How to Tell if You Are Wealthy

Rustic: My point was that being wealthy is a self assigned title. Who cares what others think? If you think you are wealthy, you are. If you don't? Well you may be looking for
some kind of third party telling you that you are to feel better I guess.

Depends on how you define "yacht"
B_Boat.jpg

Rustic: My point was that being wealthy is a self assigned title. Who cares what others think? If you think you are wealthy, you are. If you don't? Well you may be looking for
some kind of third party telling you that you are to feel better I guess.
Another possible motivation is trying to be sure that others, public and private, do not think that you are wealthy. When P.Obama talks about "the wealthy", it is not a good category to be in.

Ha

Bet this dude catches more fish than P Allen. Probably gets more tail too! Come on baby , just keep your feet offn' the battery!

Ha

And I bet this guy has more fun on a typical saturday night than most people who'd describe themselves as "wealthy".

Another possible motivation is trying to be sure that others, public and private, do not think that you are wealthy. When P.Obama talks about "the wealthy", it is not a good category to be in.

Ha

+1

Being identified as wealthy makes you a target for higher taxes, means testing and general vilification for political purposes. I fully intend to proclaim my state of general poverty indefinitely - intended early retirement notwithstanding. I will also be ticking the lowest possible boxes on all future wealth and income type polls.

Yes, I agree that in many cases being called wealthy is not a good thing. But I am not aware of any cases where self identification would make much of a difference? Do you get asked a lot if you are wealthy? Not me. Other than on this forum and other anonymous places I guess.

I cannot judge myself. If others consider me (and DW, as a couple) wealthy? Then so be it.

However, since no one (other than DW) has any idea of our financial situation, it is not a question to be answered (nor do we really care :cool: ...)

Odd that it's generally considered rude to do so - except in the virtual world where we can be anything we want to be. :)
We dined Easter Sunday with our neighbors, with whom we've spent quite a bit of time over the past decade.

He's a retired 30-year Army CW-4 and now a civil servant running part of the Personnel office of the local Army base. He turns 66 in a few months but says he doesn't hate what he's doing and has no real reason to start collecting his FERS money or his TSP. His spouse (who also works 40-hour weeks at the base's childcare center and is at least 67 years old) wants him to pay off the mortgage before he stops working. He wants to golf but he gets in 2-3 rounds a week already so he doesn't feel that he can complain. He certainly doesn't "feel" wealthy as long as he has that mortgage hanging over his head. Their big debate is whether to pay off the mortgage with the TSP or to annuitize the TSP to the same size as the mortgage payment (despite the current sucky interest rates). It's refreshing to talk with someone who understands all the aspects of that choice.

They've watched us move into the neighborhood, stop wearing our uniforms, grow out our hair, and launch our daughter from the nest. We're always helping each other with home maintenance (us) and gardening (them). She's always feeding us. They understand our finances at least as well as we do (hey, he's a military personnel expert) but they certainly don't understand why a couple of healthy adults aren't chasing paychecks. Maybe they're waiting to see if we decide to make something of ourselves.

Apparently they don't consider us wealthy either. When we finished talking about his work & golf plans, I asked him how the Army does transition counseling for separating/retiring soldiers. He explained it-- just like the Navy so they're following the same DoD template-- and I asked if I could talk to one of them about the book. When I gave him my blog card he thought I was asking if they were hiring, and it took a few minutes to get all that straightened out. When he finally understood that the book's royalties would go to charity he was dumbfounded. Maybe he was afraid that I was going to ask him to buy 100 copies.

So to him, "wealthy" is no debt and an annuitized income that exceeds his expenses for the rest of his life. Long-term care insurance, of course, and life insurance to pass on to the "kids". Despite his decades of work and his considerable savings, he doesn't feel that he's wealthy or that he's "earned" retirement yet.

He probably sees our financial approach to life as downright dangerous & foolhardy. It'll be interesting to talk with him as he gets caught up on the blog.

I bet he works until declining health forces him off the payroll... and the fairways.

You mean that your avatar isn't you, Nords? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you...
I'm just glad to see Eva's smiling face again... despite all your vociferous claims that she really isn't you either...

Gotta be careful with those avatar assumptions...

You mean that your avatar isn't you, Nords? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you...

Yeah, think I got Nords a bit ticked off when I asked why he never posted a pic of himself surfing. I missed Eva too (of course a pic of her surfing would be even better):)

I'm just glad to see Eva's smiling face again... despite all your vociferous claims that she really isn't you either...

Thanks. :D She really isn't me (or so I say).

Yeah, think I got Nords a bit ticked off when I asked why he never posted a pic of himself surfing. I missed Eva too (of course a pic of her surfing would be even better):)

Thanks for saying you missed her. I appreciate that since I like the avatar too. :)

I looked for a pic of her surfing, but couldn't find one.

This is the closest I could find - - Eva in a swimsuit. You can imagine that she was surfing and her board got swept away when she wiped out. The photo must have been taken when she was much younger, because she doesn't even look like the Eva in my avatar. I prefer the thoughtful, pensive look that she has in my present avatar.

Attachments

• habermann.jpg
    habermann.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Not me, I like the come hither look in the beach attire better.

I'm sure most healthy, redblooded guys prefer a scantily clad swimsuit version to nearly anything. Here is what it looks like when cropped to avatar size.

Attachments

• habermann_avatar.jpg
    habermann_avatar.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 301
Back
Top Bottom