Investing advice for 13 year old?

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and input - some great ideas here.

My initial plan is to Facetime with him next week to get a feel for just how serious he is about this subject - understanding he's 13 and occasionally :) has a short attention span. Another question I have is what discussions he's had with his parents about stock investing and are they on board.

Based on the responses I get, I'll then either suggest the "fantasy investment" route or, if I think he's serious enough, using some of his own money in a custodial account. While I'd love to reward his efforts with some matching cash, DW and I have worked hard over the years to be completely fair to each of our five grandchildren. Not going to chance going off script now.

To be clear, the matching cash that I was suggesting the "investment club" would still be 50% him and 50% you in a joint brokerage account with both your names on it.

You could always made a decision whether or not to give him your 50% later.

To be clear, the matching cash that I was suggesting the "investment club" would still be 50% him and 50% you in a joint brokerage account with both your names on it.

You could always made a decision whether or not to give him your 50% later.

My concern is if I decided to not give him my 50% he would think it unfair and if I did give it to him his sister and three cousins would think it unfair. That's a no win situation I'm trying to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom