I don't believe this... "Early retirement maybe the kiss of Death"..

Perhaps they should have also correlated to include financial health, as that can be a key source to overall well being.

Sample size not mentioned and what about things like family longevity/history? That would have a FAR greater impact on longevity than what age you were when you retired. And people who "claim that health is not a factor in when they retire" aren't necessarily active outside of work either.

I'm with euro, I'll take my chances....

most early retirements are health related - people on this forum are healthier than average based on a recent pole

Salve for those who never prepared.

That's easy to explain, if you remove physical health and longevity factors, you can still divide workers into those who are happy with their jobs vs those who hate their jobs. Which side do you think will retire early more often? And which side do you think has more accumulated mental anguish? I think their statement "Working a year longer had a positive impact on the study participants’ mortality rate regardless of their health status" may have taken consequence as cause.

IIRC, socio-economic status is most correlated with longevity - even more so than family history (though I do not have a citation.) Based on that, I could see that some early retirements (those leading to "poverty") might well lead to an earlier death on average. Other than that, my gut tells me it's also correlated to "why" folks w*rk. Those who w*rk just for the money to afford "life" probably do not die early once they have enough money to "fund" life without w*rking. Those who find the "meaning" in their lives (you know who you are!) through w*rk, probably DO die younger on average. YMMV

IIRC, socio-economic status is most correlated with longevity - even more so than family history (though I do not have a citation.) Based on that, I could see that some early retirements (those leading to "poverty") might well lead to an earlier death on average. Other than that, my gut tells me it's also correlated to "why" folks w*rk. Those who w*rk just for the money to afford "life" probably do not die early once they have enough money to "fund" life without w*rking. Those who find the "meaning" in their lives (you know who you are!) through w*rk, probably DO die younger on average. YMMV

+1

I certainly wished I had known that when I retired from the military at age 42. Oh wait? I am turning 70 next year so never mind:dance:

If I could get paid to write and study about lame stuff like this I might still be working.;)

As with euro, I'll just have to take my chances. So far I'm still mooching off my former employer's pension plan, it's miserably hot outside, I'm sitting here with the A/C on and working is a distant memory.

This is bad for my health? I call B.S.

Yes, grim reaper must be around the corner of my deck as I look out on the lake on a pleasant afternoon of doing, hmmm, not much! This morning did 2 hours of hard work clearing some trees, shrubs, and had a nice nap after lunch. At 65 as I sip this ice cold beer all I can say is if the price of it is to have the reaper leap out and get me, well, what ya gonna do? If the insurance policy price to keep him at bay is to have spent the last 5 years taking the abuse I did, then I'm just fine. Of course, not ready to go, but if the price of higher chance of staying is working, well then just ____ that! (phooey to) :dance:

Salve for those who never prepared.

+1 Also, when people who haven't prepared financially convince themselves that "it will all work out," the financial stress often catches up to them.

I disagree to the extent that I retired at 61, I had way too much energy to retire earlier, but Most of you retired much earlier. But I do thank some of you working until 70 or 80 because you are funding my SS and ACA subsidy.

I look at my brother.... Worked up till the end - well, until the cancer was too serious. Died at age 48. Do cases like his fit into the model - those that die before they reach retirement?

During the study period, about 12 percent of the healthy and 25.6 percent of the unhealthy retirees died, according to the study. Healthy retirees who worked a year longer had an 11 percent lower risk of mortality, while unhealthy retirees who worked a year longer had a 9 percent lower mortality risk. Working a year longer had a positive impact on the study participants’ mortality rate regardless of their health status.
It's hard to tell whether this is statistically valid or just within the uncertainty range. Hopefully the journal reviewers asked that question.

I'd like to see it repeated for people in their 40s and 50s, not just those aged 65.

Does this mean trust fund babies have short life spans? Since they are retired before they ever started working :confused:

I do believe in the negative impact of losing purpose and sense of self-worth though, which work does provide for some.

Last edited:
Does this mean trust fund babies have short life spans? Since they are retired before they ever started working :confused:

I do believe in the negative impact of losing purpose and sense of self-worth though, which work does provide for some.

That would be an interesting question to answer, who has longer/better lives, 1st gen wealth creators or their offspring/beneficiary. Mostly we would probably just use the info to reinforce our own prejudice, but still, it would be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

For some, this is true. For many others, the effect of a megacorp "career" can be to warp one's perspective of purpose and continually erode their sense of self-worth. :mad:

Oddly enough, in my experience it is often the "most successful" that suffer from this. New leadership takes over and yesterday's hero is now out to pasture, suddenly devoid of that artificial purpose and self-worth. They're now miserable whether they retire and dream of past glory, or stick around and struggle frantically to recapture it. Oh well, at least they've got a strong portfolio! No wait, they never got around to that..... :facepalm:

I look at my brother.... Worked up till the end - well, until the cancer was too serious. Died at age 48. Do cases like his fit into the model - those that die before they reach retirement?

Just like the early SS survey...it's skewed because those who have died can't vote.

Yesterday we had discussion about that with friends. We are mix bag: retired flight attendant, retired maintenance multi craft mechanic, retired executive assistant and lawyer who currently works at major law firm-Vp HR. , and plan to retire this year. Jointly we came to the conclusion that people who works high level managerial jobs have harder transition into retirement. They are driven and defined by what they do, and once they retire they somehow struggle with identity. People whose jobs are not that demanding have more time to develop hobbies and interest outside work, and are happier in retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom