Irrational frugality

I did away with pennies by using my debit card for all purchases under $10, CC for above. Since parking meters and buses started using prepaid or credit cards, I have no use for change.:dance:

Likewise. I keep some quarters in my cars in case I need to put air in the tires. Otherwise I give any change I get to my DW who carts it around in her purse. Only downside is that sometimes I have to wait as she counts it out at stores, Geesh.

When I'm in Arizona it is even worse. I don't really have much use for $1 dollar bills. Mostly use cash for tipping the car Jockies and this would normally by a $5'er. Always happy when I can get rid of 5 ones. Wallet gets more comfortable to sit on.

Gotta be careful with this one. Ask at the dealership and do your research online. Just upgraded our 2008 Lexus RX 350 with a 2015 model. Both call for premium only, but both run fine on regular unleaded. The 2016 model does not.

Also have to make sure that where you pump gas actually has premium coming from the premium pumps. Many states don't have enough or any regulators monitoring this. I know there was research done several years ago and in the state of Michigan approximately 50% of premium pumps were pumping regular.

Yes Mexico is also a challenge. Peso coin is about 7 cents but they have it divided down to one tenth (10 centavos). Being a cash society, everything below a peso gets given away because they get replaced regularly.

A couple of things: 1) The pressure tank I was referring is a small one just for the RO system, they have a total volume (air and water) of just a few gallons. When it loses pressure in the air bladder it has zero impact on house-wide water pressure. 2) A properly functioning RO system will ONLY put out a small trickle of water from the RO membrane cartridge. That water gets collected in the separate pressure tank and accumulates there for later use. If the air in that pressure tank bladder isn't at the right pressure, the water drinking water won't dispense under pressure (in practice, what often happens is the water does accumulate and develop some pressure against the deflated bladder, but only the first few ounces will come out at a "normal" rate and then the rest comes at a much lower rate).

I suspect you may be thinking of the household--wide pressure tank used with a residential well system. That's a different thing.

Funny.... a thread hijack!!! And it was me that did it...

It is probably my tank... I have a bigger one for some reason, like 1 1/2 to 2X what I see online.... and I looked at it quickly... it says it can operate up to 120 psi!!! Yes, that is on the tank... not the 5 to 10 psi I see on the videos... but, I do not see where to put in the air... the tank is behind all my pipes and garbage disposal, so not sure how to get it out...

If that's the case, the water pressure in the entire house would be affected. I'm betting the cartridges in the RO system need to be changed out. Very low pressure (trickle) out of the RO system is what typically alerts the user to change out the cartridges.

My undersink RO water began to have low water volume, so I followed this procedure.
An easy check is to let a small amount of air out of the tank, and if any water comes out, it's defective. There's a rubber bladder inside that can develop a leak over time. I suspect this is a common failure for RO systems. You can find replacement RO tanks online for around $40 delivered, depending on capacity.

Funny.... a thread hijack!!! And it was me that did it...

It is probably my tank... I have a bigger one for some reason, like 1 1/2 to 2X what I see online.... and I looked at it quickly... it says it can operate up to 120 psi!!! Yes, that is on the tank... not the 5 to 10 psi I see on the videos... but, I do not see where to put in the air... the tank is behind all my pipes and garbage disposal, so not sure how to get it out...
Maybe somebody saw tat 120 PSI label on your tank and believed it--that would certainly rupture a typical RO bladder.

+2

I love 4X fuel points on gift cards at Kroger.

I once calculated a 19% discount with the 4X fuel points (AMEX 5%, plus $1/gal discount on fuel up to 35 gal). It's 12% with 2X fuel points, which is the standard deal for gift cards. My Suburban holds 30 gallons, so I just have to wait until it's completely empty and also bring my 5 gallon can. I once brought a 1 gallon can also, but the pump cuts you off at exactly 35 gallons.

Thanks for sharing that tip, I have to take better advantage of that "loyalty" card.

Although, since ER, we only fill up once a month if that. But I'm game for the game.

_B

Thanks for sharing that tip, I have to take better advantage of that "loyalty" card.

Although, since ER, we only fill up once a month if that. But I'm game for the game.

_B
It's a pretty good deal. Of course, I wonder how much I'm paying in higher prices at Kroger in order to get it. I rationalize that Kroger is close, convenient, and has what I want vs. possibly cheaper alternatives. (I suspect they are cheaper--I haven't priced them out).

I did away with pennies by using my debit card for all purchases under $10, CC for above. Since parking meters and buses started using prepaid or credit cards, I have no use for change.:dance:

Me too. I go out of my way to not deal with cash. One it's a PIA and 2, I play the CC points game hard. We have pushed as much as $100k/year through our two cards, we use it for everything, lunches at work, gas, food and major purchased that we can. We have been on at least 2 international airline trips in Business/First Class on points alone. I really feel like the CC industry is one that the fiscally disciplined can really game on. I don't think we have carried a balance on any CC month to month for decades, we always pay them off every month.

Maybe somebody saw tat 120 PSI label on your tank and believed it--that would certainly rupture a typical RO bladder.

Since I have not touched it since moving in 6 years ago and it working until recently... not likely... but... I wonder if this is a different kind of tank... still have to get it out, but DW says leave it alone for now..

It's a pretty good deal. Of course, I wonder how much I'm paying in higher prices at Kroger in order to get it. I rationalize that Kroger is close, convenient, and has what I want vs. possibly cheaper alternatives. (I suspect they are cheaper--I haven't priced them out).

Kroger is not my main grocery store because (a) it's too big, and (b) the prices are higher than most. I shop there occasionally, but I mainly go there for the 2X and 4X fuel points on gift card purchases. And their gas is already among the cheapest in town.

That reminded me... When paying with cash the total amount is rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents, but when paying with credit or debit, the exact amount is charged.

Amounts ending in $.01 or $.02 round down when paying cash. Amounts ending in $.03 or $.04 round up. You can arbitrage this.

If it would round down, then pay in cash, saving 1 or 2 cents. If it would round up, then pay debit or credit, avoiding the extra cent or 2 that would result from rounding.

Could really add up over time!:LOL:

That reminded me... When paying with cash the total amount is rounded up or down to the nearest 5 cents, but when paying with credit or debit, the exact amount is charged.

Amounts ending in $.01 or $.02 round down when paying cash. Amounts ending in $.03 or $.04 round up. You can arbitrage this.

If it would round down, then pay in cash, saving 1 or 2 cents. If it would round up, then pay debit or credit, avoiding the extra cent or 2 that would result from rounding.

Could really add up over time!:LOL:

Now THAT's irrational! :facepalm:

My most irrational frugality that I have broken to some degree is teabags. I just remember growing up seeing my parents reuse teabags over and over to get the last little flavoring from them. It took me years to break that habit, but at times I still feel like I'm wasting things if I toss one out after one use.

Another area, due to me traveling and attending technical conferences several times a year - I'll always squirrel away a water (or occasionally a soda) and/or a tea bag during breaks. This saves paying the hotel room or vending machine charges for those items (though AT LAST more hotels are starting to provide teabags in rooms for us non-coffee drinkers). Of course, the only problem is that, if I flew to the conference, I have to make sure I drink it all or give them away, since I cannot take them back on the airplane. :)

What you need is a teapot. One bag will make a whole pot of tea. If you don't drink all the tea you can save it in the fridge for iced or just warm it up in the micro.

Sometimes, I just recite "life is too short" and buy the first one I see. Let's face it. Most of us on this board will have lots of money left around when we die. Why waste the precious time thinking about saving $1.00 unless you enjoy that sort of thing?

When I was in accumulation mode, I was frugal to a fault. Now that I am retired, I can be more generous to me and others b/c my retirement budget allows for it.

Speaking of frugality and gas: For every $100 we spend, our supermarket gives us 10 cents off per gallon of gas, but just on one fillup. The max fillup is 35 gallons. When it is time, DW and I both go in separate cars to opposite sides of the pump and do a single sale. Plus I bring my 5 gallon can. We got 34 gallons in our two cars plus the can last time. It's a bit of a hassle, but only takes about 15 minutes, and we saved $30 last time.
Kroger? We play this trick when we visit my Dad's.

There are quite a few things I will do, but only if convenient to me and easy to work into our everyday life. I will buy Amazon or iTunes gift cards when I can get a discount. I tend to track the best gas prices locally and switch between - we only fill up about every 2 weeks (or even longer!) so this is easy to time with our normal errands.

But I rarely agonize over the cheapest purchase of an item. We tend to buy the higher quality items, but not the most expensive. I sometimes chide DH for obsessing over a $5 or $10 difference for an item that is already above $100 - as what matters more is whether an item is a better match for our needs. Old habits die hard though. These things have been ingrained into us.

No coupon clipping, although we'll save and use a coupon printed at checkout if it matches what we would buy anyway. We have carte blanche to buy whatever we like grocery wise, and quality is the first concern. Then good value for good quality. Love Costco for this. HEB provides lots of good value too.

I like pre-made hamburger patties, separated by wax paper, frozen. then I can grill up exactly the number of burgers I need. But my market upcharges their pre-mades by almost 100% over the large "Family Pack" ground meat (same % lean quality).
So I bought this little press and the wax sheets on Amazon and I press them myself. My wife thinks I'm nuts. It takes about 10 minutes to do 5 lbs.
But not only does it save a nickel, it makes it so much easier to cook burgers (one of my favorite meals).
it makes me happy.

Speaking of frugality and gas: For every $100 we spend, our supermarket gives us 10 cents off per gallon of gas, but just on one fillup. The max fillup is 35 gallons. When it is time, DW and I both go in separate cars to opposite sides of the pump and do a single sale. Plus I bring my 5 gallon can. We got 34 gallons in our two cars plus the can last time. It's a bit of a hassle, but only takes about 15 minutes, and we saved $30 last time.

We save up our gas points for the gas guzzling van. I also started using the coupons they send us which gives us 2-4x points and other extras. From December through February this year DH spent no money on gas. My Prius doesn't use much gas anyway so our gas bill is nil. Lately their extra pints have been in junk food and baby/toddler food do we haven't been able to save as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

IRRATIONAL?
I buy paper towels maybe twice a year and guard them. The other morning I laughed out loud when DH cut the bottom from a toothpaste tube so we could use all of it! He does the same with the dogs' toothpaste of course it is 10 dollars a tube.
But, hey, you don't get to where you're sitting on a stash o' cash by throwing money away!

IRRATIONAL?
I buy paper towels maybe twice a year and guard them. The other morning I laughed out loud when DH cut the bottom from a toothpaste tube so we could use all of it! He does the same with the dogs' toothpaste of course it is 10 dollars a tube.
But, hey, you don't get to where you're sitting on a stash o' cash by throwing money away!

I do the same thing. The tube of doggie toothpaste is getting pretty empty at the moment but I can still squeeze out enough for a brushing. Once I
I can't anymore I will cut the tube open and probably get another brushing or 2.

BTW, every night after dinner when I go into the bathroom to floss my teeth (using a generic brand of floss) my dog plops himself on the floor waiting to have his teeth brushed. Since he only gets his teeth brushed evert 2 or 3 days, he's often disappointed.

Hmmm... I wonder if we could save on toothbrushes by sharing the same brush?
:D

Back
Top Bottom