High paying govt jobs

In fact, the only way I can see that we could reverse the private sector top level pay gap is through Government policy - I'm not advocating that, by the way, but the market will not do it no matter how many people find the practices reprehensible. By contrast, getting rid of whole groups of politicians you don't like is child's play.
Much of the problem is the incestuous nature of so many corporate board rooms. Many times, you have Company A executives sitting on Company B's board of directors, and the Company B execs are on A's board. So it's easy for them to rubber stamp outrageous compensation packages as a quid pro quo.

Getting rid of entrenched groups of politicians is easy? Have you seen the rate at which incumbents in Congress are re-elected? Or how much special interest money flows to them?

Here are the salaries of all the major conference football coaches.
How many of these are being paid with our tax dollars? :mad:

Pac-10 football coaching salaries

Not arguing, just tellin' ya how they are paid. The university kicks in some of that, but a LOT of it comes from athletic boosters (rich alums) at the university.............;)

Where do voters get input in what public sector employees are paid? We have no say in what these folks make; as a taxpayer I can't vote on whether $100K annually is fair wage for the municipal garbageman who dropped out of high school and that $40K is a fair wage for a schoolteacher with a masters degree, or whether they deserve merit increases or an annual COLA. Where do I get to vote on my tax dollars going to pay the the State College football coach $1.2 million?
You make it sound like voters don't elect the people who make the hiring and salary decisions. But they do.

If your ballot has no candidate who is standing on a platform of reducing the salaries of municipal employees, that would appear to be a prime opportunity to stand yourself - that's what makes democracy so cool. Or, campaign for candidates who support such policies in the primaries, caucuses, and other candidate selection meetings of the party of your choice.

I suspect that overall, you'd have more chance of halving the salary of the manager of a city with 40,000 souls and perhaps 20,000 voters, than you would of halving the pay of the CEO of a company with 40,000 employees and 20,000 shareholders.

You make it sound like voters don't elect the people who make the hiring and salary decisions. But they do.

Right. Sounds great, but in the real world it's the fox guarding the henhouse.

I can choose not to buy from a company, but I can't choose who I want to deal with regard to non-elected positions within the public sector. Try telling the city or county that you have contracted with a lower-cost provider for your share of road maintenance or education, for example; so you won't be supporting them with your tax dollars anymore.

Right. Sounds great, but in the real world it's the fox guarding the henhouse.
I'm not saying it's easy. But how many people would it take in a 20,000 voter community to get the pols scared enough that they would do at least something about it? I'm guessing that you'd never be able to organise a consumer boycott that would have the same effect. C'mon, reducing overpaid government workers' salaries, should be a slam dunk, who's going to vote against that? (Well, apart from the government workers :LOL:, but presumably they're in a minority, or their salaries would be coming from their own taxes.)

Not arguing, just tellin' ya how they are paid. The university kicks in some of that, but a LOT of it comes from athletic boosters (rich alums) at the university.............;)

Thesee are (nearly) all State salaries- not counting what they get from Alums, Corporate sponsors, and the Media as perks, speaking fees, and other deals to boost their woefully inadequate state salaries.

Not a big collegiate sports fan in any sense of the word here, and not to justify what they make, but Division I college football coaches have to have one of the most stressful jobs (it hurts my stomach watching their faces during a bowl game, not to mention all the parties who weigh in on their performance) and are working all the time and are in charge of a revenue-producing function for their schools. I sort of take them out of my usual salary consideration outrage because of that :)

An American relative of DH's went to work for a European company's US subsidiary as president; his salary wasn't anything special, maybe 250K, but it was more than his European equivalents, including the corp. CEO, and caused a lot of hard feelings.

It's also hard to see the high municipal salaries in the OP when most municipalities are having their workers take unpaid furlough days; imho those days should be determined by salary--the more you make, the more days off you have to take.

Not a big collegiate sports fan in any sense of the word here, and not to justify what they make, but Division I college football coaches have to have one of the most stressful jobs (it hurts my stomach watching their faces during a bowl game, not to mention all the parties who weigh in on their performance) and are working all the time and are in charge of a revenue-producing function for their schools. I sort of take them out of my usual salary consideration outrage because of that :)
And maybe it's a sign that society has warped priorities, but the bottom line is that Mack Brown is helping to generate gazillions of dollars for Longhorns Incorporated while your average chemistry professor isn't, and that helps dictate compensation.

Yep, that's exactly the "revenue-producing function" I was referring to.

No TV contracts for chemistry teams.

Don....

It sounds like you're justifying the salaries of the Bell, Calif officials by saying some CEO's are outrageously paid too. Is that what you actually mean?
No absolutely not. I would have been content if this thread simply groused about Bell as an example of corruption or government run amok -- it appears to be so. I was reacting to this:
The pundits who decry private sector bonus plans, and rail about egregious executive compensation? Can't wait to hear them try to defend this bit of chicanery...
. Bell is not representative of government salaries -- far from it. And to compare an outlier like this to the situation with CEO salaries, well...enough said above.

