Free TurboTax Premier from Fidelity

To our shock we did not qualify for the free Turbo Tax Premier from Fidelity this year in spite of our Private Client status and our having a large amount invested with them.

Reason: we do not have an ongoing relationship with one of their account managers/reps.

Now - we did not drop the ball here. We moved from a city where they had an office. But they reached out to us for several years and we still were served by that office when we had a need. A couple of years ago or so they seemed to reorganize things and I guess we lost our “relationship” at that point. I guess we fell through the cracks.

We only needed TurboTax Deluxe federal. We got it for $30, cheap, and went on our own. We had one discussion with the Private Client group about not having this “relationship” anymore, but there has been no follow up on Fidelity’s end.

Last edited:
Hmmm.
Again I had sent my Private Client team an email saying I can't find the free TT link and they sent me a $20 off link.
$110 charge to get taxes filed.
I'll complain to FIDO again.
Not real happy this keeps happening. Wonder what other benefits I qualify for that I'm not receiving?

In my experience, emails (or phone calls) to your "team" are no substitute for a face to face conversation with your actual rep. Consider setting up an appointment and I'll bet you have much better luck.

To our shock we did not qualify for the free Turbo Tax Premier from Fidelity this year in spite of our Private Client status and our having a large amount invested with them.

Reason: we do not have an ongoing relationship with one of their account managers/reps.

Now - we did not drop the ball here. We moved from a city where they had an office. But they reached out to us for several years and we still were served by that office when we had a need. A couple of years ago or so they seemed to reorganize things and I guess we lost our “relationship” at that point. I guess we fell through the cracks.

We only needed TurboTax Deluxe federal. We got it for $30, cheap, and went on our own. We had one discussion with the Private Client group about not having this “relationship” anymore, but there has been no follow up on Fidelity’s end.
That seems odd about the rep relationship. I don’t even have a rep and I got fed and state for free.

You might have a rep and just not know it.

Yes, totally weird considering our assets, but whatever.

No, I used to have rep name on my account page and they took it off about a year ago. I am free agent.

That does seem odd that the Turbotax Premier offer was only available to Private Clients with an assigned account manager. I inadvertently registered for Turbotax outside of the Fidelity link, was charged full price, then called the Fidelity Private Client Group (800) 544-5704, explained my error, and the representative who answered credited my non-retirement Fidelity account for the federal Turbotax Premier $79.99. The state tax return $39.99 was not included for refund, and I was ok with that.

OK - so more inconsistencies or outright lies.

Yeah, we do have a rep, but was originally told only about the $20 deal. I complained heavily to the "generic" rep and without any further communication, it magically appeared.:angel:

You might have a rep and just not know it.

Yes, totally weird considering our assets, but whatever.

You are free to move your assets to another place.
I know I was told by Merrill Lynch rep that their bonus for moving goes higher than the $600 web site number for higher amounts, just ask.

I know I was told by Merrill Lynch rep that their bonus for moving goes higher than the $600 web site number for higher amounts, just ask.

For $200k and above, the bonus should be $900.

The offer, or lack thereof, has been discussed a lot on the forum at Fidelity. Inconsistency has been the only constant.

Yeah, I got demoted from Private Client to Active Trader, despite a growing account balance and the only trading I do is buying some brokered CD's. However I finally did get free Turbo Tax Premier. I really don't see what benefit Fido gets from this promotion.

Well I sent an email to my Private Client Advisor and got this response from someone else at Fido:

The free offer for the Turbo Tax download from Fidelity had stricter*qualifications*this year. Being a part of the Fidelity Private Client Group does not guarantee the offer would be made available.**
Might have been nice to know this. Wonder why I got the free offer the day after I did my taxes?
Up to this point Ive been such a happy customer that I've steered 2 Private Client status customers to Fido. Now I'm wondering what Chuck is giving for bonuses to move money over there.

Well I sent an email to my Private Client Advisor and got this response from someone else at Fido:

The free offer for the Turbo Tax download from Fidelity had stricter*qualifications*this year. Being a part of the Fidelity Private Client Group does not guarantee the offer would be made available.**
Might have been nice to know this. Wonder why I got the free offer the day after I did my taxes?
Up to this point Ive been such a happy customer that I've steered 2 Private Client status customers to Fido. Now I'm wondering what Chuck is giving for bonuses to move money over there.

You are going to move your account for not getting a $100? #braindamage

It would take more than confusion over a changed TurboTax freebie benefit to make us move our assets when the version we needed was only $30.

Up until this Turbotax confused stricter qualifications silliness I had had absolutely no complaints about Fidelity.

You are going to move your account for not getting a $100? #braindamage
No. But I may shop for another broker as I didn't when I left MegaCorp I simply moved Fido 401k to Fido IRA.
I could have had my taxes done at my credit union for less than TurboTax Premium cost. Or I could have purchased it for a better price at Costco. The fact they did not notify me of the change damaged Fido's reputation. That they sent me the free offer after the fact while sending an email stating I don't qualify shows their right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Back
Top Bottom