How's your YTD

bpp said:
Not quite that bad...yet. :) But the performance of the market has certainly gotten people's attention lately. 2005's rise of ~40% was the second-highest ever, exceeded only by the 42% rise of 1989 (or was it 88?), during the bubble. Considering that the market hit 20-year lows just 3 years ago, it does feel a bit dizzying...

Thanks for your take. Doesn't sound too frenzied there yet. And I guess a lot of Japanese still have "money in the bank" that might come into play should the market continue doing well for a few more years.

I have almost reached my target allocation for my pacific index mutual fund, so I guess I'll contribute to reach the target allocation, and then let it ride!

Here are my figures as best as I can compute them:

ROTH IRA $6,162 1.8%
Ten shares of GOOG offset by losses in DIS

ROTH IRA 8,353 19.4%
AMX and URBN

IRA 8,190 -0.3%
COY Hi Yield Fund dropped 12% which wiped out my YTD gains

401K ROLLOVER 196,920 11.5%
GOOG, AMLN,FLR,KMI,MAKOX,PWI were sold for gains. Still holding some GOOG with over a 50% gain

TAXABLE ACCT 111,115 10.9%
ET,GOOG

Overall 10.65%
That doesn't include the low return on T-bills or my wife's account. Too hard to figure her return since she is still contributing to it.

(This post moved from another area. It belongs here, though.)

I checked the numbers on Dec 3rd for my IRAs at Vanguard's web site.

* Rebalanced recently after 4 years to expand international to ~42% of total.
* ~80% in Vanguard funds (mostly indexes), 20% in managed international funds.
* 100% in equities (except for MM fund, where the dividends go until next rebalancing--this effect is so small I may go back to automatic reinvestment--but essentially 100% invested).
* No new money in 4 years.
* I just read the year-end totals off the graph and calculated the % return by hand.

Dec-01 base
Dec-02 -13%
Dec-03 +33%
Dec-04 +18%
Dec-05 +13%

Average since Dec 01 = +11.6%/annum. Much, much better than I ever expected.

Vanguard doesn't like my allocation. It differs from total world averages. I still feel Japan and Europe are sick and have not taken adequate corrective actions yet. Of course, that means I will miss the bounce. And then there is Andy Tobias' question: Yeah, it's a bad stock [fund/market], but is there no price at which you wouldn't buy it? (My answer: no. )

My total overall expense ratio is 0.57% (compare with Vanguard's average expense ratio of 0.22% and industry averge of 1.37%--numbers from Vanguard).

I believe in index funds. However, there is some thought that in international funds, active management may have an edge, and I am taking a flyer on Vanguard's health care fund--so shoot me.

I guess this is the answer to Andy Tobias' question:

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/markets.htm

Look what I am missing.

Cheers,

Ed

Back
Top Bottom