Update on finances in retirement...

CindyBlue

Full time employment: Posting here.
Update on my first year of living on my "guaranteed" income of a small pension and Social Security...

We both retired in Sept. of 2019, (last paycheck was August) but I couldn't access my pension until age 65, in Jan. 2020, and didn't take my Social Security until FRA, 66 and 2 months, in April of 2021. I used my savings to get me through that year and a half of no and then partial income.

I figured out what my SS was going to be at FRA (and was only off by a few dollars, as it turned out (smile!))) and deposited 3 months of that income amount from my savings into my checking account in Jan. 2021, to cover the SS amount for the months of Jan, Feb, and March. Starting in April, I got my both my SS and pension checks each month. I wanted to track my bottom line income/expenses from my checking account with only income from SS and the pension coming in for a 12 month period, from Jan. 1, 2021 to Dec. 31, 2021.

Nice to find out today that I ended the year spending 60.5% of my "guaranteed" income (i.e., pension and SS only.). Never had to touch my 403b. And this is with normal personal and property expenses plus a few "lumpy" ones - a tooth implant for me (ugh!), a new water treatment system (absolutely necessary), repairs to the septic, a new water heater, and having to pay various tax and other legal/other expenses dealing with my dad's estate (dad passed away in January of this year and left no cash for these expenses - we had to absorb them all.) My hubby has approximately the same "guaranteed" income that I do, and we share the bills equally, so between us we are breathing a sigh of relief that we can make it on just our guaranteed income (...at least for now. Who knows about the future if inflation keeps up like it is!)

As some of you know from my previous posts, I planned my retirement income/expenses very carefully for about 5 years before we retired, with your generous and thoughtful help. I worried a lot! We knew our income wouldn't be much compared to many, but we were pretty sure we could make it do. This year proves we can, plus knowing these exact numbers is a blessing for my "squirrelly" personality - it give me great pleasure to be able to still store away part of my income for that coming rainy day. And our savings are still intact and growing (most of the time, anyway (smile!)) I hope they will be untouched until we need them for our "old age" medical/assisted living expenses.

I still read this forum every day, and still learn and benefit from the discussions. Your advice has meant so much to me over the years, and I wanted to share my little success story with you, my advisors and forum friends. Thank you again, everyone, for your help and support over the years!

Last edited:
That is a great success story. I'm very happy for how it has turned out. A good plan and try to follow that plan usually works.

Congrats. You won!

You should be really proud of yourself (yourselves).

So good to read a success story.

Cindy, thank you for posting this. It's great to hear that your spending is on track or less than you expected.

We are about to look at our spending last year. 2 1/2 months in for us. 2022 will be the first full year.

Planning was the key for me, because even though we saved as much as we could while working, we knew that we wouldn't have the kind of money that many people have when they retire. Based on reading voraciously through all the posts here on the FIRE Forum starting in about 2013, I did a lot of research as to how much of my money was going out and where, and that really helped. Then about two years before we retired, I opened a separate bank account and transferred to it from my savings only the amount I thought I'd get from my two "guaranteed" incomes for one year. I spent only from that account all that year, putting no other monies into it. I was so happy when it actually worked out as planned. With that knowledge, we started thinking about retirement in earnest, and when the situation with admin at work got close to intolerable, we gave notice about 6 months before we retired. The first couple of years were a bit scary for me having to spend down my savings to make it, but I'd planned for it and lucky for me it worked.

We are finally, a couple of years in, beginning to relax and enjoy having our own time to ourselves - what a gift that is, to be able to do what you want when you want to do it! We remind ourselves once in a while to consciously enjoy it now, because we know that the future will hold some health challenges for us.

I wish the best for you as you start your retirement journey! You can do it!

Thanks for the update and here's to many more succesful seasons!

It is great to hear success stories. Congrats!

What a wonderful lookback analysis. Congratulations on a well designed plan and execution of it.

What a wonderful lookback analysis. Congratulations on a well designed plan and execution of it.

Couldn't have done it without you all on this forum. I know I sound like a broken record (and I'm old enough to know what this means from experience (grin!)) but I am very grateful for all the posts and advice from the kind people here!

Thank you Cindy, great post and methodology for proving out your retirement spending vs income.

Great update, CindyB. It is so nice to have a plan work out the way you prepared for!
I, too, continue to read and learn from forum members every day. The knowledge shared helped us prepare for what has been a wonderful retirement so far.

