Good day to buy stocks?

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've had some cash sitting on the sidelines waiting for a big one day drop. I know, I know...market timing. Well, it seems like as good a day as any to start buying. Nothing exciting for me here, just the usual index funds. Orders have all been placed.

Anyone else using today's drop to catch up on putting some cash into the markets?

Probably as good as any. I'm afraid Mr. Putin is going to keep the markets stumbling for more than a day though. Who knows. Good to see his own market and currency is taking a hit for all his antics. Maybe his oligarch friends will tell him to knock it off for what it's doing to their holdings!

Nope. Not a good day to buy stocks. The drop today is well within the normal range and not a "blood in the streets" drop. I suggest waiting. I will note any purchases in my Market Timing newsletter.

However, if you wish to make some tax-loss harvesting moves, go ahead. But be prepared to make some more TLH moves in the near future.

No newsletter necessary. I have virtually perfect timing.

I get it wrong virtually every time. So just do the opposite of everything I do and I bet you won't go wrong.

Nope. Not a good day to buy stocks. The drop today is well within the normal range and not a "blood in the streets" drop. I suggest waiting. I will note any purchases in my Market Timing newsletter.

However, if you wish to make some tax-loss harvesting moves, go ahead. But be prepared to make some more TLH moves in the near future.

How about the non-US stocks?
The decline in EU and emerging markets is greater than that of US.

No newsletter necessary. I have virtually perfect timing. I get it wrong virtually every time. So just do the opposite of everything I do and I bet you won't go wrong.
You've got nothing on me. I'm the king of bad timing! :)

I have some scars from years ago to prove the saying about catching falling knives!

I bought some Clorox today being eying it for some time, still 8% more than I wanted to pay, but better a great company at a fair price, that fair company at good price.

How about the non-US stocks?
The decline in EU and emerging markets is greater than that of US.
Nope. The decline is really nothing much and well within the normal volatility of these things. For example, VWO dropped just 1.7% today. It would probably need to drop over 3% in a single day before I got interested. Two or three days in a row of 2% drops would not even be enough.

I've had some cash sitting on the sidelines waiting for a big one day drop. I know, I know...market timing. Well, it seems like as good a day as any to start buying. Nothing exciting for me here, just the usual index funds. Orders have all been placed.

Anyone else using today's drop to catch up on putting some cash into the markets?
Ah, a market timer. Good luck.

Yes it is! As well as the next day, next day, and so on. Everyday is a good time to buy stocks when if you have a long horizon.

Leave market timing to the professionals to screw up. Or have fun trying like me the amateur that I am lol

Sent from my HTC One using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

What Turboslacker said. I occasionally hold off on a sale or purchase for a short time, but not expecting large differences.

I bought the airlines at the open this morning. I was up nicely at the end of the day.

dang, I missed it :facepalm:... Dow is up 197.47 today (Tuesday morning):)... maybe I should sell, then buy back in when it drops...:cool:

Last edited:
It looks like I might have picked an OK day to buy some stocks yesterday. But knowing my luck, the Dow will reverse course by this afternoon.

The short term market seems to over react to news stories both up and down. No wonder why market timing is such a bad idea.

Guess you were right....S and P up 25pts!

Back
Top Bottom