Handling discretionary expenses in RE

I don't travel, so my discretionary spending might be a little less than yours.

Social Security, my mini-pension, and my RMDs all come to my bank account on a monthly basis. At the end of the month, if I have enough for something I want, then I buy it. If I don't, I wait.

Normally if this develops into an unspent excess in my bank account by the end of the year, I invest it at that time according to my planned asset allocation. I seldom if ever sell any of my portfolio and withdraw it; money goes in, but not out.

In the unlikely event that I wanted to buy something extremely expensive, then I might leave the excess there in the bank and let it accumulate until it was sufficient. That's what I did during the 4 years when I was looking for my Dream Home. Once I found the right house and paid for everything in cash, well, that took care of the excess in my bank account plus a little more that had accumulated within my portfolio. After the house purchase I went back to investing the excess in my bank account at the end of each year and not selling any of my portfolio.

Not to change the subject. But, it is good to see you commenting again W2R. I was worried about you considering the storms/hurricanes that were down in your area.

Back
Top Bottom