Bank of America credit card weirdness

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I had a credit card with BofA that I rarely used, so I was surprised last month when a fraudulent purchase showed on a statement. Called them and went through the routine of disputing it and getting a new card issued.

They sent all the proper messages, applying a temporary credit for the amount and then making it permanent. Got the new card in the mail promptly.

The weird part is they applied the credit to the new card instead of the old one, and since I had it on auto-pay they pulled the money from my checking account to pay off the old card, leaving the credit amount on the new card. That new one hadn't been used yet, and never will be now. I closed the account this morning and told them why. They said they didn't know why they did it that way but would investigate it if I wanted them to. No thanks, just close it. The amount in question was just 20 cents, so not worth prolonging the agony. :facepalm:

That is very strange. Once notified of the fraud they are required to set aside that amount and not attempt to collect, so collecting it was a regulatory violation.

I’d consider filing a complaint with the OCC, the BoA regulator.

If it weren't such a trivial amount, I would. But I feel better simply writing off BoA from future financial consideration and moving on.

I just went through dealing with a bogus charge on mine. BoA resolved it quickly, new card in hand next day.

Back
Top Bottom