Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To our shock we did not qualify for the free Turbo Tax Premier from Fidelity this year in spite of our Private Client status and our having a large amount invested with them.

Reason: we do not have an ongoing relationship with one of their account managers/reps.

Now - we did not drop the ball here. We moved from a city where they had an office. But they reached out to us for several years and we still were served by that office when we had a need. A couple of years ago or so they seemed to reorganize things and I guess we lost our “relationship” at that point. I guess we fell through the cracks.

We only needed TurboTax Deluxe federal. We got it for $30, cheap, and went on our own. We had one discussion with the Private Client group about not having this “relationship” anymore, but there has been no follow up on Fidelity’s end.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Hmmm.
Again I had sent my Private Client team an email saying I can't find the free TT link and they sent me a $20 off link.
$110 charge to get taxes filed.
I'll complain to FIDO again.
Not real happy this keeps happening. Wonder what other benefits I qualify for that I'm not receiving?
In my experience, emails (or phone calls) to your "team" are no substitute for a face to face conversation with your actual rep. Consider setting up an appointment and I'll bet you have much better luck.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
To our shock we did not qualify for the free Turbo Tax Premier from Fidelity this year in spite of our Private Client status and our having a large amount invested with them.

Reason: we do not have an ongoing relationship with one of their account managers/reps.

Now - we did not drop the ball here. We moved from a city where they had an office. But they reached out to us for several years and we still were served by that office when we had a need. A couple of years ago or so they seemed to reorganize things and I guess we lost our “relationship” at that point. I guess we fell through the cracks.

We only needed TurboTax Deluxe federal. We got it for $30, cheap, and went on our own. We had one discussion with the Private Client group about not having this “relationship” anymore, but there has been no follow up on Fidelity’s end.
That seems odd about the rep relationship. I don’t even have a rep and I got fed and state for free.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
That seems odd about the rep relationship. I don’t even have a rep and I got fed and state for free.
You might have a rep and just not know it.

Yes, totally weird considering our assets, but whatever.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #105

Quote:

No, I used to have rep name on my account page and they took it off about a year ago. I am free agent.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #106
Full time employment: Posting here.

That does seem odd that the Turbotax Premier offer was only available to Private Clients with an assigned account manager. I inadvertently registered for Turbotax outside of the Fidelity link, was charged full price, then called the Fidelity Private Client Group (800) 544-5704, explained my error, and the representative who answered credited my non-retirement Fidelity account for the federal Turbotax Premier $79.99. The state tax return $39.99 was not included for refund, and I was ok with that.
swakyaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, I used to have rep name on my account page and they took it off about a year ago. I am free agent.
OK - so more inconsistencies or outright lies.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, we do have a rep, but was originally told only about the $20 deal. I complained heavily to the "generic" rep and without any further communication, it magically appeared.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #109

Quote:
The offer, or lack thereof, has been discussed a lot on the forum at Fidelity. Inconsistency has been the only constant.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

You are free to move your assets to another place.
I know I was told by Merrill Lynch rep that their bonus for moving goes higher than the $600 web site number for higher amounts, just ask.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:43 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I know I was told by Merrill Lynch rep that their bonus for moving goes higher than the $600 web site number for higher amounts, just ask.
For $200k and above, the bonus should be $900.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:03 AM   #112

Quote:
The offer, or lack thereof, has been discussed a lot on the forum at Fidelity. Inconsistency has been the only constant.
Yeah, I got demoted from Private Client to Active Trader, despite a growing account balance and the only trading I do is buying some brokered CD's. However I finally did get free Turbo Tax Premier. I really don't see what benefit Fido gets from this promotion.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #113

Well I sent an email to my Private Client Advisor and got this response from someone else at Fido:

The free offer for the Turbo Tax download from Fidelity had stricter*qualifications*this year. Being a part of the Fidelity Private Client Group does not guarantee the offer would be made available.**
Might have been nice to know this. Wonder why I got the free offer the day after I did my taxes?
Up to this point Ive been such a happy customer that I've steered 2 Private Client status customers to Fido. Now I'm wondering what Chuck is giving for bonuses to move money over there.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Well I sent an email to my Private Client Advisor and got this response from someone else at Fido:

The free offer for the Turbo Tax download from Fidelity had stricter*qualifications*this year. Being a part of the Fidelity Private Client Group does not guarantee the offer would be made available.**
Might have been nice to know this. Wonder why I got the free offer the day after I did my taxes?
Up to this point Ive been such a happy customer that I've steered 2 Private Client status customers to Fido. Now I'm wondering what Chuck is giving for bonuses to move money over there.
You are going to move your account for not getting a $100? #braindamage
Old 04-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It would take more than confusion over a changed TurboTax freebie benefit to make us move our assets when the version we needed was only $30.

Up until this Turbotax confused stricter qualifications silliness I had had absolutely no complaints about Fidelity.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #116

Quote:
You are going to move your account for not getting a $100? #braindamage
No. But I may shop for another broker as I didn't when I left MegaCorp I simply moved Fido 401k to Fido IRA.
I could have had my taxes done at my credit union for less than TurboTax Premium cost. Or I could have purchased it for a better price at Costco. The fact they did not notify me of the change damaged Fido's reputation. That they sent me the free offer after the fact while sending an email stating I don't qualify shows their right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.