Free Turbo tax From Fidelity

JPatrick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know many have seen/used the free state/federal tax prep offer from Fido.
As in past years I used the offer. When I finished the tax drill there was no indication that Fido was going to pay so I contacted them (FIDO) by phone. After many minutes of being passed around they finally gave me a code to enter on the turbo tax site. It was supposed to pay for the entire bill of $155, but it only coughed up about $55. The offer clearly is for free state and federal tax prep and still exists on my FIDO summary page.
So my question is---did anyone else have a similar problem, and if so, how did you resolve it? Many thanks

My exact situation a couple of years ago. I got blasted here when I complained. Now I just file a paper return hand written. The only downside is this year I have to wait for my federal welfare check of $1200. Evidently the govt can't comprehend that some people manage their taxes to not get a refund. Sad but I know I'll get it in the long run. My perverse goal this year is to be a multimillionaire who pays no federal taxes.

Last edited:
My exact situation a couple of years ago. I got blasted here when I complained. Now I just file a paper return hand written. The only downside is this year I have to wait for my federal welfare check of $1200. Evidently the govt can't comprehend that some people manage their taxes to not get a refund. Sad but I know I'll get it in the long run. My perverse goal this year is to be a multimillionaire who pays no federal taxes.

I've also had troubles in previous years, but they were easy to resolve. Not this time..:mad:

I know many have seen/used the free state/federal tax prep offer from Fido.
As in past years I used the offer. When I finished the tax drill there was no indication that Fido was going to pay so I contacted them (FIDO) by phone. After many minutes of being passed around they finally gave me a code to enter on the turbo tax site. It was supposed to pay for the entire bill of $155, but it only coughed up about $55. The offer clearly is for free state and federal tax prep and still exists on my FIDO summary page.
So my question is---did anyone else have a similar problem, and if so, how did you resolve it? Many thanks

I've never heard of such an offer. I've gotten the deal from FIDO for a number of years now, but it's a free download of TurboTax Premier that includes federal e-filing (not state). That's all. The "state" freebie that's part of the package is for the state tax return software, not the filing cost. I'd be very surprised to hear that anyone had free state e-filing included.

I've never heard of such an offer. I've gotten the deal from FIDO for a number of years now, but it's a free download of TurboTax Premier that includes federal e-filing (not state). That's all. The "state" freebie that's part of the package is for the state tax return software, not the filing cost. I'd be very surprised to hear that anyone had free state e-filing included.

Yup, the offer states--"Receive a Free federal and state tax return."
I've used the offer quite a few years without spending a dime.

Yes I had FREE state as well as Federal for several years prior to 2018. No cost whatsoever. Trust me as an anal cheapskate with records to prove it. I find it amusing that Fido can't find a marketing genius that can allow them to escape this debacle. To me it is negative considering the other guy isn't even playing.

I've never heard of such an offer. I've gotten the deal from FIDO for a number of years now, but it's a free download of TurboTax Premier that includes federal e-filing (not state).

+1

And this year was no different from previous years. Now, if you're using their online software instead of downloading it, I can't offer any advice.

I have used the free Turbotax for several years. The link was there again this year, but it did not end up being free. I called in about it and they said that the policy had changed (but the website didn't).

I have been offered the free state and federal return for a few years now. I use the link from my summary page. As soon as it pops up I begin filling out my return, even if it’s just importing my name and address from the previous year. That locks the offer code into my return so I can come back to it numerous times without losing the “free” offer.

I have never had a problem and have paid $0 for both returns every year I have used it.

My situation as well. Cost $25 for the state e-filing. Fed and state tax program, and fed e-filing, was free.

I've never gotten a free offer from any Brokerage or insurance company, so I continue to pay $21 for H&R TaxCut for 5 free Federal filings.
The State e-filing costs too much (around $20 ea) for the simple return it is, so I just do it on the State site.

I'd much rather pay $21/yr and print out a return, rather than hand written. Glad those days are over.

I used the free online version and had zero problems. I didn't efile however. Downloaded the return to a pdf file and printed. Perhaps if I had tried to efile I would have run into the same problem as others. I just prefer to snail mail my return.

I used the free online version and had zero problems. I didn't efile however. Downloaded the return to a pdf file and printed. Perhaps if I had tried to efile I would have run into the same problem as others. I just prefer to snail mail my return.

I used efile for both returns without an issue.

