IRS Taxpayer Advocate Interaction

PaunchyPirate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I thought I'd report on my interaction with a subject matter that I've seen mentioned on this forum in the past -- The IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

This is an independent group within the IRS set up by an act of Congress to help taxpayers resolve issues with the IRS that they have been unable to resolve by the more normal contact methods. They can't really expedite your tax return due to Covid delays. But if there are other circumstances that are causing the delay, then maybe they can.

You request their help by filling out Form 911 and sending it in to one of their offices.

Some of you may have seen me post elsewhere about my 83 year old mother's ongoing issue (since the 2017 tax filing) with the IRS. My father died that year and it seems that the IRS somehow marked her as deceased too (or instead). We've had to call them every year to resolve various issues that were side effects of this. Each year, we are able to get them to "fix it", but then the issue returns the next tax season. The IRS agents have told us that it is their fault -- a known issue. But each time they fix it, they say this should do it. But it doesn't. The issue is currently holding up her $2400 tax return. They've processed it, but have had it on hold since August with no communication to us.

So I decided to fill out Form 911 and see if it did anything. Couldn't hurt. I am an authorized Power of Attorney for IRS issues for my Mom. We've done this by filling out IRS paperwork. I'm not her overall POA.

Less than 2 weeks after sending in the form, I received a call from an agent with the Taxpayer Advocates office. We spoke for about 30 minutes on the issue. His first assumption was that the Social Security Administration has put her in the Master Death File that they send the IRS twice a year. While this MAY be the cause, he agreed that this doesn't seem likely since the SSA has never missed a benefit payment to her, sends her a yearly tax form showing her benefits, and hasn't done anything to interrupt her Medicare benefits. Her state pension benefit hasn't been alerted to her death by the SSA either. So it seems unlikely that the issue is the SSA.

So, his role now is to investigate with IRS channels to determine what is happening. He had access to the history of her account as we talked. He was able to see how the "deceased" flag was set and reset multiple times on specific dates. Hopefully he can get access to their technical people and determine/fix the issue.

He told me that we should not expect to see her tax return until at least April 22nd at this point. That would be a target date only. It will be a paper check and not direct deposit (which her tax form requested). He confirmed the amount and can see it in the system "on hold". He said it's also possible that the check could be sent at any time before that date too. It all depends on how the resolution works out internally.

For the 2021 filing, he suggested that we do not file it until he has more information for us. We should perhaps wait until just before the filing deadline. He thinks if we filed it electronically this week (which we could do), that the IRS would reject it due to her "deceased" status. That is what happened one year ago.

He also scheduled a call-back appointment with me for March 18th just as a status report check-in. He actually gave me his direct phone number in case something happens that I need to talk to him about something.

So, while the problem isn't resolved yet, we certainly do see a glimmer of hope. We will continue to be patient and see what he can come up with. Fortunately, Mom isn't in need of the money to meet her expenses. But still, one would like to have money that belongs to them.

I just thought some people would be interested in hearing about the Taxpayer Advocate group. I'll keep this thread informed of any activity on the issue.

Last edited:
I just thought some people would be interested in hearing about the Taxpayer Advocate group. I'll keep this thread informed of any activity on the issue.

You are lucky. I requested help from them on 9/1/2021 to help resolve the tax return the IRS lost of mine in 2017. (long story - IRS communications went nowhere by me and my CPA). I sent all the documents along with the 911 form and to this date, have not heard a word from them. Calls went unanswered and I could not schedule an appointment. I gave up in December.

Oh, I eventually resolved the issue myself before the end of the year.

Interesting to hear the contrasting experiences. Good to know it's there, regardless.

We had a fairly positive experience also even though the advocate could not help us, it was reassuring to hear that we were most likely just in the backlog of >12 months of paper returns. She was generous with her time. I don’t recall filling out any form. I think we sailed in and waited on hold for ~20 minutes.

I called the IRS directly last month and the results were surprisingly very positive. It took a long time to complete the conversation, but the IRS employee was very friendly. She handled all but one of the four issues I had, and then scheduled an appointment for me to visit an IRS office in my city (which I never knew was there).

After being told by the IRS that my tax issue (discussed in another thread) would probably yield were I to contact my Congressional representative, I did so about a week ago. They've been quite responsive, understanding and helpful.

It does seem that my Congressional representative's office is just submitting a request to the TAS on my behalf. It will be interesting to me to see if it makes any difference coming from them rather than a mere ordinary taxpayer such as myself.

Yeah, they're the government and you are a suspect. Guilty until proven innocent.

I called the IRS directly last month and the results were surprisingly very positive. It took a long time to complete the conversation, but the IRS employee was very friendly. She handled all but one of the four issues I had, and then scheduled an appointment for me to visit an IRS office in my city (which I never knew was there).

OP here. I have had probably 15 phone interactions with IRS phone agents over the last several years on my issue. In every single one of them, the agent has tried to be helpful and was very professional and pleasant. They genuinely try to help you, in my experience. I have no complaints with the agents. However, in our case, they have not been able to solve the problem over the long term. They can only do so much. If one is lucky enough to have a problem that can be resolved by an agent, they will do their best.

OP here. I have had probably 15 phone interactions with IRS phone agents over the last several years on my issue. In every single one of them, the agent has tried to be helpful and was very professional and pleasant. They genuinely try to help you, in my experience. I have no complaints with the agents. However, in our case, they have not been able to solve the problem over the long term. They can only do so much. If one is lucky enough to have a problem that can be resolved by an agent, they will do their best.

My experience has been similar. They're professional and pleasant, but in my case there is some shadowy "Questionable Credits Department" which front line agents are not able to really help other than to say be patient and wait for the QCD folks to contact you at some unknown point in the future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom