How long did it take you to reach net worth milestones?

My wife did private practice law (not her firm) for a couple years and quickly decided that's not the life she wanted. Switched to working for the city, 40 hours per week, 18 days paid vacation per year, no worky from home/weekends/evenings, pension that's a pretty good deal even if she doesn't work to full retirement age, etc. was an easy trade off.

Thanks all for the responses. Seeing how quickly people jump from one milestone to the next is definitely motivating and exciting for young dreamers like myself. It can a little while starting out but I think I'm getting closer to the snowball effect :D

Thanks all for the responses. Seeing how quickly people jump from one milestone to the next is definitely motivating and exciting for young dreamers like myself. It can a little while starting out but I think I'm getting closer to the snowball effect :D

Good thread, and if it has helped motivate you, then even better - best of luck to you going forward.

My EW's divorce attorney was the first to point out that our net worth was over 1M....:) My net worth was just under 500K a few months later...:(

Interesting question.

I was given a nice push through an IPO when I was 32. That put me north of 1MM for the first time. (2001)

I hit 2MM briefly in 2002 due to the performance of that same stock, but it was short lived. I'm guessing I re-crossed the 2MM in 2003 or 2004, and crossed 4MM in 2007 or early 08. I dipped below 4 during the recent downturn but have since recovered.

I say I'm guessing because I'm away from my home computer and spreadsheets.

Exactly the analysis I conducted when I turned down the higher paying job. From 2000-2005, I slaved away at a big law firm for the big bucks (or what I thought were big bucks; the firm paid on the low end of the BIGLAW scale). Four years later, I now make the same money serving as in-house counsel for a Fortune 500, with a great deal less stress. No suits, no need for a luxury car, reasonable hours (no weekends), etc.... With a new daughter (6 weeks old), staying put is probably my best bet.

Years ago had young kids and a big job offer to consider with a lot of stress/travel. While driving to a meeting to give my answer on the offer, the song "Cats In The Cradle" played on the radio.

That made my mind up. Turned the job down. Spent last decade seeing kids nearly every day after school. Best move I never made....

Harry Chapin - Cats In The Cradle Lyrics

Years ago had young kids and a big job offer to consider with a lot of stress/travel. While driving to a meeting to give my answer on the offer, the song "Cats In The Cradle" played on the radio.

That made my mind up. Turned the job down. Spent last decade seeing kids nearly every day after school. Best move I never made....

Harry Chapin - Cats In The Cradle Lyrics

Great song and I've always tried to keep a good balance with travel but it can be hard at times. In the Winter of '88 I'd decided that the 2 year assignment I'd taken to the USA was wearing me out and that I wouldn't renew my option in a few months and stay on for another year. I said this to the kids at breakfast one morning (they were aged 8 & 6) and they were shocked - " but we love it here, we want to stay". DW said "but your Daddie is away from home half the time". "That's okay", they said, "we'll manage". :LOL:

As it happens, 6 months later I found another assignment in the USA with MUCH less travel so we all ended up happy.

Back
Top Bottom