Free Turbo tax From Fidelity

I don't have it either... even did a Ctrl-F search for "turbo" and nada.... but I don't have a lot with Fidelity.

It's not that big a page that searching should be required. But if you don't have much with Fidelity, you're not going to have the offer. I tried to upload a screen shot but it's not showing.

N6rYGqm

Last edited:
Showed up today on my summary page. Better than nothing.

Better than any other brokerage offers on a no-fee account. For something that I would be spending real money on, so not some holiday gift that I could take or leave.
Vanguard was offering this for awhile to high balance clients, so Fidelity started to match them. Then a couple of years later Vanguard dropped the perk!

For the first time we have a Fidelity account. We opened it earlier this year and transferred our muni bonds from our Merrill Edge taxable account. Merrill has a miserable bond inventory and clunky interface on researching bonds. I don't see the link to TT, but suspect that as of now, our balance doesn't meet the threshold. We may however transfer our IRA's, as those are the accounts that need to hold a lot of bonds.

What is the threshold to get that perk? Can anyone tell me? I'm good this year as I bought H&R Block already on cyber Monday. But if we transfer the IRA's in 2021 perhaps we'll wait for the perk.

Last edited:
What is the threshold to get that perk? Can anyone tell me? I'm good this year as I bought HR Block already on cyber Monday. But if we transfer the IRA's in 2021 perhaps we'll wait for the perk.

See #22 above. In general, if you're in the Private Client Group (it will say that at the top of your summary page if you are) then you should have this offer.

Thanks OP for the heads up. They make it tough to get to the actual download, but I got there by going to the purchase TurboTax page in Intuit, but the cost was $0. I prefer the download and working on my PC, vs what they want you to do online.

I don't see it, but I've already bought it so I guess I don't care.

See #22 above. In general, if you're in the Private Client Group (it will say that at the top of your summary page if you are) then you should have this offer.

Mine says Fidelity Premium Services. Is that the same as Private Client Group?

I imagine neither is worth anything. Kind of like back when I was Flagship with VG.

I don't see it, but I've already bought it so I guess I don't care.
Well, you could get a refund from Intuit if you subsequently got it free.

I imagine neither is worth anything. Kind of like back when I was Flagship with VG.
Premium Services is below Private Client. Seems to be $250k from past posts on another site. PCG is $1m.

Well, you could get a refund from Intuit if you subsequently got it free.

Premium Services is below Private Client. Seems to be $250k from past posts on another site. PCG is $1m.

I know I was offered Turbotax last year, so I guess it doesn't matter if you're Private Client or not.

I think I've been Premium Services since the days I used to have my company 401K at Fidelity. Apparently, I'm not worthy of Private Client even though we're north of $1m. Oh well, certainly not worth wasting time trying to get upgraded.

We have Fidelity Premium Services. We contact our advisor, and he agrees to reimburse us for the full amount for TurboTax Premier. Been doing this for the last couple of years. Buy it off Amazon. They put a cash credit in your account.

:rolleyes:We have Private Client Group on our screens, but no TT offer. I contacted our "advisor" and he had no clue what I was talking about and passed it on to his customer care team. They opened a new office nearer to our home and we got this new advisor this year, so we will see.......

:rolleyes:We have Private Client Group on our screens, but no TT offer. I contacted our "advisor" and he had no clue what I was talking about and passed it on to his customer care team. They opened a new office nearer to our home and we got this new advisor this year, so we will see.......

If I recall, we bought TT Premiere in mid-January from Amazon, after we talked to our advisor. I think the credit showed up in 2-3 weeks. Fidelity has been real helpful with this. Be patient.

I've mentioned this in the past, but for the newer members:

When I learned about this deal I wondered why I didn't get it since I had enough at FIDO to qualify. Eventually I scheduled a meeting with my adviser to go over something else and asked him about it.

His response was simple and direct.
"Oh, I didn't know you used that. I'll put you on the list."

Sure enough, next tax season the offer appeared on my summary page.

So I think that would be a worthwhile topic for discussion if you think you should qualify for it.

I've mentioned this in the past, but for the newer members:

When I learned about this deal I wondered why I didn't get it since I had enough at FIDO to qualify. Eventually I scheduled a meeting with my adviser to go over something else and asked him about it.

His response was simple and direct.
"Oh, I didn't know you used that. I'll put you on the list."

Sure enough, next tax season the offer appeared on my summary page.

So I think that would be a worthwhile topic for discussion if you think you should qualify for it.

I have Fidelity Premium Services and an account advisor listed.

I just sent him an email over the weekend, saying some of my acquaintances are getting TT free and what does it take to qualify. Some underling wrote back stating I needed to have over $1Mill on account not including retirement accounts.

So, based on responses here, I guess "it varies" as to who is offered the complimentary TT? :(

omni

Downloaded and installed my free copy. Pretty much the same as last year....best as I can recall.

So, based on responses here, I guess "it varies" as to who is offered the complimentary TT?

Based on the extensive research done by the forum community ( :LOL: ) I think it has been determined that every FIDO office seems to be in its own little universe regarding what they offer, and to whom.

So there really isn't any definite answer for anyone here.

:mad:If I don't get my Turbotax reimbursed, I'm going to pull all of my money out and move it to my local bank. That should show them who's boss around here!

We have Fidelity Premium Services. We contact our advisor, and he agrees to reimburse us for the full amount for TurboTax Premier. Been doing this for the last couple of years. Buy it off Amazon. They put a cash credit in your account.
Is it reported as taxable on a 1099?

Based on the extensive research done by the forum community ( :LOL: ) I think it has been determined that every FIDO office seems to be in its own little universe regarding what they offer, and to whom.

So there really isn't any definite answer for anyone here.

Pretty sure the local office does not have anything to do with selecting who gets it. If they were, I would expect them to notify the clients to let them know that it's available.

Pretty sure the local office does not have anything to do with selecting who gets it. If they were, I would expect them to notify the clients to let them know that it's available.

I wouldn't be quite so sure. See post #66 above.

I have Fidelity Premium Services and an account advisor listed.

I just sent him an email over the weekend, saying some of my acquaintances are getting TT free and what does it take to qualify. Some underling wrote back stating I needed to have over $1Mill on account not including retirement accounts.

So, based on responses here, I guess "it varies" as to who is offered the complimentary TT? :(

omni
Do you qualify based on the fine print on this page on their website? If so, send them the link. Retirement accounts (401(k)) count if you have $500k in other money with them.

https://www.fidelity.com/trading/active-trader-trading-service-levels

Back
Top Bottom