Healthcare Related REIT (NHI) In The Time Of Corona

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
By far, my worst performer since the corona-virus pandemic began is NHI.

National Health Investors (REIT)
NHI's portfolio consists of independent, assisted & memory care communities, entrance-fee retirement communities, skilled nursing facilities, medical office buildings & specialty hospitals.

Googled 'are nursing homes liable for corona deaths'
Found that while plenty of lawyers/firms are lining up to take cases, no cases have actually gone to trial yet, so no idea what the outcome might be ?

Realize that this wouldn't effect NHI directly, but if lawsuits were allowed to go forward, it could certainly have an effect on it's tenants ability to pay them rent in the future. The fact that it was trading at $90.00 5 weeks ago, & under $40.00 today, leads me to believe that the street is looking at lawsuits as a distinct possibility.

Another concern: (NHI) is a real estate investment trust specializing in sale-leaseback, joint-venture, mortgage & mezzanine financing of need-driven and discretionary senior housing and medical investments'

Mezzanine debt bridges the gap between debt & equity financing & is one of the highest-risk forms of debt. ... However, this means that it also offers some of the highest returns when compared to other debt types, as it often receives rates between 12% and 20% per year.

Anyone else with healthcare related REIT's concerned about any/all of this ?

Last edited:
My armchair assesment: looking out 2 years , the healthcare reits will do much better than other type commercial real estate reits. The underlying business of healthcare reit's is sound.

Many of those general commercial RE reits will not survive, even with .5 % loans from the guberment.

My armchair assesment: looking out 2 years , the healthcare reits will do much better than other type commercial real estate reits. The underlying business of healthcare reit's is sound.
My feelings exactly. Let's hope we're right :)

Back
Top Bottom