Homeowners insurance

MrsHaloFIRE

Full time employment: Posting here.
Buying our retirement house. We've rented since we've been married but have USAA on a small rental property we own. I mocked up a quite online in usaa, redacted all the charges (as suggested on here) and sent them to an insurance broker. Im also going to get a quote from my realtor insurance guy which is Travelers.

I know usaa will pay out because they just coughed up a new roof on our rental with no questions asked. But their rates are coming back high. Primarily due to their valuing the rebuild cost almost 40pct higher than everyone else.

What should I be cautious of? How have you been burned? What questions should I ask?

Thanks in advance

Do you also have vehicles with USAA? We're in a state that gets a hurricane from time to time, and although I'm 400 miles away we pay for those hurricanes in high premiums. It's difficult to get homeowners policies here unless you bundle auto insurance with the homeowners. If not, they'll get you for about 30% more in premiums.

Not much you can do about the 40% premium increase. I'd go over the specifics on the house again with the agent. Just a little mistake or two by the secretary can cost them some business. (Many ins. co's use the same computer system, so there should be some consistency if the info is the same.)

Back
Top Bottom