Friends (new immigrants) want to retire on $4M in San Diego

Algarve Portugal and one can get 10 year special status and pay almost no income taxes. http://nonhabitualresidents.com/

Same wonderful climate as SD with more interesting/historic feel to it and friendly people, inexpensive health care, lower crime then SD.... but if living in US is a requirement it would be out of the question.

Last edited:
Imperial Beach is another beach city in San Diego County that could be an alternative to Oceanside. IB has been undergoing a renaissance during the past few years and the waterfront area has become quite nice. It's also closer to the city of San Diego than Oceanside is.

If your friends are looking for SD specifically, then have at it. But if they are open to Coastal California / not SD but still good climate, they might want to look at San Luis Obispo. College town, solid schools, 10 minutes from the beach, but inland enough to avoid most of the fog. Little traffic, no big-city vibe.

Lower housing prices as a result.

Ventura and Carpinteria, CA, may also interest them. If they decide to look at Ventura, I'd stick with northern Ventura and avoid Oxnard.

Last I checked SLO was pretty darn pricey. But I'll admit I haven't followed it closely. I have friends in San Diego who say they want to move to SLO (went to school there) but can't afford it. One of my favorite campgrounds is the Morro Bay state park - just over the hill from SLO.

Why would SLO be that pricey?

I thought about visiting the castle but couldn't figure out how much it cost and they didn't reply to my email.

Back
Top Bottom