How much of your net worth does your car represent?

Our four drivers, and usually one gets 95% of the miles, maybe add up to .4% of our net worth. We don't include cars in figuring net worth though. Another non-driver money pit has had 1% of our NW poured into it with almost zero gratification.

Looks like 12 year old is currently 0.2% of NW, new one planned for when I retire will be 1.8% of NW initially, and will rapidly depreciate from there.
I imagine it does reflect me somewhat: it is large, slow and comfortable.
:)

0.41%. Two fourteen year old Hondas that need paint jobs (but in perfect mechanical condition!). Set that against a seven figure NW.

Cars just get us from point A to point B when it's too far to walk the distance.

I think I'm immune to the charge of buying a midlife crisis sportscar - since I've been buying idiotic sportscars since I was 19. The last one (the only new car I've ever bought) cost about 2.0% of my NW on purchase. As depreciation of the car and investment returns have had their inevitable opposite effects this number has declined to about 0.5%.

I would expect the vehicles I buy during ER to stay well under 1% of NW (though if DW gets her way and a small RV is in our future there may be a one-time 3-4%).

.013%, if that and I have never considered vehicles as assets, more of expense liabilities in my way of thinking.

Mid life crisis years were higher, but now probably less than 1% with an SUV.

We have 1 car, a 2009 Subaru Forester, I like others classify it as expenses. We only have 50K miles so we really don't drive much for a 5 year old car.

4 door jeep, 2008. Wife has cayman S, 06.

I'd say the cost was 15% my current savings. Maybe 10% NW.

Both cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

A post like this on this board is likely to trigger an intervention :cool:

On the other hand my wife is online looking at a $118K Mercedes RV right now, so I might need an intervention of my own :LOL:

Seven vehicles plus four motorcycles, all ranging between two to forty years old. Only one of the vehicles did we buy new. They make up less than 2% of net worth and I don't count vehicles (or motorcycles) as part of my net worth.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

In answer to the original question, we're at 1.8% but it's a bit high as we're fresh off replacing one car. A little portfolio growth + a little depreciation will rapidly knock that back down again.

This is a great ratio to know though...otherwise phrased as "what % of your assets are depreciating in your driveway?"

10 year old BMW 330i, currently 0.4% of NW. A car is an expense and an asset. Why not count it as part of your NW? I certainly don't count it as an investment or part of a portfolio.

two cars together less than 1 % of investable net worth, which doe not include vehicles, house and other material possessions.

10 year old BMW 330i, currently 0.4% of NW. A car is an expense and an asset. Why not count it as part of your NW? I certainly don't count it as an investment or part of a portfolio.

This really depends on the car IMHO. My 67 Shelby GT 500 gets no mention and I think of it as an asset. My 2009 Subaru is thought of as an expense, if I ever sell it the money will give me a few bucks that will go into another car that will start depreciating by the time it gets home. I think it is really such a small number for most folks on here they probably don't give a lot of thought to it (I could be wrong, never assume anything), It is fun to read what others think though...............

Three vehicles for the two of us... 1997 small Ford pickup, 2001 Chevy mega-SUV, and DW's 2006 BMW. Per KBB, their combined value is about 0.7% of NW, and that's probably generous. The first two are at 160K miles and going strong. The latter is a money pit but DW refuses to give it up.

A post like this on this board is likely to trigger an intervention :cool:

On the other hand my wife is online looking at a $118K Mercedes RV right now, so I might need an intervention of my own :LOL:

We have one of those 100K RVs. After six years it is now valued about half that. Some "net" worth, huh?

We have one of those 100K RVs. After six years it is now valued about half that. Some "net" worth, huh?

We would love a really nice new class B (we have no rec. vehicle) but your quote is exactly one of the main reasons we don't even go looking any more.....:facepalm:

Well over $100K in family vehicles and not even considered in NW....

OP here.

Our 2 cars are about 0.3%-0.4% of our NW. I am surprised how many people are sub 1%.

Once retired we will scale it down to 1 car and sub 0.2%.

We would love a really nice new class B (we have no rec. vehicle) but your quote is exactly one of the main reasons we don't even go looking any more.....:facepalm:

Then buy a used one.

I, on the other hand, feel that I have gotten my money's worth (the depreciation) during the 150,000 miles we have put on it. We have been to every State at least once and most National/State Parks. We could not have done that without expense of some kind. My guess is the RV reduced that outlay about 2/3s by saving on (M)Hotel/restaurant cost.

(And, FWIW, I could most likely put another 150K miles on it without major cost before divesting.)

$0. I don't count my car as part of my net worth. :)

Then buy a used one.

I, on the other hand, feel that I have gotten my money's worth (the depreciation) during the 150,000 miles we have put on it. We have been to every State at least once and most National/State Parks. We could not have done that without expense of some kind. My guess is the RV reduced that outlay about 2/3s by saving on (M)Hotel/restaurant cost.

(And, FWIW, I could most likely put another 150K miles on it without major cost before divesting.)

Okay, you have convinced me to at least take a peek!!!!!! Thank you, I think. :dance:

Okay, you have convinced me to at least take a peek!!!!!! Thank you, I think. :dance:

You won't regret it.

Oh! I do have one caution: If the both (or either one) of you have an issue with "personal space," then a Class B will definitely be challenging. However, if you enjoy each other's company, then this is a big plus.

Back
Top Bottom