How to Look Rich

I don't care about looking rich, I just want enough money to never have to work another day in my life. I like looking like I don't work, what ever that looks like.

DW and I live in a modest house in a nice neighborhood, drive 10-year-old compact cars, and both know our way around dryer sheets. I absolutely envy, though, the guys I see wearing real Tommy Bahama aloha shirts -- dang those are good-lookin' shirts. Ihave to settle for the JC Penney or Kohl's versions.....

DW and I live in a modest house in a nice neighborhood, drive 10-year-old compact cars, and both know our way around dryer sheets. I absolutely envy, though, the guys I see wearing real Tommy Bahama aloha shirts -- dang those are good-lookin' shirts. Ihave to settle for the JC Penney or Kohl's versions.....

Haunt the resale shops. That's where I get my nice aloha shirts. The higher the original price of clothing, the better deal it is upon resale. DW found a designer purse (maybe $200 orig.) for a couple of bucks. If you're into that sort of thing, resale is the way to go (much better than wholesale!) YMMV

From experience, the truly wealthy people I've met don't run around trying to look rich. I knew one man who drove a Vega, and he told me, when I got out of high school, there was a job opening at a major business where he worked, and I cold use him as reference.

I pllied and used his name, and the girl accepting applications asked if I knew in what department my reference worked, and I replied I didn't n
know. She came out a few minutes later and asked,

"Do you mean Mr T____ J______, the operating Vice President?"

I got the job.

I've always used the phrase 'nickel millionaire' to refer to the people who want you to THINK they're wealthy.

I usually drink craft ales,but sometimes when I"m over the City I'll buy a 40oz. bottle off malt liquor for 3 bucks.Walk around brownbagging it or sit in a park.Feels liberating,and brings me back to years gone by.No,I don"t look rich.:hide:I usually like to keep a low profile.

I guess we're doing a fine job. No expensive clothes (what for?). We buy new clothes when the old ones have holes in them since neither one of us likes shopping and to us it's a chore, not entertainment. We buy online when possible to avoid the hassle of stores. As far as logos go, when they start paying me to wear their advertisements I'll consider it.

Our pickup truck and car are nine years old and will be replaced when reliability or parts availability become issues. But they're clean, well maintained and garage-kept.

The only expensive toy is the motorcycle and that's a Suzuki, not a Harley.

Great posts, All looking rich does is make you more Dependant on wo$%.

My car is 12 years old (no hubcaps) so I def. do not look rich

I don't care about looking rich, I just want enough money to never have to work another day in my life. I like looking like I don't work, what ever that looks like.

This is me, except that I already have enough money so I don't have to work (I have not worked in 3 1/2 years, being ERed).

I surely don't look rich. I may be an outlier in other ways (no cell phone, for example), but not in my appearance when it comes to money.

Others have posted about clothing. I knew I was getting old when I started liking getting new clothing for my birthday to replace some of the worn out stuff I have been wearing for too long LOL!

Maybe it's just me...but when I see a man wearing all white, it makes me think they are rich assuming there's not some clue to the contrary. White pants (bright white), white shirt, white deck shoes. Must be a stereotype from some movie I saw.

Does genuine Schmidt bib overalls from Tractor Supply and a nice 20 year old pickup with a rusty tailgate and only one 'Yes I'm Grumpy' bumper sticker count as Patrician?

:LOL:

heh heh heh - :greetings10: I've discovered looking rich is dangerous - it brings charities, hard luck stories from friends and relatives out of the woodwork. And those incredibly brilliance financial 'opportunities?' :rolleyes:

I think the article's author is confusing "money" with "class".

The way to look rich is to date an attractive, well dressed woman way younger than you-unless of course you are yourself young, then you will not look rich as you will be wearing prison garb.

Ha

I am afraid to look and act like we are rich or some relatives will be hitting us up for loans/handouts. Besides I'm too cheap and don't want to go back to work so moderation is the name of the game.

Does genuine Schmidt bib overalls from Tractor Supply and a nice 20 year old pickup with a rusty tailgate and only one 'Yes I'm Grumpy' bumper sticker count as Patrician?

Only if you have a muddy quad loaded in the back :dance:

Why must I become a lesbian in order to look rich? :confused:

Amethyst

The way to look rich is to date an attractive, well dressed woman way younger than you

Ha

I recall, in the 70s, seeing James R. Schlesinger on one of the Sunday morning TV talk shows and Schlesinger was being grilled and as each question was being asked he would find some issue that needed attention on his pipe, especially relighting it. Then take a long bong-like hit and slowly exhale before then answering in a monotone that would have the questioner looking dazed.

WARNING TO NAVY TYPES: This is a "sea story."

I have a James Schlesinger story.

He was Secretary of Defense under Nixon/Ford during a portion of the time I was stationed at the Naval Communications Station, Rota, Spain. The group with which I worked did classified work related, in those days, primarily to keeping track of the Soviet Fifth Navy in the Mediterranean. I was a Navy Lieutenant at the time. Most of my fellow officers used to leave our ops building for lunch and go to the "O" Club. I normally brown-bagged it (one reason I retired early) and did a 3-5 mile run while they were scoffing down burgers. (Disclaimer: I love to eat; I have nothing against eating and I drink beer.)

This one particular day he duty officer said he had gotten a call from the Base CO's office saying that SECDEF Schlesinger would be there in an hour and wanted, particularly, to get a tour of our facility. As I was the senior officer in the ops building at the time, I took control. I quickly got people doing a "field day" (thorough cleaning of the building) and called the "O" Club to get the lunchtime martini-drinkers back to work.

Eventually, all the senior folks (Base CO, NAVCOMMSTA CO, SECGRU Department Head, etc.) were outside our building waiting for Sec Def. He arrived along with a couple of aides. He was dressed in rumpled khakis, boots and a very casual shirt. (I later learned that he had been birding on the Costa del Sol and, since he was so close, spontaneously paid us a visit.

So here's all the guys with scrambled eggs on their hats (most of whom have no idea exactly what we do there) walking in an entourage with SecDef Schlesinger. The Division Officers and Chiefs in each area (who DO know what's going on are giving walking briefs) as Schlesinger is puffing on his pipe. At one location we all stand in front of a big console from which some pretty important stuff is managed. The console is not working at there is a maintenance person underneath it with his legs sticking out - sorta like a mechanic under a car. Schlesinger's pipe goes out. He turns to the Base CO. "Do you have a match?" "No, Sir; I don't smoke." He turns to the NAVCOMMSTA CO, etc., down the line. Nobody has a match. Then somebody kicks the foot of the maintenance guy under the console. "Hey, sailor. You got a match?" A hand comes out from under the console with a book of matches.

The matchbook is passed to Schlesinger who lights his pipe, sticks the book of matches in his pocket and the entourage moves on to the next part of the tour. The sailor under the console has now realized that nobody has returned his matches (and, of course, he has no idea who had asked for them since he couldn't see them.) He comes out from underneath the console and yells at the group (whom he can't totally see) - "My matches! Who took my f****n' matches. The entourage, of course, is pretending not to hear but everyone can. But, unfazed, the SecDef kept the matches.

Big hat, no cattle.

I just learned that expression a few months ago. It reminded me of a Mercedes recently seen with duct tape holding on a rear tail light. I found that so interesting.

They still probably looked richer than I if I resort to duct tape to hold up tail light on our Impala. ;)

Why must I become a lesbian in order to look rich? :confused:

Amethyst
That's just the way it is. I hear it isn't half bad, either. No more forgotten birthdays or special celebrations. Flowers when something nice happens in your life, and flowers when you are feeling down. And last but not least, the toilet seat is never left up!

I must look rich today. Young women are smiling at me, gay men are smiling at me, dudes on the street corner are inviting me to have a pull on their bottle.

Must be the recent shine I gave my Birkenstocks?

Ha

Last edited:
I absolutely envy, though, the guys I see wearing real Tommy Bahama aloha shirts -- dang those are good-lookin' shirts. I have to settle for the JC Penney or Kohl's versions.....
Buy a plane ticket to Honolulu and then get a ride to the Pearl City Goodwill. Your chances are pretty good-- maybe two or three out of 500. But if you score, it'll only cost you $7.99 (plus your "shipping & handling fees"). Except on Tuesday when military get a 10% discount.

Maybe it's just me...but when I see a man wearing all white, it makes me think they are rich assuming there's not some clue to the contrary. White pants (bright white), white shirt, white deck shoes. Must be a stereotype from some movie I saw.
Yes, and let me tell you about him. He is different from you and me.

WARNING TO NAVY TYPES: This is a "sea story."
But, unfazed, the SecDef kept the matches.
And I bet he had a smirk on his face as soon as he left the command...

I'm trying to imagine a sailor smoking inside a Navy building today, let alone near an open equipment console. There'd be riots!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom