m the same age as op with almost exactly the same retirement place criteria. I’ve been looking for a place to meet all of these criteria. These criteria do not exist in one place.

Find a place that works most of the time and then take a trip or two.

We live in a place with a severe winter climate but we also have ties to friends and family and don't want to move away, so we just go somewhere warmer for a couple months each winter.

Find a place that works most of the time and then take a trip or two.

We live in a place with a severe winter climate but we also have ties to friends and family and don't want to move away, so we just go somewhere warmer for a couple months each winter.

That's the only way to make it work.

Come on up to Sequim, It checks many of those boxes.
Not too cold, not too hot, and only 16" of rain so not too wet....
Lies - all lies. Stay away. :cool:

We sat down and had one of those intense marital discussions. Looks like our winter home is going to be in North Florida. Family.

This is great - you have narrowed your search substantially and North FL has some great towns.

Check out Live Oak, it's SE of Twin Rivers State Forest. Small town, low cost of living and centered in the middle of the Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Gainesville triangle. Your retirement $$ will go a long way there.

I noticed your criteria didn't say "affordable!" Anyway, there is a 55+ "active adult" community my grandparents lived at since 1980, called "Oakmont" in Santa Rosa, CA. I think you can see the home prices here:

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/14513/CA/Santa-Rosa/Oakmont

You buy and own your house outright (as long as you buy the more expensive stand-alone houses, not the condos), and there is a small annual fee like an HOA for the pool house, golf courses, activities, etc.

It's right next to Annadel state park with good hiking and great mountain bike trails that I used in my youth. I never did much kayaking, but if you're ok with river or lake kayaking then I think you're covered (https://www.sonomacounty.com/sonoma-listings/kayaking-canoeing) - the Ocean is about 40 min away, if sea kayaking is your thing. The locals are really into local wine tasting, if you have any interest in that.

The only criteria I think it misses is major airport. There are 2 international airports (SFO and OAK) which are about an hour and 20 minutes away. There is a small local airport you can fly to Los Angeles or Seattle daily ( https://sonomacountyairport.org/ ).

And if you think my story was humorous you will love my criteria:
Deeded Lot
55+
Has elderly activites for my wife
Has woods and nature for me
Has a 20+ mile long bicycle trail
Has some kayaking nearby
Can't be too cold, can't get too hot.
Has good health infrastructure, but not too crowded.
Has major airport within an hour so we can fly to go visit the kids.
It can be a house, an RV park, a mobile home community (I think the new term is modular home or premanufactured home). I have never needed a castle, our home is just somplace to store our stuff untill we take our next trip.
And I will need a garage/shed/barn/extra bedroom to store my tools. I love my tools.

Last edited:
Sounds like you like Florida. Maybe you should start your search there.

DH and I would love to find an alternate location to retire too. California is in decline we see it all around us. But it’s difficult to leave the perfect weather. I laugh when people talk about earthquakes the last major earthquake was in 1994. I am not saying there won’t be another but they are not an annual occurrence.

Good luck in finding your dream location.

Love the map idea but after that last cold front froze just about everything I think only the lower half of California and Arizona would be left on my map. I am a California born cold weather wimp who only likes to see snow on the TV.

Seeing your screenname, I would have thought Arizona would not be on the list. :) Will you think differently in 7 months?

DH and I would love to find an alternate location to retire too. California is in decline we see it all around us. But it’s difficult to leave the perfect weather.

I'd rather live in a great place with a few months of bad weather and then travel a little bit during those months rather than live in a bad place with great weather all the time.

I'd rather live in a great place with a few months of bad weather and then travel a little bit during those months rather than live in a bad place with great weather all the time.
As we grow older travel may not be easy anymore. Instead, one would rather need a great health care close by. These are two major reasons I plan to stay in California for now: great weather and pretty robust health care system in major metro areas.

Seeing your screenname, I would have thought Arizona would not be on the list. :) Will you think differently in 7 months?
Yes...in 7 months I will be back to thinking what the heck are we still doing here. Been doing it since we moved here in 2005. The nice weather is here just long enough you kinda forget the never ending heat of the summer. Stepping outside at 1 in the morning and it is still over 100 degrees is something I will never get used to...so yes come July it will be 2hotinPHX again... LOL... [emoji23]

Last edited:
Can't be too cold, can't get too hot.
Has good health infrastructure, but not too crowded.
Has major airport within an hour so we can fly to go visit the kids.
Given your requirements for moderate temperatures -- I would venture to say you're looking at somewhere north of Florida and south of Pennsylvania. Perhaps a college town in upstate Virginia or North Carolina would meet all you needs for Outdoor Activities, Medical Infrastructure and airport nearby.

To get the elevation to avoid very hot weather in North Carolina or Virginia, one would probably either have to stretch the definition of a major airport to include places like Asheville and Roanoke, or stretch the distance to 2 hours (Washington-Dulles or Charlotte). It still comes closer to OP's criteria than anything east of the Mississippi, though.

My personal experience has been in the spring, but North Georgia and Upstate South Carolina have a lot of unpleasantly hot weather even at higher elevations.

Agree on the deeded lot. A couple of friends own modular homes on rented land. Nice places to live, but the cost could easily grow beyond affordability in old age, while depressing the sale price of the house.

Free ice cream? Only if it's good ice cream, too much mediocre stuff out there to waste the calories on.
I'm pretty particular about which ice cream I'll eat. People are astounded that I'll turn down vanilla, or other flavors of cheap store brand stuff. Life's too short to eat cheap IC.

Can you talk more about this, how can they evict folks whose park models are old ? or shabby ? This seems like it would pretty stressful and could even be arbitrary.

