Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Staying 60/40, but with the following caveats:

In November I Sold enough equities to fund 2020. My norm is to sell quarterly. Kicked myself for the 3 months of missed gains but looks like it was the way to go.

Bought a little bit in April, but couldn't bring myself to buy enough to get back to 60/40. 58/42 last I looked. I'm expecting another dip and will buy some then.

I look at things a bit different than just stick with an AA nowadays. I'll stay 60/40 as long as the FI portion can cover essential expenses plus a bit until I'm 70. At 70 SS covers more than my required expenses. So if AA drops to 40/60 or worse I won't be selling bonds if it cuts into my FI cushion.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #62

My AA is nominally 75/25. I went to 80/20 at the start of the bear market and 85/15 when the markets were 30% down. I'm now close to 88/12 as stocks have risen and I haven't rebalanced. That will come after a full recovery, or before the next dip after that. Same thing I did for 2008.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought some equities with Roth conversion money on the way down. AA now stands at 39/41/20. I too think about selling out frequently and waiting this out. It’s a daily fight to continue staying the course, as this time does seem different than those since 1987.
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Is anyone staying the course?
Old 05-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is anyone staying the course?

I haven’t done anything since the downturn started except making Roth contributions for 2019 and 2020 ($14k). I have limit orders in at prices I think are low. If they don’t fill then the cash will stay put. Two were filled toward the end of March during that “local” low around the 23rd. One of those (Disney) has since suspended its dividend.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
My, you are busy! I'd get ulcers from a move like that.
No fun in March when I saw a negative 200K+ drop in just one day and many negative 100k days. Every crash different but the happy ending is the same after 10+ years.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Of course I am staying the course!

I rebalanced on 1/1/2020 because I always do that during the first week in January. But then, due to market fluctuations, by March 23rd I was out of balance enough that I had to rebalance again in order to get back to my usual/planned AA.

Right now I am perfectly happy with my portfolio and it's nice to see the market climbing again.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I've sold off various things in IRA / ROTH that are down about 10-15% from the high points, just to get cash, in case 1929 repeats.

I've left taxable accounts fully invested as the capital gains would be monstrously huge.

We were/are heavy into stocks, easily 80-85% stocks, over the past year I've slowly been moving us more into non-stock as previously our stock allocation was 90-95% which felt too high as the market defied gravity.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #68

Just to add my voice to those more-or-less staying the course.

60/40 is now 55+/45-... just inside my rebalancing bands.

I've made one small (2%) rebalance early on to keep AA within the rebalancing band.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I was slightly overweight in equities this morning, but sold some. I guess that is staying the course.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I have to confess I've wavered, yielded to temptation and not stayed the course. I sold some equities after the market bounced back last month, reducing my exposure to stocks by 4%. Dirty market timer you say?

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #71

I've stayed the course. Except a small amount of fun money. Dropped $5k in at Dow 18k. Pulled it out when I made a 20% profit in about a week. Kinda wish I'd left it in. But pigs do get slaughtered.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #72

I'm not sure. I reconciled my accounts in Jan/Feb. I haven't looked at them since other than the checking accounts to make sure spending isn't overtaking income. My spending is covered by pension and now SS so investments are not that critical. I rebalance if the numbers get too far out, but not during month-to-month swings. In the mean time, I have a large cash withdrawal comming up in the fall which will balance out some downturn in stocks, so I will look at the market at that time.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #73

Largely staying the course.

Did some selling into the fall and early winter of positions which were fully valued in my view. Bought stocks into the selloff and that has worked better than expected Still have some cash on the sidelines awaiting re-investment and have continued to nibble.

I may do a bit more selling/repositioning here. But I am keeping equities in the 60-70 pct range for now.

One thought is maybe to move target down a bit. But it is hard with bonds so unattractive and CDs/savings less attractive.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Yup, staying the course.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #75

Haven't sold anything. Bought 45K worth of SBUX at 54 in taxable account and 4k of SPG at 50.75 in my Roth during the plummet.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #76

Saying put. Buy and hold, baby.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #77

Staying the course, for now. Our pre-COVID AA was 55/45 and I was considering lowering to 50/50, or even a little lower, before the COVID hit the fan.

We are 64/65 with no pensions, but SS will provide 65% of our spending at FRA in 1.5 years. At that point, our WR will be 1-2%.

So, I consider all of the equity portion of our portfolio to be long term money for inheritance, so I guess I am gambling with my son's (potential) money.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #78

Staying the course for us. 45/40/15. I have enough cash for ~5 years of withdrawals, and if stocks go up enough, I may take our second & final 2020 withdrawal from stocks, rather than cash. Or I may not.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
... I guess I am gambling with my son's (potential) money.
Not at all. One of the sure thing bets over the past hundred years has been to count on the slow growth of equities. That was Buffett's main point in his recent Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting speech and the reason we came into the year at 75/25.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm certainly staying the course. I am OK with asset allocation between 70/30 and 60/40. Many times, like last Friday, I think the market is overvalued, but I was too lazy to do anything.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote