Home repair ripoffs

Seems like everyone likes to talk about toilets.

I wasted $75 because I thought I knew where our septic tank was. I'd found a lid, but it turned out it was just the lid to a switch for choosing between two drainage fields. So it cost $75 for the cleaner guy to probe and locate the tank. Made careful measurements and notes for next time.

Shouldn't TheFed have something to say about duct cleaning?

TromboneAl said:
I wasted $75 because I thought I knew where our septic tank was. I'd found a lid, but it turned out it was just the lid to a switch for choosing between two drainage fields. So it cost $75 for the cleaner guy to probe and locate the tank. Made careful measurements and notes for next time.

When we built our house 23 years ago I measured the distance to the cleanout on the septic tank from two places relative to my house.

Once, when I had it cleaned I clearly marked where the opening was and pointed it out to the "honey dipper." He just looked at me and said "Naw, that's not where they'd put it." For about 20 minutes he tried to find it everywhere but where I'd marked. He just refused to look where I told him. Finally, I went inside on purpose to give him a chance to save face (and stop him from digging up my whole yard) and just like that he found it. He refused to talk directly to me after that.

Mike D.

MikeD said:
When we built our house 23 years ago I measured the distance to the cleanout on the septic tank from two places relative to my house.

Once, when I had it cleaned I clearly marked where the opening was and pointed it out to the "honey dipper." He just looked at me and said "Naw, that's not where they'd put it." For about 20 minutes he tried to find it everywhere but where I'd marked. He just refused to look where I told him. Finally, I went inside on purpose to give him a chance to save face (and stop him from digging up my whole yard) and just like that he found it. He refused to talk directly to me after that.

Mike D.
Very amusing. Good thing that he wasn't a doctor looking for your appendix.

Back
Top Bottom