Historical CD rates vs Inflation

This provides an interesting perspective on the past value of CDs in retirement. The big question for me is "What changed in the early 2000's?".

I think the nature of the worker/economy relationship changed. Up until then, workers were collectively much more so an equal stakeholder in the economy. Starting roughly in 1996 and cemented in 2001, workers are now almost exclusively strictly resources in the context of our economy.

This provides an interesting perspective on the past value of CDs in retirement. The big question for me is "What changed in the early 2000's?".
Look up "Financial Repression" and you'll find that during periods of Fed easing, when the Fed keeps interest rates low to aid recovery from a financial crisis and associated recession, CD rates are usually below inflation.

I think the nature of the worker/economy relationship changed. Up until then, workers were collectively much more so an equal stakeholder in the economy. Starting roughly in 1996 and cemented in 2001, workers are now almost exclusively strictly resources in the context of our economy.
That's more an explanation of why inflation remains low, and is a result of globalization.

Back
Top Bottom