Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I donated mine to the San Diego Food Bank. They have a very efficient program and are able to reach a lot of people in need. We don't need the money and there are so many people in need right now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH is a spender and I am a saver. He wants his $600 to buy stuff. The other half will go into our general savings. There’s nothing that I need to spend it on right now.

Then there’s DHs broken crown a few weeks ago. $699 even with our dental discount plan. There goes my half!

We gave away half of our previous stimulus. This time we’re keeping it.

And stimulating the dentist.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm going to give 100% of it back. Plus a lot more $$$$.........

in the form of a 1040ES payment for a Roth conversion I did yesterday!
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That is the philosophical issue I have with the stimulus payments... most people I know, even our kids, don't really need the money (they have not lost their jobs). I would prefer that the stimulus be targeted to those who need it more... people who have lost their jobs as a result of covid, are behind on their rent or mortgage, etc. But I guess that would be too complicated.
In general I agree with you.

I know people like to focus on the stimulus payments, but I do want to mention that there are other parts in the CARES Act and this latest additional bill that do have additional targeted relief. There is the PPP program, additional unemployment funds, student loan forebearance, and eviction protection, just to name some. They also gave some money to college students on federal aid.

It is more complicated, and I'm sure we could all find something to fault with the laws our elected representatives passed. My only point is that they did try to do both broad stimulus and targeted relief.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

No check(s) coming here.... What a surprise......
Old 12-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We're not getting one, and nor should we. This year has been as good as any recent ones to us financially.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Because my 2019 income was too big, I won't get a check. However, because my 2020 income is much lower, small enough to qualify for a check, I will receive it in the form of a tax credit on my 2020 taxes. I do expect to owe some money with my 2020 taxes, so the $600 "check" will be used to turn that tax bill into a tax refund (which I will save or invest somewhere TBD).

Thankfully, they used my 2018 income to determine I should get a check back in May even though I had just filed my 2019 taxes.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #28

Quote:
It will go into our checking account and sit there like the first stimulus payment did.

That is the philosophical issue I have with the stimulus payments... most people I know, even our kids, don't really need the money (they have not lost their jobs). I would prefer that the stimulus be targeted to those who need it more... people who have lost their jobs as a result of covid, are behind on their rent or mortgage, etc. But I guess that would be too complicated.
That's actually my sentiment, as well. When the first one came through, mine was reduced, because my AGI was in the phaseout threshold. But honestly, I didn't care. I wasn't hurting, and I didn't need it.

My housemate, who has been working through this whole period, got the full amount. It was definitely helpful for him, as he had some bills, but he wasn't experiencing any kind of hardship from COVID, as he never got laid off. So he wasn't any worse off financially, than before it.

My uncle, who's retired and on SS, got the full amount. Again, it was helpful for him, but he was another one...not affected by COVID, at least from a monthly income standpoint. Now his IRA took a hit when the market dipped, but he's not old enough to start his RMDs yet, so he never had to touch it. And it's come back since, and then some.

Likewise, my Mom and stepdad are long since retired, and drawing pensions. I think they actually got the full amount, because their AGI was just under the phase out threshold. But again, no financial hardship on their part.

But, I think they were in a rush to get some kind of package out, and this was the quickest way to go. The cruel irony though, is that you could have had someone who had AGI of over $99K in 2018, got laid off in early 2019, but didn't get around to filing their 2019 taxes until late. The IRS would have based the stimulus on their 2018 taxes, and with their AGI being too high, they'd get nothing. Yet they're currently unemployed, hurting for money, and the very poster child for someone who would need the stimulus.

I wonder, in a situation like that, if this hypothetical person filed their 2019 taxes, and it now showed they qualified, if they could apply and get that first stimulus check sent to them?
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I wonder, in a situation like that, if this hypothetical person filed their 2019 taxes, and it now showed they qualified, if they could apply and get that first stimulus check sent to them?
Yes, they get it as a refund on their 2020 taxes.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ours was just deposited about an hour ago. DH asked what were doing with it. Last time we donated half to the food bank. I imagine we’ll probably give all of it to the food bank this time. So many folks need it more than us.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #31

Got $1,200 today. Gonna use it for gasoline, heading out on a long RV trip next month.
RetireAge50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Totally agreed. I don't get one but it would have been fairly easy to target those who have been on the unemployment rolls for the past X months (casting a wide net because even those who found jobs recently may need to catch up). I don't get sending it to people on SS, which certainly hasn't been affected by COVID, or those whose jobs haven't been affected.

If I had gotten a check it would have gone to charity.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Ours will go to our niece. She’s a college student, trying hard to avoid debt. Works almost 30 hours/week in school full time with no help from her parents (neither would even agree to fill out the FAFSA for aid). Has a longer intensive student-teaching gig coming up in which her advisor has warned her she won’t be able to work, and was planning to sell her little nest egg of Starbucks stock. Maybe this will keep her from further debt and eliminating her only investments.

This will do a lot more good for someone on the brink of poverty than for us.
Extra Medium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Buying new underwear.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #35

I just saw that ours are 'pending' in our checking account.

Will probably deploy similar to last time - targeted take-out restaurant food with larger than normal tips - want to keep our small, independently owned restaurants in business. No chain restaurants - just 3 local, family owned joints that would make me sad if they went out of business.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Just picked up 2 orders of Wor Wonton soup for lunch. Twenty dollars and 45 cents. Gave 'em $25, keep the change!
Old 12-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #37

Quote:
It will go into our checking account and sit there like the first stimulus payment did.

Agree totally. We are going to give one to a food bank and one to a nephew who lost his job. Makes no sense why we, or I'd bet anyone on this board got money
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:23 PM   #38

I won't get it if they go off my 2019 income, but my return still hasn't been processed based on the notice I got from the IRS, so I may still get this stimulus.

If so, I'll stimulate the economy and eat out again about two weeks after my second dose of the vaccine in January, and donate more to the food pantry.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #39

Not sure we will get it, but it was an excuse for DW to donate $800 to the local no-kill animal shelter. If we do get it, think we will just send the rest there.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:41 PM   #40

We donated to food banks and once our local small businesses were allowed to open in the summer, we made an effort to dine at small local restaurants and gave substantial tips to staff. Also very large tips to our dog groomer, hair stylist and local coffee shops/bakeries. Also paid 1/2 of check to an out of work friend (mountaineer) to lead an 8-day backpack trip in the Olympic mountain wilderness.

Will do similar with the upcoming stimulus.