Is it just me, or are others losing portfolio value too?

Fidelity's Canada Fund and Matthews' Asian G&I only things up today.

Guess what?

Today almost everything is up except Fidelity's Canada Fund and Matthews' Asian G&I, which are down!

It still doesn't change the spectre that all things are connected and one day we are all going down the toilet. :( But today is still good. :)

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
It still doesn't change the spectre that all things are connected and one day we are all going down the toilet.

No problem, as long as it happens well before I retire or sometime after I die. 8)

It's not just you Nords!  Never feel alone while your portfolio is sliding.  As long as I'm here, you'll always have company.  It's a gift I have.

I ended yesterday finishing up about 0.2% from the day before. On the surface, it sounds like a big whoop (said sarcastically) sort of day. But still, that equates to roughly one week's worth of take-home pay for me! :D

Since I have more foreign, small/microcap, mid-cap, and real assets (REITs, energy, gold, timberland) than the total US market (eg, VTI) does, I beat "the market" when my emphasized holdings do, and lag the market when US large cap is the winner. Plus my volatility is tempered by 40% fixed income.

My mental "goal" for each year is to make 12% (I look for 1% per month, though it's never that smooth), which should cover inflation, taxes, and my eventual withdrawals plus a little growth. But any year in which I end with more than I started is a good year!

So sad -- and sadder still ffrom yesterday's closing (and market closed today for Good Friday).

Int. rates up ergo bond prices down. But it least that brings the bond % yield up and buys low at dividend reinvesment.

Happy Easter!

Attachments

• choco bunny.jpg
    choco bunny.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 128
  • choco bunny.jpg_thumb
    13.2 KB · Views: 1
wow ... last year it was "how'd you do this year". Then it was "how'd ya do in January". Now it's "YIKES I am down today". :LOL:

Stocks schmocks .... how 'bout that housing bubble!

To echo Tryan

How many here price their house/other RE with the same frequency they monitor their portfolio ups and downs?

I believe Ben Graham and later Warren Buffett have commented on this.

A couple of houses down the block/er in the neighbor - similar to mine have for sale signs this spring - but I haven't priced them.

heh heh heh heh

tryan said:
Stocks schmocks .... how 'bout that housing bubble!
unclemick2 said:
How many here price their house/other RE with the same frequency they monitor their portfolio ups and downs?
I'm not fretting over the portfolio's value and I'm sure not trying to build a diversified portfolio of cheap homes.

I'm looking for a fire sale, folks, but this time I'm planning to run INTO the building...

I only look at the wad twice a year (out of fear I might actually ACT on the information).

I check the Vanguard several times a week, just to boost my spirits.

My wife tells me whenever a house on the street sells and our local realtor keeps us posted on our estimated value.

I don't normally count the house in the pot, but one of several scenarios involves eventually cashing out, to it is nice to know that it is doing OK.

Not nearly as much. I'm aware of the approximate market price, when a comp in the area goes on sale, I pay attention to the asking price, the time on market and I check the final selling price.

I check the vanguard "total view" every day, as it shows my bank accounts, taxable accounts, our roths, my ira and my wifes 403b. Nice to see the total picture and at least eyeball the bank accounts for any fraud.

i use fidelity full view and caught 2 fraudulent charges the day after they happened last month....

Back
Top Bottom