How to switch to using credit cards for spending.

My bank has a debit/ATM card. It has a unlock/lock feature. When I need cash - extremely rare - I unlock it using my phone, get the cash and lock it back up.

I use credit cards for any expense that accepts them without any additional fees.

This got me thinking that I should keep my debit card locked since I really don’t use it. It seems that I can unlock it instantly if I need to use an ATM or make a purchase if credit cards are not accepted. Does your unlock request occur instantly?

This got me thinking that I should keep my debit card locked since I really don’t use it. It seems that I can unlock it instantly if I need to use an ATM or make a purchase if credit cards are not accepted. Does your unlock request occur instantly?

Mine does for PNC Bank. I don’t usually unlock it until I’m at the drive up ATM. I use the PNC app on my phone to do the unlocking and relooking. As soon as I unlock it, I use it. Then I relock it before pulling away from the ATM.

Yes

Good list.

Remember to put the credit cards on auto-pay.

Protect the account that auto-pays the credit card bills with a line of credit, and immediately pay off the LOC if it is hit....

I ONLY use a credit card for purchases. My debit card is strictly for ATM withdrawals from known ATMs.
I am getting ready to go on a vacation. My plane flight to Spain, plus quite a few of my hotel rooms are ALL paid for with credit card points. :-D

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of should we keep X amount extra in checking or anything along those lines. My wife is stuck on using debit as she is afraid we will not have the money to pay when the bill comes. I think it’s more psychological than anything. Hope this makes sense.

I have an app on my phone called Checkbook. As I use my credit card. I record the transaction as visa - name of payee, such as visa - Meijer’s. I use different cards, so some transactions will say Citi - Heinens etc. When the credit card bill comes in, I delete the transactions in my app and pay the bill. It serves as my register for my checking account.

I use my debit card to get cash at atm and buy stuff at costco. That's it.

I use JetBlue credit card to pay all bills, groceries, gas, restaurants. I charge everything I can. This gives me TrueBlue points which I use for flights and hotels when we go on vacation. I then use Quicken to track each expense so I can monitor it to my budget. With covid our vacation spending and eating out is well below budget. House improvements are above. Works for us.....

Back
Top Bottom