Inherited IRA and 457 Plan

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Even though I am taking RMD's from an Inherited IRA now I am wondering when I become 70 and 1/2 how would I take RMD from 457? I guess you can't add the two together and take the full amount from either or combination of two. I'm thinking Inherited IRA has its own rules and I would have to take a full RMD from 457. Thoughts? :confused:

Yes, inherited IRAs have their own rules. Unless it was inherited from a spouse, it cannot be combined.

It was inherited from my brother to me and my three siblings. So I guess it sounds like two separate RMD's. Which makes me think I should be taking all if not most of my distributions from my retirement accounts for the next 8 or 9 years because at that point I will be making quite hefty RMD withdrawals.

If you are still working move as much from your IRA to a Roth as you can, maybe even find a funky job so you can qualify. Roths are not subject to RMDs.

If you are still working move as much from your IRA to a Roth as you can, maybe even find a funky job so you can qualify. Roths are not subject to RMDs.
Yeah, should have done that years ago.

IRS rules do not permit converting an inherited IRA to a Roth. RMD rules are different as well (as the OP already mentioned) so it can’t be rolled over to a trad IRA either.

Lots of info available from the Google. I did a lot of research earlier this year when I inherited half of DF’s IRA.

My suggestion applied only to the OP's existing IRA, not the inherited IRA.

Back
Top Bottom