Is anyone staying the course?

As a matter of fact, I pretty much sold out when it got "closer" to the top about 10 days ago. The incongruence between main street and wall street was/is bothering me way too much. I did take a small hit, but worth it to me. I will sit on the sideline for a bit and see how this works out over the next few months. Yes, I could have stayed the course, but pulling out of the madness made sense for my mental health.

Dirty market timer here. I got out relatively high and bought back in much lower. DH also got out but is slower to move back in. Id say we timef half the portfolio, but we were wayyyy heavy equities bc it's fun money and my LTC. I also stocked up on tp and Clorox wipes in jan. Would like to say I'm brilliant, but we decided not to renew expiring Sam's club card so did a stick up prior to expiration. Lucky not smart.

Never hurts to have a thread to help us stay the course. It helps me.

I was moving ahead but I appreciated this thread.

I have mostly stayed the course. I did some tax harvesting and currently added some cash equal to about a year of living expenses. A small part of the portfolio.

I am also using this opportunity to organize my investments after moving from an FI where I had many individual stocks, with good gains, which I wanted to move to ETF & mutual funds. In that way, the slowdown has made it less painful for taxes.

Staying the course. Going in 58/42, end of March 53/47 from market action, now at 58/42 again.

I took some losses in an international fund. I was going to put it into a domestic total market fund, but decided for stash it into a CD for now. While I believe we will come out of this mess, it may be longer that I thought. I would be very happy to be proven wrong about that.

Navy Credit Union. Not available now though as far as I know.

I think I got into the 37mo 3% IRA CD just in time (2 weeks ago).
Moved 2 amounts within 2 week period since they let you add additional
funds in future up to max 150k. Each transfer they gave me $50 bonus and back dated 2nd deposit to date of initial open date.

... While I believe we will come out of this mess, it may be longer that I thought. I would be very happy to be proven wrong about that.
I don't know nuthin' but I am mentally and financially prepared for a 3-5 year dip. I, too, would be happy if proven wrong.

I have been doing tax loss harvesting and general cleanup, but otherwise holding onto equities simply because I still (hopefully) have a very long timeline on my investment portfolio, so there is time for a large % of it to recover. Knock on wood.

I was over 75/25, realized that was too high for my comfort and I have been moving it slowly and am now at about 50/50. Plan to let that hold and see where it goes.

Staying 60/40, but with the following caveats:

In November I Sold enough equities to fund 2020. My norm is to sell quarterly. Kicked myself for the 3 months of missed gains but looks like it was the way to go.

Bought a little bit in April, but couldn't bring myself to buy enough to get back to 60/40. 58/42 last I looked. I'm expecting another dip and will buy some then.

I look at things a bit different than just stick with an AA nowadays. I'll stay 60/40 as long as the FI portion can cover essential expenses plus a bit until I'm 70. At 70 SS covers more than my required expenses. So if AA drops to 40/60 or worse I won't be selling bonds if it cuts into my FI cushion.

My AA is nominally 75/25. I went to 80/20 at the start of the bear market and 85/15 when the markets were 30% down. I'm now close to 88/12 as stocks have risen and I haven't rebalanced. That will come after a full recovery, or before the next dip after that. Same thing I did for 2008.

Bought some equities with Roth conversion money on the way down. AA now stands at 39/41/20. I too think about selling out frequently and waiting this out. It’s a daily fight to continue staying the course, as this time does seem different than those since 1987.

I haven’t done anything since the downturn started except making Roth contributions for 2019 and 2020 ($14k). I have limit orders in at prices I think are low. If they don’t fill then the cash will stay put. Two were filled toward the end of March during that “local” low around the 23rd. One of those (Disney) has since suspended its dividend.

Last edited:
My, you are busy! I'd get ulcers from a move like that.

No fun in March when I saw a negative 200K+ drop in just one day and many negative 100k days. Every crash different but the happy ending is the same after 10+ years.

Last edited:
Of course I am staying the course!

I rebalanced on 1/1/2020 because I always do that during the first week in January. But then, due to market fluctuations, by March 23rd I was out of balance enough that I had to rebalance again in order to get back to my usual/planned AA.

Right now I am perfectly happy with my portfolio and it's nice to see the market climbing again.

I've sold off various things in IRA / ROTH that are down about 10-15% from the high points, just to get cash, in case 1929 repeats.

I've left taxable accounts fully invested as the capital gains would be monstrously huge.

We were/are heavy into stocks, easily 80-85% stocks, over the past year I've slowly been moving us more into non-stock as previously our stock allocation was 90-95% which felt too high as the market defied gravity.

Just to add my voice to those more-or-less staying the course.

60/40 is now 55+/45-... just inside my rebalancing bands.

I've made one small (2%) rebalance early on to keep AA within the rebalancing band.

I was slightly overweight in equities this morning, but sold some. I guess that is staying the course.

I have to confess I've wavered, yielded to temptation and not stayed the course. I sold some equities after the market bounced back last month, reducing my exposure to stocks by 4%. Dirty market timer you say? :cool:

I've stayed the course. Except a small amount of fun money. Dropped $5k in at Dow 18k. Pulled it out when I made a 20% profit in about a week. Kinda wish I'd left it in. But pigs do get slaughtered.

I'm not sure. I reconciled my accounts in Jan/Feb. I haven't looked at them since other than the checking accounts to make sure spending isn't overtaking income. My spending is covered by pension and now SS so investments are not that critical. I rebalance if the numbers get too far out, but not during month-to-month swings. In the mean time, I have a large cash withdrawal comming up in the fall which will balance out some downturn in stocks, so I will look at the market at that time.

Largely staying the course.

Did some selling into the fall and early winter of positions which were fully valued in my view. Bought stocks into the selloff and that has worked better than expected Still have some cash on the sidelines awaiting re-investment and have continued to nibble.

I may do a bit more selling/repositioning here. But I am keeping equities in the 60-70 pct range for now.

One thought is maybe to move target down a bit. But it is hard with bonds so unattractive and CDs/savings less attractive.

Yup, staying the course.

Haven't sold anything. Bought 45K worth of SBUX at 54 in taxable account and 4k of SPG at 50.75 in my Roth during the plummet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom