I just bought VFINX today

Yawn - happens every generation.

Active managers beat indexing all the time before expenses and if they are allowed to select the time period. The latest poop if ala Clint E.'s Dirty Harry - 'Do ya feel lucky punk?---'

Goggle up Bogle Financial Markets Research Center - under speeches go to the May15 2006 and go to the last half - no math, simple arithmatic - I'll leave it to a bookie to calculate the odds.

Davis New York Venture, Fidelity Contrafund, Franklin Mutual shares - in the 35 yr rear view mirror. The view forward - heh heh heh - 'do ya feel lucky?'

I let my Nephew use my financial advisor Charles De Gaul (low cost) who put him in VFINX 1994 to present - and if you look at the chart you may agree with him - if he never invests another nickel - his retirement is in the bag.

Yep - VFINX - you heard me right. BTY - dead financial managers work the cheapest.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - let's try one more time - are indexers skins or shirts? :D :D :D ::) :LOL: 8)

brewer12345 said:
If you actually do beat your benchmark, you usually get flooded with money. We had close to $100MM in new cash show up on our doorstep at the beginning of this year. Imagine trying to find a place to put that. Now make it $1 billion or $10 billion.

That's a nice problem to have - more inflow of cash, more profits or income. It's hard to turn down $$$ or close the fund even though that's right thing to do.

AirJordan on Today at 05:58:45 PM said:
I just bought VFINX today ... And then I sold it
... must be a wizard ... though i could be mistaken, any trade in VFINX takes place at the market close, so would he not have purchased and sold at exactly the same price?

if he's "in fact smart than the indexers" wouldn't you think he'd know this? ... and have better grammar.

brewer12345 said:
We had close to $100MM in new cash show up on our doorstep at the beginning of this year. Imagine trying to find a place to put that. Now make it $1 billion or $10 billion.

Just ask AirJ! He'll know what to do with it :LOL:

unclemick2 said:
I let my Nephew use my financial advisor Charles De Gaul (low cost) who put him in VFINX 1994 to present - and if you look at the chart you may agree with him - if he never invests another nickel - his retirement is in the bag.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - let's try one more time - are indexers skins or shirts? :D :D :D ::) :LOL: 8)

We're skins...we've lost our shirts in the market ;-).

2Cor521
In VFINX since at least 1987

mb said:

Let's me guess - may be he wants to have his own law firm so that he can be a partner.

mb said:
You guys are so helpless. Give me 1 billion dollars. That's worth like 10 BRKA shares, and voila, there I'll call it the AirJordan fund, all I do is leech off of Buffet's success.

i will read the four pillars of investing. this is actually an enlightening debate, if you can call it that. for me at least.

You guys should seriously have a throw down with the people at Motley Fool, Fund Alarm, and M-Star, they all swear by actively managed funds, but hey 1 out of 4 ain't bad

people here aren't looking to have "throw downs" with anyone. chill out airjordan.

AJ, you're much too conservative. Click here for a system, which works the same way yours does, but has a much bigger payoff.

Here are some past results that you can bank on:

I downloaded this lottery software about a week ago and just have won the Mega Millions Lottery, I LOVE IT !!!!
Rodney

Just wanted to drop you a note. I got 5/5 on the California Fantasy 5 tonight using LB 2002 lottery software. The jackpot is $100,000.00.
Gary H.

I just got 4 out of 5 on Fantasy 5 lottery tonight (pays about 500.00 to 600.00).
That's 3 times I got 4/5 this year! Using this lotto software, almost every draw I get one or two 3/5 (15.00--19.00 ea.)

I have had your lottery software for a few months and have steady success. Have been hitting three numbers on a good basis and have hit four once or twice. I like it and will use this lottery software until I hit the big one.
Franco

I have won the Fantasy Five lottery twice (all five numbers)...and am confident that I will win again.
Rita

I downloaded your lottery software this evening at 6PM and ran it. At 11PM I'm $160 richer!
This is the first no BS lotto software I have found.
Etienne

I love your web site and Lotto Buster lottery software. I downloaded ... crunched numbers for a couple of hours ... my 1st time and I got 5 of 6 in Texas Lottery for $1245 !!!
Robin

I have been using your lottery software with steady success. Have been hitting three numbers on a good basis and have hit four once or twice. Will use it until I hit the big one.
Franco

I want you to know that the first time I played, on the first choice, first line, I hit on the Ohio super lottery 3 (three) numbers.
This lottery software works great.

I played the Florida Lottery last Saturday and I won. 1 ticket with 3 numbers & 1 with 4 numbers.
Your Lottery Software is Enormously Good.
Now I looking for the 6 of 6 with the help of Lotto Buster.
Elton

I have played the lottery in MD for years and could only hit 2 or 3 numbers. The First time I used Lotto Buster lottery software I hit 4 of 6, almost 5 of 6, just one number off.
This lotto software is GREAT!
Jennifer

This week I used your lottery software and won. All 3 of my tickets had winning #'s. The best ticket had 5 of 6!
I've used other lottery software calculators in the past, I like yours best!
It's accurate, professional looking and easy to use!
Richard

My name is Dan and I'm from Romania.
I have worked with your lottery software and I can say that it is exceptional, wonderful.
I won three times in a row because of you and I want to thank you for this excellent lotto software.
Dan T.

Excellent!! Precise instructions, perfect results. Thanks a million.
Andrew

I WON!!! I can't believe it. My wife and I have been playing the lottery for the last six months and didn't win a penny. The first time I used Lotto Buster lottery software I got 4 numbers.
Darien

I have tried many other lottery software programs, some are not too bad, but most are merely lottery number arrangers, which track appearances, frequencies, and number associations. I can find no lotto program other than yours, which utilizes the analytical approaches that you do.
Dick

Well I won again this month making my total pull for the month 317.00, Not bad.
John

Finally hit 5 numbers for the first time.
I have been hitting 3 and 4 pretty regularly but I think I finally got my search limits zeroed in. Here's looking for that 6th number.
A. Ramos

Your lottery software is such a great lottery software program I can hardly think of anything to improve it.
Thanks again for a great lottery software.
Anthony

I think your lottery software is good, and I enjoy it. As I get better at using the available selections, my success continues to improve.
L. G.

I just downloaded the new lottery software update and it is really spectacular. It's so easy to use and the selection of pick choices adds so much flexibility for experimentation and comparison of results. The graphs are great and print well in color. I am running the 95/98 version on a Compaq Presario 486 with an AMD upgrade overdrive 133 Mhz chip and my machine and it handles all functions very fast.
Chelsee

Just registered my lottery software. I used it this weekend for the first time and after paying for the plays and the software I'm still $148.00 up.
Thanks for a great software

Goodday' Sherry and Jim.
I got 3 from 6 this week-end. Still only small winnings but your software is paid for from the total lottery winnings that I have had.
until later b.f.n.

I downloaded the trial version of your lottery software and then purchased the registered version. It does just what it is supposed to do. I had a 3/6 win the first time out. Now I am hoping for a 4/6 and a 5/6 win while I wait on the jackpot to come my way.
Tony

Love your lottery software!!!! I never won anything until I started using it.
Beth

I really enjoy your Lotto Buster lottery software. I will informing my friends how it is best lottery software going for lottery number picking and printing lottery tickets.
Claude

I have downloaded a bunch of lottery software and Lotto Buster is the only one I still use.
Tracy

I purchase your lottery software and really enjoy using it. I looked for quite a long time for a lottery software that worked and found it in Lotto Buster.
B Brown

We have a lot of fun playing lottery using Lotto Buster lottery software.
I WILL BE RICH $$$$$$$
Gerry

Great lottery software, cuts down the odds significantly, waiting to get a 6/6 win on California Super Lottery Plus.
Joe A.

The lottery software is great and customer service is the best on the net, take it from me.
Dominic

No other lottery software on market compares with Lotto Buster
Douglas

Great lottery software!!!! 'Nuf said.
Ken

P.S. read through each of those testimonials, and even if your not probability-challenged, you'll probably have a fleeting thought of "Hey, maybe there's something to this."

No wonder people believe that managers can actively beat the market in the long run.

AirJordan said:
You guys should seriously have a throw down with the people at Motley Fool, Fund Alarm, and M-Star, they all swear by actively managed funds, but hey 1 out of 4 ain't bad

AJ, all you need to do is to present some real data, not anecdotal, (though I do like T-Al's references!) to back up your claim.

Bring us something that can be discussed. Everything else is just a childish 'is-to.... is-not....' 'throw down'.

Bring us some data - we are listening. Show us you are even 1/10 as smart as you first claimed. :D

-ERD50

I have a theoretical question about indexing that has been bothering me for a while. Forgive me for using AirHead's troll thread to ask it.

Let's suppose that the entire world, bar none, decides that indexing is best, and everyone "buys the market" for all their investment needs, and never trades on market data, nor even watches the market data, etc., but only trades per their own (e.g. retirement) needs. Is it not possible that volatility in the markets would then be (1) smoothed substantially and (2) driven substantially by macro-economic forces (e.g. baby boomer's retirements, etc.) that are unrelated to market fundamentals? If this is true, what are the other ramifications? What percentage of all holdings are in broad index funds?

Thanks.

ERD50 said:
AFAIK, no Nobel laureates or other Economics PhD's have discovered it either.

-ERD50

Ummm... look at the DFA staff, I'm pretty sure they've "discovered" it

Grep said:
I have a theoretical question about indexing that has been bothering me for a while. Forgive me for using AirHead's troll thread to ask it.

Let's suppose that the entire world, bar none, decides that indexing is best, and everyone "buys the market" for all their investment needs, and never trades on market data, nor even watches the market data, etc., but only trades per their own (e.g. retirement) needs. Is it not possible that volatility in the markets would then be (1) smoothed substantially and (2) driven substantially by macro-economic forces (e.g. baby boomer's retirements, etc.) that are unrelated to market fundamentals? If this is true, what are the other ramifications? What percentage of all holdings are in broad index funds?

Thanks.

The numbers follow: btw I posted about this before -
http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=5034.msg89291#msg89291
You should read the posts on that topic in the link - this has been discussed extensively and the synopsis is that we are so far away from even getting close to 20% of all invested funds being indexed that it is not an issue. Also MPT says that if everyone thinks it is a good idea and does it it will create inefficiences that will get exploited.

this is the data I collected for S&P 500 since that is the biggest Index - I think this is for 2004.

1. $626 billion is indexed to the S&P 500.
1a. $255 billion of S&P 500 indexing is by Mutual Funds - the rest is all the Institutional money not in mutual funds by indexed.
2. Float Adj Market Cap of S&P 500 is $11,000 billion

That's 6% guys and not that high. Also 10% of individual investors hold Index funds & 30% of Institutional Funds do so.

References:
www.ici.org
http://www.standardandpoors.com/
http://www.nasdaq.com/reference/IndexDescriptions.stm
http://www.ifa.com/

Hey AJ - be a man, not a punk. Go ahead and post your current holdings and cost basis along with your subsequent trades here online. That way we 'helpless haystackers' can learn from your awesomeness. Otherwise I second the motion that you get a cup of STFU. ;)

Alex said:
Hey AJ - be a man, not a punk.

And while you're at it, would you please stop implicitly comparing
yourself to Michael Jordan ? It's not appropriate. I know Michael
Jordan, and you sir are no ...

10k DODFX (Dodge and Cox)
8k RYVPX (Royce Value Plus)
5k FAIRX (Fairholme)
5k JSVAX (Janus Contrarian)
5k FBRVX (FBR Small Cap)
5k ARTKX (Artisan Small Cap)
10k VPCCX (Primecap Core)
10k PREOX (Perrit Emerging Ops.)

Beating Indexes is EZ

Also, I really don't like to trade, I'm more of a buy and hold type. I don't believe that panicing got anyone anywhere, and timing the market is too hard. If I wanted to trade I'd play with equities, but the consensus of the board is I'm not that smart... :D

Hmmm - time for my 'graduate level' crusty curmudgeon lecture.

If you can't get a grip on hormones and insist on trying to beat indexes - you might as well go all the way to individual stocks AND go right to the top.

1. Never listen to men. Women are better at investing.

2. pssst Investment Quality Trends - at least the men are trained by Geraldine.

heh heh heh - for added points look up the Hulbert rating. BTY - as a fallback DFA is a good house but you still have the drag of their fees.

unclemick2 said:
Hmmm - time for my 'graduate level' crusty curmudgeon lecture.

If you can't get a grip on hormones and insist on trying to beat indexes - you might as well go all the way to individual stocks AND go right to the top.

I would mick, but I don't have the time, and effort to pick stocks, and find great ipo's, or undervalued companies. Picking mutual funds is what I'm content doing.

Back
Top Bottom