Last edited:
Nice update. Thank you for those of us embarking upon this journey this year. The best takeaway from your post, whether you realize it or not, is that good planning should knockout the Fear Monster. Time to punch the Fear Monster down and enjoy fruits of your labor. :dance:

Yet another success story on the ER Forum. Congratulations and do keep us posted.

Congratulations on your success!!!

Update on my first year of living on my "guaranteed" income of a small pension and Social Security...

We both retired in Sept. of 2019, (last paycheck was August) but I couldn't access my pension until age 65, in Jan. 2020, and didn't take my Social Security until FRA, 66 and 2 months, in April of 2021. I used my savings to get me through that year and a half of no and then partial income.

I figured out what my SS was going to be at FRA (and was only off by a few dollars, as it turned out (smile!))) and deposited 3 months of that income amount from my savings into my checking account in Jan. 2021, to cover the SS amount for the months of Jan, Feb, and March. Starting in April, I got my both my SS and pension checks each month. I wanted to track my bottom line income/expenses from my checking account with only income from SS and the pension coming in for a 12 month period, from Jan. 1, 2021 to Dec. 31, 2021.

Nice to find out today that I ended the year spending 60.5% of my "guaranteed" income (i.e., pension and SS only.). Never had to touch my 403b. And this is with normal personal and property expenses plus a few "lumpy" ones - a tooth implant for me (ugh!), a new water treatment system (absolutely necessary), repairs to the septic, a new water heater, and having to pay various tax and other legal/other expenses dealing with my dad's estate (dad passed away in January of this year and left no cash for these expenses - we had to absorb them all.) My hubby has approximately the same "guaranteed" income that I do, and we share the bills equally, so between us we are breathing a sigh of relief that we can make it on just our guaranteed income (...at least for now. Who knows about the future if inflation keeps up like it is!)

As some of you know from my previous posts, I planned my retirement income/expenses very carefully for about 5 years before we retired, with your generous and thoughtful help. I worried a lot! We knew our income wouldn't be much compared to many, but we were pretty sure we could make it do. This year proves we can, plus knowing these exact numbers is a blessing for my "squirrelly" personality - it give me great pleasure to be able to still store away part of my income for that coming rainy day. And our savings are still intact and growing (most of the time, anyway (smile!)) I hope they will be untouched until we need them for our "old age" medical/assisted living expenses.

I still read this forum every day, and still learn and benefit from the discussions. Your advice has meant so much to me over the years, and I wanted to share my little success story with you, my advisors and forum friends. Thank you again, everyone, for your help and support over the years!

Congrats! I am projected to be in same boat in 20 years as you as far as pension and Social security coving annual expenses. If my projection is correct, I will not need to touch my 401k and savings account.

Does that mean I am over saving? Should I allow myself to spend more now?

Did you regret not spending more in your younger days? projection is correct, I will not need to touch my 401k and savings account.

Does that mean I am over saving? Should I allow myself to spend more now? I am essentially saving money that will be passed down to my kids.

Did you regret not spending more in your younger days?

Congrats! I am projected to be in same boat in 20 years as you as far as pension and Social security coving annual expenses. If my projection is correct, I will not need to touch my 401k and savings account.

Does that mean I am over saving? Should I allow myself to spend more now?

Did you regret not spending more in your younger days? projection is correct, I will not need to touch my 401k and savings account.

Does that mean I am over saving? Should I allow myself to spend more now? I am essentially saving money that will be passed down to my kids.

Did you regret not spending more in your younger days?

That's a great question...and no, I don't regret not spending more money in my "younger" - ie.e, working - days. I am a natural saver, plus I worked all my life at a job I loved but didn't pay much, so I had to be careful. But I didn't deprive myself - I just did whatever I did frugally.

Since I was little, my mom used to tell me that if I save money on some things that I didn't really need to buy new or expensively, then I'll have it for other things that are more important to me. She was so right! For example, because I'd saved money on the other things, when we had to repair the septic, we had the money we needed. And that diamond ring I found at the antique show is on my finger now because I'd saved money on the rest of it all (plus I paid a price that if I had to sell it, I can sell it for more than I paid for it - it won't lose its value (smile!)

I'm a big fan of garage sales and thrift shops - for me, the question is why spend $35- $60 for a white blouse at a department store when I'm sure to spill something on it? $5 will do for me. And I love cashmere sweaters for their lightweight warmth and quality, so I always look for them at garage sales and consignment stores - they are as lightweight and warm if I get them there for $20 as if I'd paid $100 or more for them retail (smile!)

