FireCalc and a Cola'd Pension

utrecht

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a pension that has a cost of living increase but its a little strange.

On the day I retire, I automatically get a raise of 4% of whatever my pension amount is.

Each year I get this same amount as a raise. I dont get 4% of the new amount, I get the same amount added on every year so it slowly becomes a smaller percentage each year.

I cant find any way to account for this in FireCalc since there are only a couple boxes to enter an inceasing or decreasing amount of income or withdrawals. Theres not enough boxes for a new amount every year.

On the day I retire, I automatically get a raise of 4% of whatever my pension amount is.
Each year I get this same amount as a raise. I dont get 4% of the new amount, I get the same amount added on every year so it slowly becomes a smaller percentage each year.
Is your base pension fixed every year after the first year? Because it sounds like you're actually getting two pensions-- for example, one is $40K/year and the other is $1600/year.

So your actual annual pension receipts would be a fixed 104% of the amount of your pension on the day you retire, right?

Is your base pension fixed every year after the first year? Because it sounds like you're actually getting two pensions-- for example, one is $40K/year and the other is $1600/year.

So your actual annual pension receipts would be a fixed 104% of the amount of your pension on the day you retire, right?

Exactly as I read the post. Enter into FireCalc as 2 pensions if this is the case.

Im not sure if you understand correctly. When I retire, they figure my pension. If my 1st year calculates to be $40000, I actually get 4% extra the 1st year so I get $41600 the 1st year. The 2nd year I get another $1600 raise so its $43200 the 2nd year. The 3rd year I get another $1600 raise so its $44800.

I get a $1600 raise each year forever. So its not 4% raise every year. Its 4% of the orignal amount and then the "raise" is set at that exact amount forever.

Enter a fixed pension of 40000 and a COLA'd pension of 1600 that doubles every year.

Im not sure if you understand correctly. When I retire, they figure my pension. If my 1st year calculates to be $40000, I actually get 4% extra the 1st year so I get $41600 the 1st year. The 2nd year I get another $1600 raise so its $43200 the 2nd year. The 3rd year I get another $1600 raise so its $44800.

I get a $1600 raise each year forever. So its not 4% raise every year. Its 4% of the orignal amount and then the "raise" is set at that exact amount forever.

Enter the $40K as an decrease in withdrawal with an inflation adjustment of about 2.59% (an average percentage over a period of 30 years).

Interesting. Maybe even unique. FIRECalc, as it's currently programmed, can't handle that. You should send a PM to Dory for him to address in FIRECalc v3.0 someday.

The "good" news is that after 10 years of 3% inflation, that $1600/year has withered to less than $1200/year and after another 10 years it's less than $900/year. By year 30 it's only $660/year. Depending on your pension and your expenses, could you safely ignore the whole thing?

In other words if this $1600 is an important make-or-break factor to your ER calculations, perhaps it's worth whittling away at those expenses some more or working for a while longer.

I have ignored it in my retirement plans up to this point, but wanted to enter into FireCalc and see how big a difference it makes. The idea of using 2.59% as an "avg" increase isnt bad I guess.

I have ignored it in my retirement plans up to this point, but wanted to enter into FireCalc and see how big a difference it makes. The idea of using 2.59% as an "avg" increase isnt bad I guess.

that's the best you can do. I haven't run your numbers, but if you use an 'average', then you will be a bit ahead of your assumption in the early years and a bit behind in he later years.

I have a similar situation that cannot be modeled by Firecalc. I get no COLA for 5 years, then 50% of the CPI for 5 years, then 75% of the CPI thereafter.

If you actually crunch the numbers, you realize that receiving, for example, 50% of the CPI is not the same thing as pension that is 1/2 COLA'd and 1/2 not. It's a bit worse.

Any 'average' you fit to these kinds of sequence depend ultimately on the exact inflation numbers that come in, and they also depend on when those numbers occur. I put it all in a spreadsheet and (for my age, and assuming 4% infation) concluded that I would get reasonably accurate results to enter my pension as 2 pensions, one COLA'd (38% of total) and one not (62%). If inflation is mild over the first 5 years, I'll come out better than that. But I'm not counting on that.

you pays your money and takes your chances.....

OK, I know this is a stupid question, but can anyone tell me how / where to enter the COLA portion of my pension? I assume its done in the "decrease withdrawals" area, but I dont see anything other then the box that says "inflation adjusted?" I dont see anywhere to enter a percentage of increase.

OK, I know this is a stupid question, but can anyone tell me how / where to enter the COLA portion of my pension? I assume its done in the "decrease withdrawals" area, but I dont see anything other then the box that says "inflation adjusted?" I dont see anywhere to enter a percentage of increase.
There are pensions with a CPI COLA (for example, the military). FIRECalc can handle these types of pensions through its "inflation adjusted" checkbox.

FIRECalc is unable to handle your pension because it's not a CPI COLA.

Back
Top Bottom