Hard Reminder: Health is not Certain

Glad to hear your wife is recovering.
Another reason to do the things you really want to do and not think you can just do it in a few years, especially us older folk.

The insurance point has occured to me on several occasions.

There is also the unseen costs that crop up. I've had to jump the train into London several times. Usually with DD or my brother who came to help. £40 round trip tickets, £10 to park. Easy enough for me, but really a burden for lots of people. I'm hiring some help around the house for when I go back to work in January. Totally not even an option for most people.

The whole thing has me thinking about how to better support people in these situations. A $500 debit card to a family with a sick loved one could be huge.

A friend of mine was at UC San Francisco for a month. They charge like $20 a day for parking. I think that is criminal. I can see it for non family visitors but it seems like the hospital should give a parking pass to each patient. Another friend of mine had retired from UCSF a few months before my friend got sick. She had a ton of free parking stickers (I think some were for days and some were for free hours). She gave them to my sick friend's wife who used them every day for a month. She swears she used the last one on the day they transferred him to rehab.

At the time, I thought that the hospital should have a fund for cases like this. It is one thing to be in the hospital for a day or two (though that could be a hardship for some) but for a month, it is a hardship for many! I think my friend saved over $700 by having the parking stickers.

Hi everyone.

I thought you would enjoy a happy update:

DW came off of the ventilator! All of the life threatening issues appear to be in the rear-view mirror. Still some hard yards ahead, but a major victory.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!

Hi everyone.

DW came off of the ventilator! All of the life threatening issues appear to be in the rear-view mirror. Still some hard yards ahead, but a major victory.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!

YAH!!:dance: I agree about 2020.

Hi everyone.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!

The best kind of update!

Cheers!

Hi everyone.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!

Great to hear. Onward to 2021.

Hi everyone.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!

Yay! Great news!

Great news to end the year with. :dance:

Hi everyone.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!

Tremendous news! Yay!

Great to win one once in a while! Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!

Thank God for your good news!

I second your emotion about 2020. Here is hoping that 2021 is a much better year for all of us.

OP - Your post literally brought tears to my eyes, then I had to read the next 4 pages of posts, hoping the news would continue to improve.

A big reminder that health is really important and should not be taken for granted.

Thanks for sharing such a moving story, best wishes for a continued recovery of your spouse. :flowers:

Hi Everyone.

Hope 2021 is treating you well.

Its treating us well: DW has been released from the hospital and is back home. Against all odds, she's on a road to a full recovery. It will likely be 6-9 months before she's really back up to speed, but it all looks good.

The world decided to throw her one more twist. She developed shingles before leaving the hospital. This is apparently not uncommon from people who've been in critical care for so long. Stress and steroids are both triggers it turns out.

So, she has really painful shingles that are complicating her physical recovery...but these will pass as well.

All things considered...best possible outcome.

So happy for both of you!! Sorry about the shingles.

Hi Everyone.

Hope 2021 is treating you well.

Its treating us well: DW has been released from the hospital and is back home. Against all odds, she's on a road to a full recovery. It will likely be 6-9 months before she's really back up to speed, but it all looks good.

The world decided to throw her one more twist. She developed shingles before leaving the hospital. This is apparently not uncommon from people who've been in critical care for so long. Stress and steroids are both triggers it turns out.

So, she has really painful shingles that are complicating her physical recovery...but these will pass as well.

All things considered...best possible outcome.

So glad your wife is out of the hospital but so sorry about the Shingles. I had a terrible case of Shingles when I was 50 and then twice more later--if your wife needs some suggestions for pain I can tell you what I did --gabapentin, lidocaine pain patches once the rash heals, acupuncture later on. In a few months your wife needs to get the Shingrix vaccine since Shingles can come back over and over. PM me if you need more info on Shingles, I feel like I am an "expert."

Glad to hear of the good progress. Was given a lesson 1st hand on December 29th.
Fell 28 Ft out of a tree... 2 days after finalizing my retirement plans.
Nothing major broke, but still stove up and out of work

Glad to hear of the good progress. Was given a lesson 1st hand on December 29th.
Fell 28 Ft out of a tree... 2 days after finalizing my retirement plans.
Nothing major broke, but still stove up and out of work

Oh no Old Medic! Hope you heal soon. We have an iron clad rule in our house--no getting on a ladder more than 2 steps high. If something needs to be done that requires more than a 2 step high ladder we hire it out.

OP--Such good news overall! Glad your wife is doing better, hopefully the shingles will subside soon, also.

Hi everyone.

I thought I would do one last update to close off this thread:

DW is doing great. She took the dog for a 3.5 mile walk this week. Still dealing with lingering shingles issues, but everything else is on track and really ahead of what we might have expected.

Thanks for everyone's kind interest.

Back
Top Bottom