Fixed Income Investing II

MarieIG

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We are starting a new version of the long running thread "We Are Entering a Golden Period for Fixed Income Investing", wherein the topic - OF FIXED INCOME INVESTING - may be thoroughly, thoughtfully and respectfully explored by the ER membership.

Here is the link to the initial thread as a good source of information (as well as a cautionary example of a thread that ran off the rails): https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ixed-income-investing-114400.html#post2789267

Last edited:
We are starting a new version of the long running thread "We Are Entering a Golden Period for Fixed Income Investing", wherein the topic - OF FIXED INCOME INVESTING - may be thoroughly, thoughtfully and respectfully explored by the ER membership.

Here is the link to the initial thread as a good source of information (as well as a cautionary example of a thread that ran off the rails): https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ng-114400.html

Heh, heh, a good example indeed. It's still not there. Haven't found it for several days. YMMV

Not interested. Unfortunately, the person who started the original post and contributed what many thought to be helpful information, and who was lauded by many here, seems to have been run off by a cabal that currently remains - a cabal that, in my view, are the ones who started all the trouble in the first place.

I will be interested to see what rates do from here. I have one callable security that I keep thinking might get called. Otherwise I am set for a while with my "extension ladder".

The step ladder I may add to in the 18-24 month range.

Part of me is thinking I should extend that out until 36 months. If I can do that at 5.5%+ I probably should.

I really liked the old thread except for the bickering and other crap between a few posters. I hope Freedom56 is still going to be here offering his valuable insights on what may be affecting interest rates and such going forward. He's led me to some good investments through his unselfish work.

Really wish we could have one thread just sharing corporate/ agency bond suggestions and deals which is SEPARATE from this generic topic of fixed income. That generic topic and subject is what brings in lots of opinions/ theories/ disagreements. From all appearances and previous posts, Freedom56 indicated he was leaving this site and continuing his own discussion on Reddit, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that user here soon (but who knows).

Last edited:
I really liked the old thread except for the bickering and other crap between a few posters. I hope Freedom56 is still going to be here offering his valuable insights on what may be affecting interest rates and such going forward. He's led me to some good investments through his unselfish work.

Agree!

+1000

... Freedom56 indicated he was leaving this site and continuing his own discussion on Reddit, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that user here soon (but who knows).

I had not seen the post that Freedom56 was leaving. If that happens it is a tragedy but I would be interested in the Reddit link if someone has it.

Without Freedom56 leadership, I don't know where we go from here. Glass half empty? Guilty as charged.

Really wish we could have one thread just sharing corporate/ agency bond suggestions and deals which is SEPARATE from this generic topic of fixed income. That generic topic and subject is what brings in lots of opinions/ theories/ disagreements. From all appearances and previous posts, Freedom56 indicated he was leaving this site and continuing his own discussion on Reddit, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that user here soon (but who knows).

You can start one on that specific topic. There are already specific dedicated threads for Treasuries, MM CDs bank deals, etc.. There is even a long running one on preferred stocks.

You can start one on that specific topic. There are already specific dedicated threads for Treasuries, MM CDs bank deals, etc.. There is even a long running one on preferred stocks.

I did two days ago but they deleted it, I guess they only want corporate bonds in this generic thread.

I would favor separate threads for
  • bank/credit union CDs
  • brokered CDs/UST/GSEs
  • corporate bonds
  • munibonds
  • preferreds.

I did two days ago but they deleted it, I guess they only want corporate bonds in this generic thread.

There was/ is no objection to the topic of corporate bonds. The thread in question quickly devolved into a vitriolic firestorm of insults and was consequently pulled.

+2000.

The poster of the original thread has left us for another forum which is really too bad.

I had not seen the post that Freedom56 was leaving. If that happens it is a tragedy but I would be interested in the Reddit link if someone has it.

+1 on the link. He saved me many thousands by getting me out of bond funds and into individual bonds. My (ex) paid adviser would have sat on his arse and watched me go down with the ship. Freedom was also quick to post new issues so I could buy in before they were sold out.

There was/ is no objection to the topic of corporate bonds. The thread in question quickly devolved into a vitriolic firestorm of insults and was consequently pulled.

To be precise, I created a new thread that would only focus on Corporate and Agency bonds. The new thread had NOTHING to do with that old thread or the generic topic of fixed income investing. My new thread was also deleted around the same time the "golden age" thread was on hold.

To be precise, I created a new thread that would only focus on Corporate and Agency bonds. The new thread had NOTHING to do with that old thread or the generic topic of fixed income investing. My new thread was also deleted around the same time the "golden age" thread was on hold.

You would not have known that from the replies - however, the mods are reviewing the thread you started with an eye towards putting it back online.

These could become a bit narrow if we are not careful.

I would think most folks interested in agency bonds would also be looking at brokered CDs and treasuries. Maybe even high grade corporates.

This thread is broad enough to cover all of these.

Back
Top Bottom