IRS PIN & E-filing

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been unable to e-file using ANY tax software for the past three years. Even though I've retrieved my transcript and the prior year AGI the IRS states is ours and that AGI agrees with their records, I am continually rejected. I've tried several different software options, both paid and free, and no luck. Really, really pi$$es me off. Apparently, I'm one of many lucky individuals whose account is corrupted and they may or may not ever get around to uncorrupting it.

Our financial advisor, also a CPA who does taxes for clients that want to pay for it, told me to apply for a PIN. I did, and I got one.

Here's my question. I don't ever remember seeing a spot in any of the software packages for entry of the IRS PIN.

Anyone familiar with this?

All the packages have a place to enter this. I don't know specifically where it is in HRB (the one I use) since I don't personally have a PIN (also referred to as IP PIN by some).

We get these often at TaxAide and the TaxSlayer Pro software has a place to enter this.

I have been unable to e-file using ANY tax software for the past three years. Even though I've retrieved my transcript and the prior year AGI the IRS states is ours and that AGI agrees with their records, I am continually rejected. I've tried several different software options, both paid and free, and no luck. Really, really pi$$es me off. Apparently, I'm one of many lucky individuals whose account is corrupted and they may or may not ever get around to uncorrupting it.

Our financial advisor, also a CPA who does taxes for clients that want to pay for it, told me to apply for a PIN. I did, and I got one.

Here's my question. I don't ever remember seeing a spot in any of the software packages for entry of the IRS PIN.

Yep, TT has it... IIRC I couldn't find it a few years ago, so I just wrote it in after printing out the forms (I file by mail) but last year it "appeared" as an entry on the electronic form.

EDIT/Update: It's entered under "Other Tax Situations" section with TT.

Last edited:

I had to enter it once, years ago, in TurboTax. Since then, it just remembers it every year, so I can glance at it and confirm it's right.

Just checked HRB 2021. It is under Federal>Miscellaneous>Home

there is a check box that presumably triggers a dialog to enter the PIN.

I had to enter it once, years ago, in TurboTax. Since then, it just remembers it every year, so I can glance at it and confirm it's right.
Doesn't it change each year? I know I get a letter from the IRS each year with my "PIN" but I never checked to see if it changes from year to year.

EDIT/Update: I just checked the IRS website on the topic and it says:

Important Information about IP PINs

• An IP PIN is valid for one calendar year.
  • A new IP PIN is generated each year for your account.

Last edited:
Doesn't it change each year? I know I get a letter from the IRS each year with my "PIN" but I never checked to see if it changes from year to year.

Yes; they send a new one every year. Note: the IP PIN (IRS provided) is not the same as the 5-digit "Pin" that some software often prompts for. I know there is the 5-digit one in TaxSlayer (and HRB) and I always just jam in the zip code for that since I know it. The IRS IP PIN is something different altogether. The IP-PIN is a six-digit number that the IRS will provide by mail every year.

Yes; they send a new one every year. Note: the IP PIN (IRS provided) is not the same as the 5-digit "Pin" that some software often prompts for. I know there is the 5-digit one in TaxSlayer (and HRB) and I always just jam in the zip code for that since I know it. The IRS IP PIN is something different altogether. The IP-PIN is a six-digit number that the IRS will provide by mail every year.
The bold text above is what I'm talking about.

Thanks. I stand corrected.

PIN entry is kind of hidden in Turbotax also. First year I needed PIN filing I almost forget that I need a PIN from that year onward.

I've used TT and HRB and they both query if you have a PIN. IT's near the end before filing options. DW and I each get separate PINs for our MFJ return due to a phony return that was filed on our record many years ago. We had a similar problem with efiling for many many years. No one could explain why the efile was rejected. We even had DW update her SS record to first, middle, maiden, and married name but it did not help. Then about 5 yrs ago I tried again and it went through.

Back
Top Bottom