Is 250k where compounding takes over?

I hope to break $1MM the year I turn 40, expecting to contribute another $100k and hopefully have some positive returns during the next 18 months.

That was my goal as well and I achieved it. After that, you will really begin to notice that portfolio growth is creeping towards (or past) your annual contributions. This isn't to say that you should stop contributing, but rather that you have the ability to invest some of your annual earnings in other ways (e.g., 529s for your kid(s), new(er) car(s), smart home improvements, etc...)

Howlong ago was that and how has your portfolio progressed?

I'd rather not get too much into specifics. However, I will say that like others here, I've enjoyed the recent bull market, as well as healthy compensation increases by changing jobs, since reaching the $1MM threshold.

It's a mathematical reality that compounding starts the minute you have invested savings that you are not going to raid. There is no magic number. There appears to be a threshold because humans do not think geometrically; we think arithmetically unless we train ourselves away from this.

Ha

+1 Good point. Even for exponential inputs our biological sensors are designed to translate exponential inputs to perceived arithmetic ones. One example that was "illuminated" to me when I did a project which had to make a sensor measure light from partial moonlight to full sunlight. It took an effort to get a sensor to do this while our eyes adjust just fine for both by automatically changing sensors (rods to cones) and adjusting the pupil size. To us even these dramatic logarithmic changes seem reasonable and linear even though they are not.

I think for most people when we invest we really only see some numbers on a brokerage or 401k statement. There are not piles of money sitting in front of us. It is invisible money, not like the cash money you just spent on that can of soup. Now that is real money.

But we do notice a difference if we made $100 vs $100,000 that year. So in the beginning our 10% increase may only be $100 which is a pretty paltry $8 a month, not a great difference in our lifestyle, while later we might see that same 10% as a good $8000 a month. Now that does make a difference in our life.

So while the physical (and financial?) world might be geometric, I think what we really attach to are the emotional differences. $8000 a month really is different than $8 a month, so there really is a critical mass moment for us.

I think this gets to the crux of why it is so difficult for so many people to save. They simply cannot believe in the power of compounding, even when it is shown to them. It does not make intuitive sense. How can you get $8000 a month starting from nothing? In fact, I have shown young people what compounding can do for them, and on one occasion even been called a liar.

Oh well, linear beings in an exponential world.

From Wikipedia:
Illuminance and Surfaces illuminated by:
0.0001 lux Moonless, overcast night sky (starlight)[3]
0.002 lux Moonless clear night sky with airglow[3]
0.27–1.0 lux Full moon on a clear night[3][4]
3.4 lux Dark limit of civil twilight under a clear sky[5]
50 lux Family living room lights (Australia, 1998)[6]
80 lux Office building hallway/toilet lighting[7][8]
100 lux Very dark overcast day[3]
320–500 lux Office lighting[9][10][11]
400 lux Sunrise or sunset on a clear day.
1000 lux Overcast day;[3] typical TV studio lighting
10000–25000 lux Full daylight (not direct sun)[3]
32000–100000 lux Direct sunlight

I don't know where exactly the threshold lies where the power of compounding really becomes evident but as an early retiree (age 52 back 12/2002), I can certainly say it is absolutely amazing to me that my liquid NW has almost doubled since retirement while living off my investments. I wonder what it would have been like if instead of this terrible market most everybody says we have had over the last decade we had a nice one instead.

Nice curve! Can you add some more data to it to help illustrate compounding vs returns and contributions?

I don't have monthly data regarding contributions and returns, so I can't break it down unfortunately.

I posted a similar chart on another thread a week or so ago. Unfortunately I don't have a breakdown of investment return and contribution either. For me, exponential growth was pretty constant over the first 10 years or so at 18%, and then growth slowed down to 12%/yr at the end of 20 years as the annual contributions became a smaller and smaller proportion of the total. The average dollar growth per year has climbed by a factor of about 6 over those 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom