Investment loss greater than Withdrawals

If you have "a lot" in the market you have to expect up and down years. Stay the course!

Here are our results since 1/1/11 when I FIREd. You'll see this is the second down year. We feel pretty blessed to be up 66% since I retired - even after all our spending. Note we track our financial assets - excluding the house we live in. No Pension, no SS for many years to come.

Older thread, but I thought this particular response and chart was somewhat reassuring for those of us who retired this year and are reliant on their portfolios to cover their spend. Personally, despite having a plan that anticipated a high probability of a down market this year, it still psychologically messes with you (at least me) when I see my portfolio balance drop multiple times relative to my planned spend. I find I am having a harder time giving myself permission on some "extra spend" despite having a WR around 2.5% based on today's current balance. Funny, if I re-retire today, everything feels hunky-dory. Interesting how we can interpret our numbers to either pull in the reigns or loosen them up.

Attachments

• EOY2018.jpg
    EOY2018.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 54
In the same boat... retired in January 2022 with 70/30 allocation..
Never was concerned with market volatility during accumulation (was 100% stock until ~ 3 years before retiring. But its a completely different perspective when living from the portfolio and one wonder if this is a short blip or the start of a long period of bad returns / inflation.:(

Sequence of Return Risk - SORR. It’s real and it’s real hard to recover from. Early years of retirement should put capital preservation at or near the top of priorities.

Sequence of Return Risk - SORR. It’s real and it’s real hard to recover from. Early years of retirement should put capital preservation at or near the top of priorities.
... which can be done by a sensible asset allocation that reduces or eliminates the need to sell equities into a down market. That's true "early years" or not.

Hmmm.....not sure I agree that capital preservation should be at the top of priorities. I retired 5 and a half years ago and despite 2 bear markets my portfolio is up 50%. If I dragged my portfolio down with a high cash or bond allocation I'd have nowhere close to that growth.

Hmmm.....not sure I agree that capital preservation should be at the top of priorities. I retired 5 and a half years ago and despite 2 bear markets my portfolio is up 50%. If I dragged my portfolio down with a high cash or bond allocation I'd have nowhere close to that growth.

I am up more than 50% in the last five years with capital preservation as a priority. One does not have to give up returns in order to protect your next egg from the downside.

I am up more than 50% in the last five years with capital preservation as a priority. One does not have to give up returns in order to protect your next egg from the downside.

What asset allocation allowed you to do that?

I'm essentially all stock.

The biggie was real estate.

OK...I'm referring to liquid assets. When I hear terms like "preservation of assets" I think more of fixed income. A goal of "growth and preservation" is kind of an oxymoron.

We semi-retired to Reno in 2015 and our portfolio is up despite a quite conservative allocation (reduced from 68% to 55%) before 2018, when the big withdrawals would begin. My portfolio is down only about 10% despite making withdrawals between 6-9%, which I did not model (I asssume DW's would go up while mine might go down quite a bit).

I was OK with treading water or a slow reduction until FWA for me in 2025 (DW in 2029) when SS essentially will pay for all necessary expenses.

I'm happy for all of you with 80-100% allocations since you should have weathered the 2020 and the 2022 bears quite well, but I would mildly note that this quick of a recovery is rather unusual, so I wouldn't declare victory, particularly since it isn't yet clear whether the 2022 bear is over. On SORR, you don't know the market you are going to get the first 5-10 years, so you might plan prudently particularly if your margin is not a large one . I'm hoping I still have 30 years to go, although it's probably more like 20-24 (I hope).

I'm aware that many here have a huge margin of safety, so in that circumstance, an 80-100% stock allocation probably won't make much of a difference.

Agree.
Better to have (more than) sufficient retirement income from pension/annuities and eventually, age 70 SS.

I'm fortunate to have excess retirement income from those sources, so I've been putting a few thousand dollars into stock index funds each month for the past few years...

OK...I'm referring to liquid assets. When I hear terms like "preservation of assets" I think more of fixed income. A goal of "growth and preservation" is kind of an oxymoron.

Well when I sold, it was pretty liquid. LOL

As someone else mentioned, if you have income that also acts as a preserver of capital because you don’t have to touch anything when the market drops. That’s where my muni ladder has been a big help. It throws off more than we need to live and I hold individual bonds to maturity for the most part which means no loss of capital.

All together, we are up 64% since the start of 2017 and that includes the recent haircut and taking out living expenses.

Last edited:
We’ve been living mostly off of maturing CDs this year. Our stocks dropped quite a bit, but we still have more than two years ago and a lot more than when we retired in 2013 and 2016.

Back
Top Bottom