How houses eat money

This is, to me, one of the primary driving factors for us to buy a small, cheap house with cash. The ability to live on as little income as possible in an environment where taxes are likely to rise and more means-testing is likely in health care and Social Security. So the more we can configure our lives to be "livable" on lower income, the more survivable our future.

But please don't give Washington any ideas about taxing the "imputed income" of people with paid-off homes... the last thing I need is to pay tax on $500-600 a month representing the rental value of our home.

This idea comes up from time to time. I think we can expect the real estate/mortgage/S&L lobby to crush it every time.

Ha

Can't add much to the rent vs buy argument that's already been discussed. Y'all have done a good job on the pros/cons etc. I've done both when I thought it was to my advantage. Sometimes each way was a net winner and sometimes each was a loser. Still, as I look back, there were other factors which influenced my decisions other than pure economic advantage of rent vs. own.

Let me throw in another opinion (not my own original but it is now coloring my thinking). Burns and Kotlikoff's book THE COMING GENERATIONAL STORM makes a case for home ownership based on the imputed income of a paid-for house. In essence, your house pays your rent so you do not need to earn money (and be taxed on earnings, local, state, SS, Fed, etc.). Other investments' earnings (not all) are taxed in some form.

Why would this imputed, untaxed earning be so valuable? If as B and K believe, taxes can only go up to cover (this is before TARP and all the other recovery programs) SS to boomers, Medicare, Medicade, etc., then "tax free" income is king.

Naturally, their premise is based on several things (big one being taxes on the rise - now there's a stretch!) but they make a good case in the book. Naturally, YMMV

its no different then a landlord who buys a 2 family and says he lives free...noooooo hes paying the rent hes not getting by living in the apartment...... everything costs ya no matter how you look at it.... buying a house and living in it is like a coke dealer snorting his own product he paid for.... suppose you live elsewhere and rent the house out that you have money invested in... would you say your living for free?

Well I don't know where your Home is, but In the North Sub. of Chicago? Bought mine for $57k and after 15 yrs, it was paid off and sold it on yr 16 for $300k. Figured I put about $100k into it in all.. Keeping Records..right down to R&R Hot water heaters to Light Bulbs.. now that's about +$200k Net, since no Taxes on it.. or 200% on it..

Bought a retirement place 60 mi north accross the Border in Wi. for $75k, put About $25 k into and Put the other $200k into my Retirement savings..

But, uphere in Wi., houses don't appreciate 7-9% a yr, more like 3-5%..so IAD where you Live....and of course, timing is key as well..

My Dad's place.. same area.. Built it for about $10k he said in the early 50's, Sold it for $300k when He Died.. Buyer tore it down and built a McMansion on it.. he and my mom lived in it till yr 2000.. almost 50 yrs..He did most Maintenance and Repairs Himself ... and was Very happy to have a place, after living on a farm and After getting out of The Navy /WWII.

And always told us kids 'Get yourself a Place and get it Paid off First, before you go using your $ for anything else"... I and my Sibling did just that.. didn't start saving additional $ into IRA's, etc. until After we paid off our houses.. and he also told us Boys: ' It also keeps your mother broke and can't spend as much , but she did after he built up Savings ...." he was right about that too...LOL

and putting $ thru a Payroll ded. Plan and #401k doesn't work to hide $.. Look how many are tapping into their #401k's....and even being down 20-40%!

Back
Top Bottom