Flexible Retirement Planner -- August 2021 Update

schenbew

Recycles dryer sheets
While checking out the Flexible Retirement Planner (FRP) website tonight, I learned that FRP was updated to version 4.4 in August 2021.

In the past I found FRP to be a very powerful and useful planner, and a great complement to Firecalc. The new upgrades have made FRP even more powerful, addressing more unique circumstances, and greatly increased FRP's usefulness.

Specific upgrades/improvements (from the developer) in ver 04.04.01 include:

- Added support for ROTH conversion cash-flow type in Additional Inputs.
- Updated IRS Uniform Lifetime Table for RMDs from 2002 version to 2022 version.
- Added option to withdraw from tax deferred portfolio first.
- Added presets for Retirement Year-5 through Retirement Year+9 in Additional Inputs.
- Moved Min IRA Withdrawal Age input to Settings and added early withdrawal penalty percent.
- Changed startup config to set heap using max_heap_size instead of max_heap_percent
- Updated jre to latest version.
- Added 2 decimal places to prob of success in detailed view table.

The link to FRP's support and download page can be found here:

https://www.flexibleretirementplanner.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1399

Thanks for sharing this info. I updated to the latest version last month. It was nice to see some of the changes, but I really haven't made use of them. I was looking forward to the new Roth conversion input, but found I liked my old method better (-$X from my traditional, +$X to my Roth, -$X from taxable to pay the taxes). Three inputs instead of one, but it lets me specify where the taxes come from. It also seems a bit more "pessimistic" in the outcome, which I prefer in my estimations. Better to think the worst and be pleasantly surprised if things turn out better.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll update my version now. FRP is my favorite tool, because it's the most, well, flexible one that I can find.

Back
Top Bottom