Sorry I kind of missed this part of your post. RV resorts are different than most real estate environments. They are built, disigned, and regulated to be transient residences. Ever go to a resteraunt or bar and see the sign about reserving the right not to serve... Kind of the same thing. RV parks go through a lifecycle. They are new and shiny and attract new and shiny RV's. Then folks tend to stick around, the park management teams tends to get complacent. The park starts to look a little shabby. The park can no longer compete for top dollar rates, draws down income, less money for renovations. Clientele tends to get less affluent. Junkers start to show up. Junl collects around older units.

To counter this trend the RV park adopts rules and standards, very much like Home Owners Associations. I don't have the specifics for this park on what their "standards" are for the fixed park models. I do know that other residents that I have spoken with have received letters of compliance, requiring that they do specific things, like repair screen porches, paint steps and porches, remove rubish, etc. These folks own the park model setting, but pay a fee for the lot it's setting on. The fee includes the amenities the park manages.

As for the rule on the 10 year old RV. The expected lifecycle of a travel trailer is 10 years. By the time they are 10 years old they are pretty much junk. The fiberglass has broken down, the decals have cracked, the appliances fail. These things are not built to last. The average travel trailer owner will only have theirs for 5 years. The expensive Class A (bus like RV;s) fair better. I have not owned one so don't know the details, but I see older Class A rigs that still look good.

And of course there are 10-15 and 20 year old travel trailers that are in excellent condition. And there are revovated antique RV's. So this usually brings up the second half of the cannot exceed 10 year rule, the exception clause. "No RV's older than 10 years. Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis. Submit a photo (sometimes many photo's) of the RV and breif description of it's maintenance history."

I have no idea about the legalities of these policies. And of course a lot of it depends on where you are. RV parks are regulated by their cities, counties, and states. The more dense the population the stranger the rules get.

It's all an effort to provide a "nice" place for folks to visit and/or live. I have been in some really run down places. I only pulled out of one RV park, it was in TX. Old park, 90% of the units I could see where on blocks with blue tarps. 20-25' travel trailer with 4 kids playing in the yards. Many vehicles with the engine hoods up, wheels off.

The flip side is the park in Las Vegas that only accepts the more expensive Class A RV's. Another in Washington that required you email them a picture of your RV (even if it was only a few years old) along with an application requiring you have "references".

I live in a very strange world.

You buy and own your house outright (as long as you buy the more expensive stand-alone houses, not the condos), and there is a small annual fee like an HOA for the pool house, golf courses, activities, etc.

We talked about this option. It goes right in there with the discussion about purchasing Long Term Care Insurance. At some point we will become feeble. We all wish that we can remain of sound mind and somewhat sound body until the end. But I don't think that is a reasonable expectation. Barring illness or accident think that is still 15-20 years down the road, but I am planning for it.

Stepping outside at 1 in the morning and it is still over 100 degrees is something I will never get used to.

I had that experience leaving a night baseball game at Chase Field in Phoenix, and found it far more memorable than the game itself.

California is in decline we see it all around us. But it’s difficult to leave the perfect weather.

Pretty sure Florida is going to be our winter home for the next few years. Family being the biggest.

California is definetly out. Not becuase it's a bad place to live, but because it's and excellent place to live, weather wise. As we have traveled around California is the most expensive place we have visited. California has the highest fuel cost, for a traveling RV'er that's kind of a thing. I have a "thing" about population density. I watch way to many zombie movies. Also I don't like standing in line. Although I am better at it since I have discovered how to feed my books on tape into my hearing aids.

I have an Aunt who lived in the San Diego area for the majority of her life, loved it. She just recently relocated back to Kansas near where she grew up. The cost of California living exceeded her retirement income. And she is nearly housebound so can't get out and enjoy the California weather.

But the real reason I can't live in California was an indiscretion in my youth. Over 50 years ago. My buddy quit school and joined the military. He talked me into quitting school and coming out to California. It would be great he says, we will party, lots of chicks, a wild easy time he says. So I took a bus out and moved into his apartment, I was kind of the 5th wheel as the other 6 folks had already claimed the 3 bedrooms in the apartment. Oh yeah, there were parties. One day the wife of one of the other couples comes storming into the apartment in a panic, she says come with me right now. I started to ask why, she said no time to explain, come with me. Ok, I went. We went over to the neighbors apartment and went inside. About a minute after the door closed police and miiitary police came rolling in with lights flashing. Apartment manager let them and the drug dog into the apartment. It turns out that my buddy was selling drugs. I kind of wondered how it was he could afford to have so many parties.

It was a wake up call for me. After they left I packed my bag and hitched down to the bus station and bought a ticket on the first bus headed toward back home. I never spoke to my buddy again. I also swore never ever to have anything to do with illegal substances. A really good, inexpensive, lesson for a teen-ager. But I don't spend much time in California for fear there may be a warrant out for my arrest. Probably not, but maybe.

Last edited:
(I think the new term is modular home or premanufactured home).

Amazing dream to look forward to! :D
Just for the record, a mobile home can be moved - the trailer parks have mobile homes. A modular/premanufactured one is a permanant structure and I've seen some higher-end communities built with modulars. They are not the same, in case you want to be exact in your search...
Best of luck!

I started searching for the ideal place about 6 years before retirement. My list was similar to yours only much longer. I played with it for all that time starting with location with weather, small town near large city, outdoor activities, either mountains or beaches, tennis for my wife, near a university, near a military base, good medical care, international airport close by, etc, etc, etc. I first used the map to quickly narrow the field (no long cold winters) then identified places that covered the other couple of dozen criteria. It was a good exercise in searching for the ideal place for us and I discovered I was already here. Where I live really covered just about all our criteria. The bonus was I didn't have to go through the hassle of selling the house, getting rid of years of accumulation, hiring movers, and relocating.
You are not far from where we are living so you already know the benefits of the area.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom