How Does This Group Compare to the US at Large?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just for fun. If I combine (as closely as my abilities allow & I'd welcome a better effort) the data from the two threads below, I get an approximation of how this audience compares to the US at large, see graph.

Guess you have to conclude we are [-]rich[/-] [-]wealthy[/-] [-]part of a very exclusive club[/-] [-]comfortable[/-] way ahead of the FI curve even though some here argue otherwise, but...

Based on Table 3 in the Wealth Article, about 40% of respondents to the ER Net Worth Poll are in the top 5% of US wealth. WOWZA!

However, the median age here is also undoubtedly higher which explains the conclusion somewhat, but by no means entirely. Quantifying that aspect is well beyond my pay grade...:cool:

Comments are welcome...

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/state-of-us-household-wealth-55523.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/net-worth-poll-55244.html

Attachments

• Net Worth Comparison.jpg
    Net Worth Comparison.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 127
I would expect that result. The thing is that a survey of the whole US includes many people who have no hope of retiring early if at all.

Wow, what a dud this one turned out to be. Oh well...

Midpack, nice chart.

I suspect the lack of reaction is due to the fact many of us already expected the results you show. There have been many comments over the years regarding the fact a substantial number who post here are "special". :cool:

(snip) There have been many comments over the years regarding the fact a substantial number who post here are "special". :cool:
:LOL:

Well, I'm far from special...but I like bein' in the green!
sSp_stpatricks.gif

Thanks Midpack....:)

Or people here are keeping mum after seeing your chart, fearful of having to share with the people who have less...:angel:

I would have commented sooner but the butler just informed us the Rolls in on the blink. And to make matters worse, our butler failed to restock the Dom Perignon. You just can't get good help these days;)

Just saw the chart. Good work.

No surprise, although I think that this board is attracting a broader base as time passes. It started with people who had both education and money. Then I joined. :angel:

It's just that numberz iz hard! The top 40 percent here in 2011 are in the top 5 percent there in 2009--it makes my head hurt. But in a very special way :greetings10:

Just one challenge, and out comes the gun!

We were supposed to exchange a few more rounds of "Will" and "Will not" first.

Lordy, lordy, how violent our society has become. :nonono:

I am glad that I am present to bring down the averages.

My greatest fear is that failure to prepare by the majority will lead to them asking those of us who have saved and prepared to ante up to provide for them...

My greatest fear is that failure to prepare by the majority will lead to them asking those of us who have saved and prepared to ante up to provide for them...
Many on this board already want to see that. They are just hoping that they will be under the cutoff between "provided by" and "provided to".

In general it won't come as asking...more like demanding...and as the only fair thing, or fair payback for all that theivery, etc...

Ha

Many on this board already want to see that. They are just hoping that they will be under the cutoff between "provided by" and "provided to".

In general it won't come as asking...more like demanding...and as the only fair thing, or fair payback for all that theivery, etc...

Ha

I seem to recall something or other about an ant and a grasshopper---

+1. I am VERY fearful of what adjustments to Medicare and SS benefits will be for those of us who have been the ant rather than the grasshopper.

Well, we could always head out to "Galt's Gulch" in Colorado...

Back
Top Bottom