Even though I owed money, I think the efile is safer than mailing a return. I get an acknowledgement of acceptance of my return within an hour and I can schedule the payment for a date in the future.

I have used the free Turbotax for several years. The link was there again this year, but it did not end up being free. I called in about it and they said that the policy had changed (but the website didn't).

Yeah I think that's what they were trying to sell me, but it has been on the website from December thru today which makes me think they ought to honor the offer as stated. Can't understand how year after year they find a way to screw it up..:facepalm:

I’ve seen two different offers on my summary page. The initial one offered a discount. A subsequent one offered free state and federal. I wonder if folks are confusing the two.

I've gotten the offer every year since retirement. This is the first year it actually worked. Every previous year I had to write the Fidelity rep and he would refund the money into my account.
Yes, Fed and State were free.

I've gotten the offer every year since retirement. This is the first year it actually worked. Every previous year I had to write the Fidelity rep and he would refund the money into my account.
Yes, Fed and State were free.
Yup, that's what they told me too. They gave me a code to enter on the Turbotax site to generate a refund. Yes it did, I got a 50% refund which makes me only half screwed for now. More to come:mad::mad:

I must not have enough to get free.... mine was a discount on purchase... but that price was still higher than what I could buy from Amazon...

Just finishing the download now as I type this out!

BTW, I loved when Vanguard had free for the high asset people... but they also have a discount that is not really worth anything...

Yup, that's what they told me too. They gave me a code to enter on the Turbotax site to generate a refund. Yes it did, I got a 50% refund which makes me only half screwed for now. More to come:mad::mad:

Earlier this week I put my case for the missing 50% in a letter to FIDO's regional office. Lo and behold $105 appeared in my account today.
Case closed, but I'm still disappointed in how FIDO handled this.:(:(
I'll work on getting over it.

I have received TurboTax Premiere free from Fidelity for many years, but it is a bit surprising how they create such consternation over this thing every year with their customers. The lack of transparency for who is or is not eligible and what the heck is the criteria is likely a net negative for them in terms of customer satisfaction. Would love it if some high level exec at FIDO would spill the beans on why they manage the free TurboTax deal the way they do.

I have received TurboTax Premiere free from Fidelity for many years, but it is a bit surprising how they create such consternation over this thing every year with their customers. The lack of transparency for who is or is not eligible and what the heck is the criteria is likely a net negative for them in terms of customer satisfaction. Would love it if some high level exec at FIDO would spill the beans on why they manage the free TurboTax deal the way they do.

+1

So, I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention that the free offer is back again. Look at the bottom of your Portfolio page (Accounts & Trade -> Portfolio). If you want the download version, scroll down to the bottom of the page that it takes you to.

Also, since I see lots of concern about who qualifies, Fidelity does mention the free Turbotax on this page -- https://www.fidelity.com/trading/active-trader-trading-service-levels

The wording is a bit confusing --

Certain covered clients: Private Wealth Management (PWM) client and owns one or more nonretirement account(s) or PCG, Premium, and ATS clients with minimum assets of either: PWI assets of $1,000,000 or more and PI assets of at least $500,000 and own one or more nonretirement account or Nonretirement assets $1,000,000 or more. Applies to Federal returns and one state return only. Cost of additional state returns are the responsibility of the client.

Last edited:
Thanks, MisterBill. That's considerably earlier than they offered it last year.

To address the issue of people who thought it was free, but it didn't turn out to be, you should say if it's the online version or download.

If you get the download version you can get one state for free (you have to pay for additional states) and you have to pay for state e-file (except in NY, where they are not allowed to charge).

If you use the online version, it should be completely free for mutiple states, including e-file. What I suggest doing is, once you get to the site using the free link (and it will show $0 as the price), just get started with your personal info, then add all the states you will need (assuming they are available), then go to the File page and in the "Review your order" section it will let you check out and "pay". You should see everything as free there, and if you check out you shouldn't have any surprises later on since your purchase is done. You do not have to file at that point.

Obviously all of this assumes that you enter the site via the Free Turbotax Premier on the Fidelity website.

Last edited:
Thanks, MisterBill. That's considerably earlier than they offered it last year.

It's the same timing that it's been in years prior to 2019. Last year was an exception because Fidelity apparently had to make some last minute updates on their system for a tax law change (I forget what it was). Caused a lot of consternation among people who thought that they weren't going to offer it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom