Govt shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if a government employee gets sent home during the shutdown without pay, but later gets paid for that time, isn't that a paid vacation?
Seems like it's better than a layoff when someone is working in private industry. Been there!
Trying not to be political and not blaming either party because BOTH parties are to blame.
Oh yeah, I heard that the congress will get paid...

No — a paid vacation is when you get paid while you’re on vacation — you can still make your rent, feed your family and pay your bills. This is more like when your union votes to go on strike; sure, you hope the union negotiates a back pay deal as part of the resolution but in the meantime you don’t have a way to support your family.

We live in a country that is at odds with itself. But I think most countries are divided. States are divided. Communities are divided. Parties are divided. So here we are with low inflation. Low unemployment. Low interest rates. Prosperity is abundant. Success fragments while crisis unites. Seems like our govt is addicted to crisis. Its like a properous country living paycheck to paycheck.

Didn't Warren Buffett say something like this would be resolved if those who were negotiating had some skin in the game?

Would be great if those we elect were eating the sausage they are making for us.
+1000

This in a nutshell has become the root cause of so many issues.

re: the shutdown

This can be verified. It is true that workers get back pay for a shutdown.

No, they aren’t guaranteed any back pay...
even those who are in “essential “ status don’t get paid immediately, but only when a final budget is enacted.

in the past, the lawmakers enacted a bill that ** did ** pay those who were furloughed but that is a case by case situation and there certainly is no guarantee that it will happen this time. further, despite the fact that you are furloughed, you are not allowed to get a job to tide you over, nor can you take a vacation... you are basically on-call subject to being recalled at any time. if you don’t return when they do call, that can be grounds for action including dismissal. paperwork to that effect is given to all employees subject to furlough

It seems to me the ones that get screwed the most are those of us that visit national parks and forests.
Last shut down I was out west, signs up saying to stay out of parks and forest, but we could still hear lumber being taken down. Mining ops didn't shut down either.
That was a political game. National parks are not shutting down this time.

Who can forget the specter of veterans unable to visit the open air WW2 monument, which the government had barricaded "closed" for political effect?

Sillliness.

Didn't Warren Buffett say something like this would be resolved if those who were negotiating had some skin in the game?

Would be great if those we elect were eating the sausage they are making for us.

+1000

This in a nutshell has become the root cause of so many issues.

I heard a news report listing all of the different government employees that would not be, or delayed in, getting paid. The news report said that congress, however, would continue to receive timely paychecks.....:mad::mad::mad:

In two weeks DH and I have appointments for our interviews to obtain Global Entry. I wonder if it's going to happen. It's a bit of a drive-2 hours each way. My guess is we'll have to reschedule.

Well, the government is shut down. It will be interesting to see the effects. if it continues very long I expect all of us will be impacted in some way...probably much more negatively than we could have imagined.

It seems to me the ones that get screwed the most are those of us that visit national parks and forests.
Last shut down I was out west, signs (went) up saying to stay out of parks and forest.

On the news it was said that this was a deliberate choice by the last administration, and this time the parks may remain open.

I'm so grateful to have FIREd on 12/15/2017. As a former state employee who oversaw federal funds received by our agency - it was always a circus answering all of the questions from the Governors Office and other stakeholders on what the effects would be on our agency. Usually, quite minimal - BUT you always had to expect the unexpected.

I

Ha, ha, ha, and I sent in my passport for renewal last week. But it looks like it is safe.

STATE DEPARTMENT

Many State Department operations will continue in a shutdown. Passport and visa processing, which are largely self-funded by consumer fees, will not shut down. The agency's main headquarters in Washington, in consultation with the nearly 300 embassies, consulates and other diplomatic missions around the world, will draw up lists of nonessential employees who will be furloughed.

The media keeps trying to make me care. Another 'end of life as we know it' screed.

Right now the only thing I care about is the Jags/Pats game on Sunday. Priorities folks.

Well, the government is shut down. It will be interesting to see the effects. if it continues very long I expect all of us will be impacted in some way...probably much more negatively than we could have imagined.

Having seen a few shutdowns before, I never noticed a difference. Traffic was a bit lighter, so that was plus.

I did notice the Government spent a few more hours closing unmanned places like boat launches and highway rest areas.

In the end, it's a plus for anyone that gets the free days off.

As a federal employee one rub that it's me is that I am paid using what is called "3 year money" meaning you get it in chunks and can dispurse it over a three year period. During the last shutdown and presumably this one, I will be unaffected and report to work as usual and be paid as such in two weeks. One silver lining for those feds that don't save properly and are affected is that this past Thursday was payday so effects really wouldn't be noticed for at least two weeks.

Having seen a few shutdowns before, I never noticed a difference.

In general, what my local mayor does affects me more than anything the Feds have ever done. This'll all be over by Tuesday.

Am I starting to notice a lack of empathy on the whole shutdown business? I guess when it happens or threatens to happen year to year the fear begins to wear off. Maybe they'll have to come up with another way to scare us (taxpayers) into squeezing more money out of us.
BTW I have absolutely no sympathy for wasteful gov't spending. CUT THE SPENDING! darn it!

Am I starting to notice a lack of empathy on the whole shutdown business? I guess when it happens or threatens to happen year to year the fear begins to wear off

Well, last week the media was pushing 'end of life as we know it' over a normal snowstorm here in New England. One local news anchor wondered aloud how many people would die from the snow (10 inches).

So yeah, the fear has worn off. Long ago.

No, they aren’t guaranteed any back pay...
even those who are in “essential “ status don’t get paid immediately, but only when a final budget is enacted.

in the past, the lawmakers enacted a bill that ** did ** pay those who were furloughed but that is a case by case situation and there certainly is no guarantee that it will happen this time. further, despite the fact that you are furloughed, you are not allowed to get a job to tide you over, nor can you take a vacation... you are basically on-call subject to being recalled at any time. if you don’t return when they do call, that can be grounds for action including dismissal. paperwork to that effect is given to all employees subject to furlough
What you are saying is that they get back pay. Which is what I said.
I did not mention immediately.

For me, not lack of empathy, but tired the issues used as political footballs in the powers that be in Washinton.

One step forward, two steps back, three steps sideways. Got better things to do than watch the powers that be jerkiny everyone around.

I do feel for those caught in the middle and have their situations in limo while the blame game goes on.

Not all get sent home. During the 1995-96 4-week shutdown, I was considered "essential" and went to work. I even got paid, but would have loved a 4-week "vacation" like many others got.

So if a government employee gets sent home during the shutdown without pay, but later gets paid for that time, isn't that a paid vacation?
Seems like it's better than a layoff when someone is working in private industry. Been there!

Taking your points (bolded above, in order)
- Agree that the nincompoops ARE the problem
- If they will be paid any way, why not just have them all report to work? Having them all stay home is part of the political theater:D
- Can' t argue with that too much. But I guess that means they are "non-essential". In which case, why do we need them?:D

Still reading, but want to comment on your last stmt...

non-essential means can this be put off a bit.... does it affect health and safety.... as an example, the HR people are non-essential, but you will not get a paycheck without them.... many more examples, but you know this anyhow...

Does anyone know anyone who missed a pay check from a govt shutdown? Has anyone ever seen any evidence that Wall st has ever been effected by a shutdown?

I don't know anyone, personally, who missed a paycheck from a government shutdown, but as evidenced by some of the other posts here, it has happened. I just got lucky both times.

As for the stock market, I did keep some data from the 2013 shutdown, so some of these numbers might be useful. They sent us home on 10/1, and we came back on 10/16. My rate of return on investments, for the year, was at around 15.1% as of 9/30. On 10/4 it was 15%. Dropped a bit to 12.5% on 10/9. 16.7% as of 10/17. And I went on to finish 2013 up 23.1%.

So, looking at it from a stock market perspective, it seemed like a good thing. Still, it hurt a lot of people.

As someone else pointed out, the last shutdown seemed to be made harsher by intent... he said a number of places will stay open that were not open last time, but the employees will not be getting a paycheck.... this hinted that they will eventually get one for the work they do..

There are people who will be told to stay home.. no idea, but I would bet they will be paid...

[mod edit]

I think they will do a shorter term CR in a day or two and just keep doing this for awhile... but then again, I have a bad track record with gvmt predictions....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom