How to Tell if You Are Wealthy

I'm sure most healthy, redblooded guys prefer a scantily clad swimsuit version to nearly anything. Here is what it looks like when cropped to avatar size.

You cropped the wrong part.

He probably sees our financial approach to life as downright dangerous & foolhardy. It'll be interesting to talk with him as he gets caught up on the blog.

I bet he works until declining health forces him off the payroll... and the fairways.
He is probably just waiting until you get old enough to shoulder some real responsibility:whistle:

Well, here is how I see the crop for avatar.

habermann2.jpg

Yep, just had to do it!:)

Thanks. :D She really isn't me (or so I say).

Thanks for saying you missed her. I appreciate that since I like the avatar too. :)

I looked for a pic of her surfing, but couldn't find one.

This is the closest I could find - - Eva in a swimsuit. You can imagine that she was surfing and her board got swept away when she wiped out. The photo must have been taken when she was much younger, because she doesn't even look like the Eva in my avatar. I prefer the thoughtful, pensive look that she has in my present avatar.
In this one, Eva looks like she wants to eat my tonsils.

Pensive she is not. :)

Ha

Thanks. :D She really isn't me (or so I say).

Thanks for saying you missed her. I appreciate that since I like the avatar too. :)

I looked for a pic of her surfing, but couldn't find one.

This is the closest I could find - - Eva in a swimsuit. You can imagine that she was surfing and her board got swept away when she wiped out. The photo must have been taken when she was much younger, because she doesn't even look like the Eva in my avatar. I prefer the thoughtful, pensive look that she has in my present avatar.

WR2, I assumed your avatar was a photo of you. So who is Eva? Who is your avatar? She is a beautiful lady!

Yeah, think I got Nords a bit ticked off when I asked why he never posted a pic of himself surfing.
Believe it or not, the only photo of me surfing is one taken by Deserat during my knee-brace stage, just before I hit the shorebreak. (Hard to believe that was five years ago!) I have a few of my daughter as she's gone by.

Taking surfing photos seems like a colossal pain (and a bit dangerous) unless you're shooting from the beach with a big lens. I've never found a convenient camera rig that left both hands free to paddle and would survive a wipeout. I like the board-mounted systems but I don't really care enough about the results to make the effort. We've all been too busy... surfing.

Attachments

• Surfing with Deserat.jpg
    Surfing with Deserat.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 26
Yes fortunately there are none of us here that qualify (except maybe Danmar and that infamous SEC Lawyer) to be envious of those other guys!
I'm happy to quit while I'm behind...

Back on topic for a second, here's another commentary from the "Richistan" author on how the "merely" rich suffer their inequity alongside the "super rich":
Why the Rich Envy the Super-Rich - The Wealth Report - WSJ

OK, let's get back to the dairy farming...

Richistan was a good read and illustrates two points:

1. a million or two does not enable you to live like a sterotypical historical era millionaire

2. there will always be people with "more", usually a lot more (unless you are a billionaire)

Sometimes I think that the ability to say "enough" and be happy about it is a more meaningful definition of material wealth than the size of a bank account.

Richistan was a good read and illustrates two points:

1. a million or two does not enable you to live like a sterotypical historical era millionaire

2. there will always be people with "more", usually a lot more (unless you are a billionaire)
I remembered the time as a pup when a family had a color TV and indoor plumbing were considered wealthy. And I still considered having a color TV and indoor plumbing as being wealthy when I'm at my hunting cabin when I see those folks have indoor plumbing and color TV in their custom made cabin. I'll be wealthy if I can live without working.

The article seems pretty lame to me. Probably designed to get people who aren't "rich" angry at those who are "pretty rich". It refers to CEO's losing ground against super rich billionaires. Ok that may be true but the only example used is the guy who broke the law tipping off Raj and that only according to Raj who is trying to wriggle off the insider trading charge. Hardly scientific or credible.
Personally, I feel very lucky regardless of how much wealth and power super rich billionaires have.

It just goes to show, there's objective measure of wealth. You're only as wealthy as you feel.

I feel rich when I walk through the grocery store, because I know I can buy any of the food in it. That was not the case when I was a boy, and it has shaped my perceptions of wealth to this day.

What an interesting metric for wealthy. I think I use the same measure. As a young adult I had to stretch my salary to cover rent and utilities, so planning lowest cost meals was important. Spent many hours doing that. Now I can buy anything they have in a grocery store and while I don't splurge on every visit, I feel free (and wealthy) to buy out of season berries, or whatever just looks good to me. Sometimes I'm disappointed they don't have more expensive meats and have to go to another fancier grocery. To me, that's wealthy, but only as far as my taste and sensibility takes me. I have no desire or interest in caviar or other more exotic and expensive foods. I'm more than wealthy enough to match my tastes. And very happy about it.

I feel rich when I walk through the grocery store, because I know I can buy any of the food in it. That was not the case when I was a boy, and it has shaped my perceptions of wealth to this day.

The fact that you can afford something makes you feel wealthy because you know some people cannot. Yet isn't this a false sense of superiority?

Gumby's perspective is right - you compare what you could afford when you were younger to what you can afford today.

Gumby's perspective is right - you compare what you could afford when you were younger to what you can afford today.
When we were raising our daughter, she felt that she could buy anything with our money...

Back
Top Bottom