How are you going to spend (or not) your stimulus check?

I’ve been supporting small businesses, including some in Scotland, England, and Estonia, as well as more locally.

I'll be using it to pay for the GRE and grad school application fees.

Last edited:
Now the question is how are we going to spend the extra $2,800 per couple coming in a month or two?

I’ll worry about spending the extra $1400 dollars when I get it. Mostly likely it will go to my children who were hit hard by the COVID shutdowns of businesses and schools.

Not retired yet and not eligible for a govt check. I prefer not being eligible and letting it go to those that really do need it.

Now the question is how are we going to spend the extra $2,800 per couple coming in a month or two?

Heh, heh, take a flier on a hot stock - or, in my case (probably) buy a new dental bridge. Old one is loose. I've been putting off dental visits because, well, you know. YMMV

if we receive anything it, like the other, will go to local charity. we have no need of it.

Last edited:
I invested the first stimulus check in foreign stock which has done really well. This second stimulus check I invested in a couple Cruise companies which is performing about what you'd expect but I hope that in three years will have doubled the money.

Like many I don't feel like I should have received any money (still working), but apparently I'm not the generous person I thought I was. Though I did give a bunch already to the foodbank, but I confess my goal was maxing out my employer's match amount when they had a double match day on Giving Tuesday. I like spending their money, heh heh heh.

We are going to donate most of it to the local food bank, same as last stimulus check. I really can't bear to see kids going hungry. :(

We aren’t getting one because we had a small refund coming last year so my husband refused to file them. Because we are divorcing he had to do them quickly 2 weeks ago so we each can qualify for a mortgage. My son said we can claim it on 2020 taxes. So happy I won’t have to deal with this garbage in the future.

Everything going toward LASEK surgery this week for my youngest son since they want to fly for the military like their older brother...different branch, though.

He got his LASIK surgery on the government's dime at Walter Reed, but only after signing his contract at the beginning of junior year.

Everything going toward LASEK surgery this week for my youngest son since they want to fly for the military like their older brother...different branch, though.

He got his LASIK surgery on the government's dime at Walter Reed, but only after signing his contract at the beginning of junior year.

Rats! I wanted to fly for the military when I was of that age, but you had to have 20/20 and PRK (at the time) was disqualifying. Interesting that LASIK is apparently OK now.

with no effect on SS, pension, or TSP withdrawals, I feel almost guilty getting them as I don't need it. have given couple chunks to food banks and grossly overtip at restaurants

Received stimulus of $700 and change. Whenever we get a little “extra” money some unexpected expense comes up.

This months unexpected comes courtesy of our youngest daughter. She scraped up her car pretty good in the parking garage of her apartment. She’s an awesome kid the works hard and will be graduating nursing school this May. Made a deal with her that we would pay 1/2 the repair cost.

Wouldn’t you know it the cost of the repair is $1,500, so our share is $750. There goes our stimulus money.

Rats! I wanted to fly for the military when I was of that age, but you had to have 20/20 and PRK (at the time) was disqualifying. Interesting that LASIK is apparently OK now.

A good friend hoped to fly for USAF. He had been a pilot and certified aviation mechanic for a few years. I forget what disqualified him, but they told him he WOULD qualify to fly helicopters (Army?) - at the height of the VN conflict. ChaCHING. No sale. We both had high draft numbers thank God. YMMV

Received stimulus of $700 and change. Whenever we get a little “extra” money some unexpected expense comes up.

This months unexpected comes courtesy of our youngest daughter. She scraped up her car pretty good in the parking garage of her apartment. She’s an awesome kid the works hard and will be graduating nursing school this May. Made a deal with her that we would pay 1/2 the repair cost.

Wouldn’t you know it the cost of the repair is $1,500, so our share is $750. There goes our stimulus money.

As my stepson often says, "The house always knows when you come into extra money". :LOL:

As stated: not an issue. Time to figure out where I stand after what was supposed to be a bad year. I've given over 20k (dividends + stimulus) to kids this year as they needed it more than me.

Back
Top Bottom