Firing the service workers

Did you fire the housekeeper or gardener upon retirement?

• Yes

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 62 74.7%

• Total voters
We made the opposite choice. We purposely moved to an HOA community where all the the lawn maintenance and winter snow clearing is done for us.

Naturally we pay a monthly fee for this but we are happy pay it and regard it as a benefit in retirement. We could very well be starting to engage some housecleaning support as well. I do wash my own vehicle though.

Hire more stuff out. No time in ER to doing this type of stuff. I consider myself a jobs provider helping people make a living.

I answered no as didn't have either. One day I will likely have someone but not while I am able-bodied. Yard work was part of my relaxation.

We pick and choose. We have a dependable cleaning lady who we would not let go. Wife is the gardener, I'm the cleanup guy.

I have a riding mower but got sick of it and hired a guy. He does it for less than he should. I hate the heat and dust of a humid summer day mowing. Dust because our lawn was destroyed by two years of Japanese beetles.

Snow removal is more to my liking. Dropped the plow guy and bought a nice self propelled blower. But I'm 70 now and weary of doing our 400 ft. with it so I just plunked down $5,600 for a new tractor with a snowblower. Old guy needs a toy now and then too.

I toyed with the idea of getting a lawn service when I bought my house last year. The lady I bought it from had one of those big zero-turn mowers that she offered to sell me. She mentioned that she just put several thousand $ into it...but then I found out it was about 30 years old. I've never paid more than $1500 or so for a riding lawn mower, so I figured that something that old, that could run up that much in repairs, was just a bankruptcy waiting to happen! So, I passed.

On the day I settled on the house and started moving in, a guy from a lawn service stopped off, and dropped off a section a hose that he said one of his guys ran over, so he repaired it for her. I was a bit confused at first, and said, but she always cut her own grass? But, since she was selling the house, and wanted to downsize, perhaps she sold her mower? No, the guy said that it broke down on her! So, she paid him, $1200 for six mows. Or, $200 per cut.

Now, this property is 6.5 acres. Parts of it are wooded, and then once you account for the house, outbuildings, pool, driveway, etc, the mowable area is considerably less...but probably still about 4 acres. He said it took about 2 hours for his crew to come in and cut it all. He also said that, if I got on a contract plan with him, he'd do it for $150 per cut.

It was late in the season last year, so I said I'd think about it, and kept his business card. My uncle brought our tractor from the old house over, and cut it for me for its one last time of the year. He did it over the course of two days, and he said it took about 4 hours per day. So, 8 hours, total. Suddenly, that $150 per cut started looking pretty good!

But, my uncle is retired, and has nothing BUT time, so he's offered to do it for me. And, earlier in the year, my Mom gave me her old tractor, so now we have two of them, and hers is a little bit bigger than the one we have. Also, my uncle tends to cut "low and slow". I tend to go faster, but keep the mower deck up higher, so I'm less likely to kill any critters that sometimes try to hide in the grass, or can't get away quickly enough. I can cut the whole yard in 4-5 hours, depending on how high we let the grass cut. So, suddenly, that doesn't seem *too* bad.

Still, $150 per mow, considering the size of the yard, seems pretty reasonable. However, I'm sure they'd be out every week, so they could knock it out fast. I think we might have cut the grass perhaps six times total this past year. First time was in April, and I think the last was in mid/late August. This was a fairly dry summer. Even though it's pushing mid-November, it probably could use one last cut, but at this point it's no big deal. Anyway, I guess one way of looking at it is $150 x the six times we cut it = $900 in savings. But I'm sure the lawn crew would have been out an average of once a week for 6 months. So, $150 x 26 = $3900! Even if the dry season threw them off and they only came out 20 times, that's still $3000.

Eventually, my uncle will get too old to be able to do it. He's 67, but not in the best health. And even now, he has trouble driving the bigger tractor that my Mom gave us. It's heavier, the steering requires a bit more muscle, and it hits the bumps harder than the one we already had.

Once I'm retired, I'll have nothing BUT time, so I'll probably do it. But, who knows; I might change my mind. The old house is on about 4 1/4 acres, but mostly woods. It would only take 1-2 hours to cut the whole thing, depending on how out of hand I let the grass get. That didn't seem so bad. I'd knock it out right after work, and still have plenty of time left in the evening. But riding around out there at the new house, and after an hour or so looking around, and seeing just how much still needs to be done, can get a bit depressing.

So, at this point I'm on the fence about paying for a lawn service. I won't do it now, because I'm still in savings mode, and trying to sock away as much as possible. But, once I switch to spending mode in retirement, I might splurge on it.

Before retiring we had a housekeeper off and on throughout the years but I did all of the yard work myself. Since retiring we don't have a housekeeper but had someone cut our small yard for $25/week since we're usually traveling all summer.
Didn't vote since our circumstance doesn't fit.

No housecleaner to fire. I wish I could fire myself from that job, but I don't trust housecleaners to treat my things the way I do. Had a couple of experiences with cleaners a few years ago, and said never again.

We only started using a lawn service a couple of years ago (and were still doing a lot of work outside ourselves). Here in FL, we have a service mostly because the shrubbery is a bit too high to trim ourselves, and the weather's too warm for sustained outdoor labor. I still get out there in the early hours, sunhat and safari pants, and clean up whatever the palm trees, etc. have dropped. (I am, I should note, the only owner in the neighborhood who lifts a finger outdoors).

I fired the pest control service. We have generous line item in the budget and DW has a cleaning service bi weekly. I gotta admit I was sorta stunned when others cited 2% of budget for this service but ours is only 1% but that’s still higher than I expected. I take care of the lawn. Just yesterday I paid $60 for a synthetic oil change that was $40 bucks just awhile back. It’s maybe $30 or so to do it myself less than 2x per year so not a big savings.

Now that we're retired, we have hired a cleaning lady, a mowing and leaf raking service, and snow removal. They all work very hard doing chores we no longer want to do.

I wish the poll had a "never had them when we were working" option.

Based on the written responses, I must be in a small minority on this board. We always did our own lawn mowing, snow shoveling, housecleaning, .... while I was working. We continued that into retirement.*

I consider that part of LBYM.

* One exception. I was laid up with a broken foot for two summers and we hired someone to mow the grass. It was $40 per mowing, and it really bugged me to spend the money.

We haven't had any type of cleaning or yard service since we've been married.

If I had a cleaning/yard service, and did not want to do that work myself, I would look to place that cost in the budget.

I do not see getting a service when we initially retire (I am actually looking forward to cleaning and cooking at my leisure) but I suspect after a few years we will look into this - and the sticking point will be finding a service that we like.

Oh, I would not want to mow the law/garden. I am horribly afraid of bugs, and have grass allegories. (I tried mowing the lawn once and my face blew up like a balloon, my nose ran like a sieve and my eyes teared to the point that I couldn't see. Not pretty.)

Last edited:
I’d let go of the housekeeper if I weren’t so allergic to dust. DW is neither enthusiastic nor regular at housecleaning, so the maid stays for medical reasons. Probably the best $1,200 I spend every year.

Time is still money. I don't have a maid service, but we do have lawn service. It would cost me a lot more in time to cut my own grass in florida than I'm willing to trade - plus equipment and space for all that stuff (mower, edger, whacker, etc.). Not to mention having to think about how overgrown my yard is looking while I'm travelling for a couple of weeks.

If I already had housekeeping, I'd probably not want to give that up either. But I did convince DH to do a good share of it after we retired so that helps.

I am retired. I have time. My wife loves yard work. I love projects. I don't love cleaning the house but I do it. I'm old school in the sense that if one is physically able it is part of being a homeowner. Right now it is raking up what will be two full truckloads of leaves. Nature of the beast. I am amazed that probably 70% of our neighborhood has lawn service. More power to those that have it. Some day when I get old I might have it or just move to a condo.

Other similar moves might be paid car washes, handyman work you can do yourself, etc. I’m curious how many people made this same cost cutting “time-for-money” tradeoff upon their retirement.

right before I retired, right after the last kid went off to college, we downsized from a 3,500 sf, 4 br/4 ba house to a 905 sf condo 2 br/1 ba in the city. No need for house cleaners anymore - very easy to clean.

Also, since we don't live in the burbs anymore, we walk to grocery, dining, entertainment. The car stays in the garage more or less, except when we head to the mountains.

No grass to cut. Windows are washed by the condo association. Major repairs done by them as well.

Was going to stain our cabin myself, but after doing just the deck decided it was a bit too dangerous to get up on a ladder by myself so we got a painting company to do that.

My attitude is that lawn work is helping to keep me in good physical shape, so I will continue to do it, knowing that one day I will not be able to. It is part of my exercise cycle - do at least one of the gym, golf(walking the course), hiking, biking, or yard work every day.

We never had a housekeeper or lawn care person.
We have considered it as something for the future when we are older, right now we do it ourselves.

We had someone clean once a month when working. I have plenty of time now to do it. We downsized to 1400 sq ft so easy to do. Our yard is low maintenance with Astro-turf and sprinklers for plants. We live in a high desert drought area so it didn’t feel right to have grass. Most of the small amount of snow we get melts by 10. If not my husband shovels.

We have gone full circle on this. When we retired we were in our early 50s so we let the house and yard help go. Now we are in our late 60s and our parts are wearing out so we have now hired a housekeeper and we are in a house with yard work included. We are on the waiting list at a CCRC and all that help will be included in the rent.

As a LBYM type, never had either and don't have one in retirement. Guess I'm too cheap. Maybe in the future.

My aunt gave up cleaning at age 90 and hires it out. Same year she gave up cooking:)). My mom cleaned until she died just short of 90. I think it helps people to stay healthy.

Never had regular service people even when we made $$$$. I DIY everything within the realm of my competency and I rather enjoy it.

Now that we're retired, we have hired a cleaning lady, a mowing and leaf raking service, and snow removal. They all work very hard doing chores we no longer want to do.

We are on that glide path. Planning to hire PT housekeeping for a few chores. I mow our current small lawn. If we end up in a place with a large yard, we'll hire that out. We have several garden beds. Lately, I've hardscaped a few. DW loves to garden, but limits are encroaching....

Back
Top Bottom