An American relative of DH's went to work for a European company's US subsidiary as president; his salary wasn't anything special, maybe 250K, but it was more than his European equivalents, including the corp. CEO, and caused a lot of hard feelings.
I read somewhere that when Daimler merged with Chrysler, there were senior German managers coming to the US and finding that people three levels below them in the hierarchy were making more money.

On the other hand, the minimum wage in most Western European countries is higher than in the US. Not something you can raise a family on by yourself, but in France a couple with two fulltime minimum wage earners and a couple of kids will not be living in poverty - and they will have the same health coverage as everybody else.

Don....

It sounds like you're justifying the salaries of the Bell, Calif officials by saying some CEO's are outrageously paid too. Is that what you actually mean?
I do not think that he's justifying the exorbitant pay of executives in either sectors. He's trying to say that do not just pick on the public sector.

I do not think that he's justifying the exorbitant pay of executives in either sectors. He's trying to say that do not just pick on the public sector.
Agreed that private sector CEO pay is often ridiculous, but as a consumer of goods offered by private companies, I have choice. As a taxpayer funding public salaries, I do not. I sometimes have market-based choices to deal with excessive private sector executive pay that I don't have with public sector pay.

Agreed that private sector CEO pay is often ridiculous, but as a consumer of goods offered by private companies, I have choice. As a taxpayer funding public salaries, I do not. I sometimes have market-based choices to deal with excessive private sector executive pay that I don't have with public sector pay.
You have roughly the same chance of changing the CEO's salary by not buying company X's goods and services, as you do of changing the public employee's by voting. Small in either case, but in both cases it's plausible to imagine a campaign being organised.

Indeed, I think there's a very high likelihood that the voters of Bell will get together and organise just such an operation, thus disproving your position (except that you probably don't live in that town).

It will be interesting to see how the new UK government gets to grips with public sector pay. Before the recent election, the Conservatives promised that anyone in the public sector earning more than the Prime Minister ($220K or so) would need to have that signed off by the national Finance minister. It turns out that there's a lot of those people...

If I don't like private sector executive pay, I can choose not to do business with companies that award it. I have no such choice with my tax dollars, which is why I find it more objectionable in the public sector.

I think this comparison is unfair - effect of you not doing business with a company which pays humongous CEO pay is about the same as the effect of your vote during election of an official into public office...

Update: reading down the thread looks like BigNick pointed out the same thing.

I think this comparison is unfair - effect of you not doing business with a company which pays humongous CEO pay is about the same as the effect of your vote during election of an official into public office...
No sale.

If I decide not to do business with a private enterprise because their executive pay is excessive, there is a 0% chance they get my money. No "majority of voters" can force me to buy their products or services.

If I *prefer* not to elect officials who provide public sector compensation we can't afford, there's still a good chance (50% + 1) of the voters will overrule me and require me to pay up for it anyway.

No sale.

If I decide not to do business with a private enterprise because their executive pay is excessive, there is a 0% chance they get my money. No "majority of voters" can force me to buy their products or services.

If I *prefer* not to elect officials who provide public sector compensation we can't afford, there's still a good chance (50% + 1) of the voters will overrule me and require me to pay up for it anyway.

You could easily reverse your arguments just as well.

In first case, majority of people doing business with the company "overrule" you and the CEO still gets the big salary.

In the second case, there is 0% chance the official gets your vote.

Point is, whatever you do, you have same minuscule chances of affecting the outcome you are trying to "fight" in the first place.

You could easily reverse your arguments just as well.

In first case, majority of people doing business with the company "overrule" you and the CEO still gets the big salary.

In the second case, there is 0% chance the official gets your vote.

Point is, whatever you do, you have same minuscule chances of affecting the outcome you are trying to "fight" in the first place.

I think you are missing Ziggy's point... or just want to argue... he is not saying he IS affecting the CEO salary with what he does... he is saying he has a choice to buy or not buy from a private enterprise...

If you live in a taxing district, you do NOT have this choice. If they pay way to much for someone... it is out of Ziggy's pocket.. (or yours or mine)...

In the first case, no money out of pocket, in the second, money is out...

As an example... some people in our area wanted us to be part of a community college... so they tried to get the voters to elect to be part of the tax base... it got voted down big time... that did not stop them.. they did all the legal things to bring it to a vote on a Saturday with only this being on the ballot... and the polling places were not the normal places... (I voted in someone garage)... this time, it was passed.. with less than 5% of the people voting... (it barely passed at that)...

Now, we are stuck with paying taxes to this taxing district FOREVER... and the taxes keep going up because they are getting less funding from the state and don't want to raise tuition.... so even a 50% plus 1 is not what is needed.... having a sneeky election that few people know about in a location that nobody knows can do it also... all legal I might add...

Back
Top Bottom