Same for the rocks and cement we hauled home last year to help fill in some eroded areas in the creek - I didn't have to buy them, because on Craigsllist and Nextdoor, people were giving them away for free. I bought my "dream" pickup truck (a Toyota Tundra) last year after I retired - but I had carefully researched trucks for value and repair records first, and bought it used. (Lucky I beat the recent surge in the demand for used vehicles!)

We took - and take - vacations every year, but spent our money on renting a car for a month long drive throughout the United States, or a flight to visit relatives on the east coast, using Bed and Breakfasts or VRBO or camping instead of expensive hotels.

The money we saved, we put into our retirement fund and the bank.

At this point in my life, and for the foreseeable future, I'm so glad to have the money in our 403b waiting there for us - we know we will have health issues (my hubby) in the future, and having the money there for when we will certainly need it is so comforting. Not sure it will be enough, but I can't predict the future and I did the best I could because I was careful all my life, - i.e., I won't be just sick about having wasted money earlier in my life so we don't have it when we really need it. I would much rather have it sitting there "just in case" than have to worry about not having it when we need it. Someone else after me can enjoy the money I've saved for our "rainy day" (assuming there's anything left!) after I'm gone, but I"m not specifically saving it for that purpose.

I'm glad you asked this quesiton...it really made me think!

Last edited:
^^^^^

Excellent answer, CindyBlue. I learned early to suppress my urges to spend but to savor the purchases I knew would bring joy (or even just utility.) YMMV

CindyBlue,

Thanks for the update and feedback.

It is helpful for us to read of the experiences of folks like yawl.

We have just finished our first year of retirement and it went pretty well as planned.

We are 8 years in.
Keeping track of expenses made it easy to know what we "need".
Our fixed income like pensions provides for a good life and our savings are there for the extras.
They are growing still...

Lets enjoy the moment.

Planning was the key for me, because even though we saved as much as we could while working, we knew that we wouldn't have the kind of money that many people have when they retire. Based on reading voraciously through all the posts here on the FIRE Forum starting in about 2013, I did a lot of research as to how much of my money was going out and where, and that really helped. Then about two years before we retired, I opened a separate bank account and transferred to it from my savings only the amount I thought I'd get from my two "guaranteed" incomes for one year. I spent only from that account all that year, putting no other monies into it. I was so happy when it actually worked out as planned. With that knowledge, we started thinking about retirement in earnest, and when the situation with admin at work got close to intolerable, we gave notice about 6 months before we retired. The first couple of years were a bit scary for me having to spend down my savings to make it, but I'd planned for it and lucky for me it worked.

We are finally, a couple of years in, beginning to relax and enjoy having our own time to ourselves - what a gift that is, to be able to do what you want when you want to do it! We remind ourselves once in a while to consciously enjoy it now, because we know that the future will hold some health challenges for us.

I wish the best for you as you start your retirement journey! You can do it!

Thank you for your encouragement, Cindy. Sounds like you had a very good plan.

I have told my kids - some people earn or accumulate more money, some earn or accumulate less, but the common characteristic of the ER community is we all live below our means.

Wanted them to hear this because SIL comes from a family that lived in expensive houses and had expensive cars. Talk about the cars a lot. But we are retired and his parents are still working.......

Thank you for your encouragement, Cindy. Sounds like you had a very good plan.

I have told my kids - some people earn or accumulate more money, some earn or accumulate less, but the common characteristic of the ER community is we all live below our means.

Wanted them to hear this because SIL comes from a family that lived in expensive houses and had expensive cars. Talk about the cars a lot. But we are retired and his parents are still working.......

I think that you are right, that we in the ER community below our means whatever we earn. It doesn't mean we enjoy life any less, though! :)

To be honest, I knew I wouldn't track each and every expense to see what my spending habits were, even though I knew I must in order to see if retirement was going to be possible - I know myself pretty well! That's why I opened that separate checking account for a "practice retirement" year - that way there was no fooling myself about what money was truly going out. I feel lucky that I'd been able to save the money in order to do it. While I've always been pretty cautious about spending, watching that account dwindle over the months sure made me think a lot more about what I was spending - it was hard for me to just "spend normally" on things other than bills so I'd get an accurate account of what I spent in a normal year.

The knowledge I gained from that year has made me more willing to spend on hobbies now that I am retired, because I know I can. Spending money to buy things such as that special yarn for weaving or another pickleball paddle isn't quite as painful as it was most of my life! :)

Glad that you’re on trajectory. Managing the expense side is so important. Have fun though! Life is too short and take the time to smell the roses….

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom