Free Turbo tax From Fidelity

I should qualify and have gotten the free Turbotax Premier for the last few years but I don't see the offer on my Portfolio page. Are others seeing the offer?

I should qualify and have gotten the free Turbotax Premier for the last few years but I don't see the offer on my Portfolio page. Are others seeing the offer?

It was there for me 15 minutes ago.

Make sure you are on the Summary page for ALL Accounts. I didn't see it initially but it's there. I have no idea how I qualify as my only account with significant assets is my IRA. However I do trade CD's and use the cash management account with VISA for my bills. Anyway I don't bother to use it but I guess it's good for some kind of bragging rights around here.

Don’t see it yet. We were skunked last two years. But we have an “advisor” linked to our page now. Will keep checking.

Just checked on my account and found the link.
Note if you want the download product instead of online, I found you have to go to bottom of the first page at the TT site and click the download "button" which presents the additional options for a full download--Premier is still free.

Don’t see it yet. We were skunked last two years. But we have an “advisor” linked to our page now. Will keep checking.

I’ve had this problem in the last. Some years the link is there, other years it is not. When I’ve reached out to Fidelity their response has been “go ahead and buy it, submit a claim, we’ll reimburse you”.

Not sure this is an algorithm gone bad or a deliberate attempt to minimize the cost of the perk.

I’ve had this problem in the last. Some years the link is there, other years it is not. When I’ve reached out to Fidelity their response has been “go ahead and buy it, submit a claim, we’ll reimburse you”.

Not sure this is an algorithm gone bad or a deliberate attempt to minimize the cost of the perk.
I would make sure that your rep agreed to the reimbursement first. And I doubt it's deliberate. Sometimes more people get it later in the process after not having it originally.

Surprise!

I just happened to log into Fidelity and there it was in my summary display.

In the past it has always shown up in DH's login page because he is listed first on our joint accounts.

So the advisor connection worked I guess.

Do you qualify under the terms that I posted earlier from their website?
We've always qualified in $$ amounts. That wasn't the problem. The last two years lack of someone officially assigned to our account meant we didn't get the perk. The years prior we did. A couple of months ago someone from the Dallas office called me to check up on us and assigned himself to our account.

Last edited:
Surprise!

In the past it has always shown up in DH's login page because he is listed first on our joint accounts.

Actually, I think it's kind of random. It usually appears on my login page, but in at least one year it was only on DW's page.

Thanks for the heads-up, MisterBill. I just logged-in to Fidelity and checked. Sure enough, the link is there for me. I downloaded, installed, transferred last year's data, and now I'm starting to enter data.

I've already done the whole return in Excel with estimates for year-end distributions and FTC, which are the only unknowns at this point. But we sold our last rental house this year, so I've been wanting to get that information into TurboTax and verify my Excel calculations. Once the December distributions are in, I'll do the final Roth calculation and conversion. So yeah, I've been waiting for this free download offer to appear.

Surprise!

We've always qualified in $$ amounts. That wasn't the problem. The last two years lack of someone officially assigned to our account meant we didn't get the perk. The years prior we did. A couple of months ago someone from the Dallas office called me to check up on us and assigned himself to our account.
Yes, in past years anecdotal evidence has shown that people who did not have an advisor assigned to their account did not get the offer, even though it seemed like they should have based on Fidelity's criteria. Some people say they don't want to be bothered having to speak to someone but my rep doesn't try to sell me stuff, and she invites me to stuff with free food (prior to Covid, of course). I did email her to let her know that the deal was back, so she can tell her other clients if she is so inclined.

Yes, in past years anecdotal evidence has shown that people who did not have an advisor assigned to their account did not get the offer, even though it seemed like they should have based on Fidelity's criteria.

Definitely not my case. Our holdings meet the criteria, we have an advisor assigned to the account. No offer for free TurboTax (yet).

Thanks for the reminder! It took me a while to find the free offer. On the "All Accounts" page click on the "Summary" tab and scroll down. For me the offer was at the very bottom of the page - lots of scrolling to an area I don't regularly look at.

BrianB

Okay, I logged out of my Fidelity account and logged into DW's account and there it was! Strange. We typically don't use her login since all her accounts are accessible from my login. The offer has always been on my login before. Glad for this discussion as I would have never thought to use her login.

Just out of curiosity, I logged into Fidelity using DW's credentials. She has the free TT offer as well. So for us, it showed up under both log-ins.

Just showed up on my Fidelity page. I downloaded it and tried to install it on my Windows 7 32 bit machine and got the error I didn't have enough RAM (2 GB required). The FAQ does say "Windows 7 not supported" but I was hoping it might install anyway. Don't know if it would have worked if I had 4 GB of RAM. Looks like I'll have to install in on my Windows 10 laptop.

All I got was a $20 off offer. Big wow.

I'll just buy the disk off amazon and furgitaboutit

All I got was a $20 off offer. Big wow.

I'll just buy the disk off amazon and furgitaboutit

Should you have qualified based on your Fidelity accounts and status?

And the $20 discount is not on the same page as the free copy would be. Those of us who have the free copy also have the $20 discount. So make sure you are not looking in the wrong place if you should have the free copy.

I don't have it either... even did a Ctrl-F search for "turbo" and nada.... but I don't have a lot with Fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom