Firing the service workers

Did you fire the housekeeper or gardener upon retirement?

• Yes

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 62 74.7%

• Total voters
We let go of our beloved housekeeper when I retired. She only cleaned every other week, but was crucial to keeping my stress levels down while I worked 60+ hrs a week.

I can no longer say, "Again- I'm not the maid!" a la Flo. At least keeping house is good exercise!

A year later, we hired a lawn guy b/c I hate yard work & DH is getting up in years and it was time for that. It's too darned hot & humid around here to subject him to that. We do trim the bushes & trees ourselves (for now).

we've had housecleaning help for nearly as long as we've been married. started back in the 70's when my wife tore the ligaments in her knee during a park district ski trip. she was off work and her feet for several months. we hired a every-other-week housecleaner for her and liked it so much that we've had one ever since.

when we moved in to our present tree covered home in '88 we spent 4-consecutive weekends in september raking and filling 125-lawn bags and another 50-bags in the spring for the oaks that don't drop in the fall. the next year we hired a fall/spring cleanup crew which then morphed a few years later to include lawn cutting and weeding. fine by me...i'm not fond of those chores.

we were snowbirds for a few years and wanting to have the house looked lived in i hired a snow removal crew. we have ~3000 sf of drive which took the better part of an hour to clear. i don't know why i didn't think of doing that years ago. we've kept them on as well.

wouldn't do without any of them.

The DH and I have had cleaning ladies in the past, but don't right now because we haven't found a reliable service. We do our own lawn, but hire a pro to mow our rental properties. If a repair comes up, we call a plumber, electrician, handyman, whatever needed.

We've worked hard and been blessed. It makes sense for us to provide paid work for others.

Decision made for me

After retiring, I had plans to terminate the gardener service but felt bad as the man had been doing the job for years and didn’t cost me much.

However, as almost on cue, while balancing my check book I notice that the last check I wrote to him had been modified form $40 to $90... made severing the relationship easy. Called bank to advise and to change the amount to the written figure on check.

Amazing that after years of service that one would do such a thing for so little money. Just started cutting the lawn again and advised him his services were no longer required. Sad really...

The cleaning lady is part of our retirement budget. We never did have a gardener, although I could see getting one when I am physically unable to keep it up.

I agree . The cleaning lady will be the last to go!

We immediately fired the housekeeper and lawn service. Rehired the lawn service after a couple of years because Texas summers are way too hot to be outside. We still do the housework ourselves (with a little help from Fifi our Roomba).

We have a roomba and a mopping robot.

Back
Top Bottom