Is anyone staying the course?

Staying the course, for now. Our pre-COVID AA was 55/45 and I was considering lowering to 50/50, or even a little lower, before the COVID hit the fan.

We are 64/65 with no pensions, but SS will provide 65% of our spending at FRA in 1.5 years. At that point, our WR will be 1-2%.

So, I consider all of the equity portion of our portfolio to be long term money for inheritance, so I guess I am gambling with my son's (potential) money.

Staying the course for us. 45/40/15. I have enough cash for ~5 years of withdrawals, and if stocks go up enough, I may take our second & final 2020 withdrawal from stocks, rather than cash. Or I may not.

... I guess I am gambling with my son's (potential) money.
Not at all. One of the sure thing bets over the past hundred years has been to count on the slow growth of equities. That was Buffett's main point in his recent Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting speech and the reason we came into the year at 75/25.

I'm certainly staying the course. I am OK with asset allocation between 70/30 and 60/40. Many times, like last Friday, I think the market is overvalued, but I was too lazy to do anything.

Sure glad to see so many staying the course. For me making any moves now, other then buying, would make me more nervous, then my investment being down a million bucks at the low point.
Only safe option for me is stand pat in times like these.

On a side note, for those still working and investing, the best thing we ever did was to continue to invest all the way through the 2009-10 recession (episode? down turn?, what ever), particularly if you have any kind of match. I can't put a number to it, I guess that gave us about 25% more at retirement in 2016 than we would have had otherwise. That, and re-investing.

Staying the course. We were only at about 40% equities before the bottom fell out so not drastically affected.

OK ... well ...

Was thinking about what we were doing back in Feb and Mar ... so, bought NFLX, BYND, ROKU ... and, then thought about dividends, so bought DOW and T ... I know, I know ... not MF or even ETF ... sorry ... the prices were just too tempting.

Went from 93/7 to 95/5 between 2/26 and 3/13. Did about half of my Roth conversion on 3/17.

FIRE, net WR is 0.87%.

Wow! With all the threads I have been seeing with this pandemic, it seems a lot have sold or got out of markets. I am surprised by the people bailing from the markets.

Just wondering if any have pretty much stayed the course and going to ride it out or even buying more?

I really don't plan on sell or changing my course at this time. I might someday if things straighten out which maybe years from now.

So, is there any other going to hang in there and stay the course?

oqq2vaal.jpg

ooh. ooh. mr kotter! mr kotter!!

haven’t sold anything and have been buying mutual funds.

Staying the course, of course. Selling low doesn't make any sense at all. I sold some equities last fall to increase our cash to about 18 months worth. 2/3 of our portfolio is taxable with a lot of capital gains over the years.

buying VTSAX into my 401k every two weeks. Haven't sold anything in my other accounts, and if I do, it will be for short term increase my cash on hand in case my job goes away, not an attempt at market timing.

We are staying the course.

I thought earlier of this bailing, as something that might need a poll.

Target Retirement 2015 more or less the big dog. Staying the course? Yes and no.

Pandemic wise we are over 70 1/2 not spending the $ allocated to travel, dining out and entertainment venues.

DW has been sewing masks and upped her giving to places that she feels are impacted in the current 'difficulty'.

I am slowly dollar cost averaging excess into index funds not to mention looking at 'a few good stocks.'

Heh eh heh - JPMorgan Chase, Verizon, Cisco Systems, Johnson &Johnson, etc among the top ten held by 'pssst Wellesley'. Just looking right now mind you. :dance: :facepalm: :greetings10:

Sold a bit in January and February just because the market was so high; bought a bit in March because I had a shopping list. But nothing that moves me far from the basic strategy. Holding steady now.

In March, my 20 year old started investing with funds from his first job. Started dollar cost averaging into a mutual fund and a couple of stocks he likes. He’s off to a great start. He is a first responder - getting a lot of overtime and saving almost every penny.

Last edited:
Still accumulating, at a discount for the time being. Won't need to sell anything for another 122 month.

We're pretty well doing what one of the Legends (Mr. Boggle??) said to do, i.e., "Stand there and do nothing" - or words to that effect....

Moved some cash into stocks to ease the AA to our target %'s.

Current AA is 37/51/12 stocks/bonds/cash

Target is 40/50/10 ish....

I'm staying the course. Well, I should have sold at the top, but it's not like I know where/when the top was, and by the time it tanks, it's too late, isn't it. I'm not good at catching a falling knife, so I'm staying the course, as I've been doing for years...

My former boss couldn't stomach the downturn in 2008 and took everything out of the market at the bottom. He's still all cash today. ---Just sayin'.

A course correction

We're both retired and age 59.

I made a tactical course correction - dropped the stock allocation from 66% to 50%. I gradually did this as the market recovered, so I didn't sell at the lowest points. Our total portfolio is only down 10% from the market high.

Our current AA is 50/30/20 (stocks/bonds/cash). That's everything - I don't have a separate bucket of cash for living expenses.

I'll admit I had a plan to own ~66% stocks, but these events have motivated me to re-examine my risk tolerance and the new plan is 40 - 50% stocks. Those are my new re-balance guardrails.

The 20% cash is somewhat large, but that's reserved for some re-balancing, if needed, and to mitigate needing to draw down the stocks/bonds. The worse that can happen is the market goes on a tear while this 20% is on the sidelines in low yielding assets. I would welcome that scenario with open arms.

Fast forward to age 70 when SS kicks in, I can re-evaluate things. By then, hopefully SORR concerns are in my rear view mirror.

I bought on the dip and got over 90% stocks and approached zero cash sometime in March. I’m still toiling for megacorps until either DW gets a paying gig, my BS bucket fills, or I reach 51yrs. So I’ve been saving cash for the past 6 weeks. I’ll buy on the next dip or build my cash reserves to 90k before buying more stocks in my taxable account.

That is staying the course for me.

I bought a little on the early dips. I am now staying the course. I fear that we will have a much deeper bottom further down the road, and a long, slow climb back up. But, if I sold now, I haven't a clue as to how I would decide when to get back in. In the meantime, I have cash/cash equivalents that can get me through a decade. I will leave it alone and hope for the best. My AA is targeted at my kids' horizons, not mine.

Made some small changes: in February took some losses in CEFs in the brokerage account (but reinvestd about 70% in similar funds). But the last 2 years I had progressively decreased the stock fund allocation down from 60% to 47%, with the last adjustment in January to scrape 2/3 of 2019's gains. I'm about to stop the part-time online work, so I intended to get below 50%, then ease back up to 60% after taking SS in 4 years.

Sold another chunk (3% of stock funds) in late February, then bought 1/2 of it back in March after the big drop. I'm currently back up to 45% stock from a low of 40% and plan to rebuy at the 40% level if the market drops (which I'm expecting but completely unsure given Fed actions).
It was easier in 2008 when I just increased my monthly 403b contributions to mostly stock additions and slowly allocated some cash/treasury funds into stock every few months.

Back
Top Bottom