Is it time to stop contributing to a TSP?

TDub

Recycles dryer sheets
Okay, I’m second guessing our investment strategy and I’d love your input.

Current status: 7 years from FIRE with two active duty military pensions coming 2028 or later (mine will begin in 2028 when I pull the plug. Not sure yet when DW wants to retire…).

Each year we max backdoor ROTH, max our Traditional Thrift Savings Plan accounts, and contribute what’s left to our taxable account with Vanguard.

I’ve read much that suggests tax rates will likely increase in the not-too-distant future. In order to minimize our tax exposure come 2028, should we immediately stop contributing to our TSPs and up contributions to our taxable brokerage + back-door Roths? What would you do in my situation?

Our current NW is distributed as follows:
49% Taxable brokerage
31% Tax deferred (Traditional TSP)
16% Roth IRAs
4% Cash

Thanks for the help!

OP, are you on the old retirement system or the new one? What are your post active duty plans? A wiley vet named Nords is an awesome source for military folks. Hope he catches your post. He usually comes on to offer advice. If on the new retirement system at a minimum contribute to get the matching funds.

I defer to others on nuances of the military system, but I imagine you should contribute enough to the TSP to get the match

To me, the critical question is whether your tax bracket today is significantly higher than your tax bracket once you retire and have all your pensions and SS and RMDs going. If yes, then tax-deferred saving is still beneficial since what you pay later is less than what you would pay now.

Your mix/percentages between taxable/tax-deferred/tax-free are not extreme at all. Many people ER with 75% or more in tax-deferred.

Even if you decide to scale back your TSP contributions, definitely continue the back-door Roth contributions.

I can do a Roth TSP, and I am in the legacy retirement system so there is no matching.

That's helpful to know that others sit with a much higher percentage of their NW in tax deferred. If you all make it work then so can we.

To me, the critical question is whether your tax bracket today is significantly higher than your tax bracket once you retire and have all your pensions and SS and RMDs going. If yes, then tax-deferred saving is still beneficial since what you pay later is less than what you would pay now.

Your mix/percentages between taxable/tax-deferred/tax-free are not extreme at all. Many people ER with 75% or more in tax-deferred.

Even if you decide to scale back your TSP contributions, definitely continue the back-door Roth contributions.

This is where I struggle.
Current marginal tax rate: 24% (AGI with max tax deferred = 193K)
Projected marginal tax rate: 22% (combined pensions = 137K)

BUT, that is with today's income tax rates. Perhaps the answer to my question is that I should keep maxing out our tax deferred, but be prepared to stop if/when tax rates increase.

I'm not sure if it matters much. Even if tax rates revert to 25%/28% vs current 22%/24% you're not talking huge differences... assuming tax rates revert then you're avoiding paying 24% now to pay 25% later.

Given that, I would back off tax-deferred savings and go with Roth.

We maxed out both TSP and Roth IRA until retirement. If you are going to work after military service, I’d say you are much more likely to have a higher tax bracket later on. We’re living on pension and VA very comfortably, with about 20% Roth and 80% TSP.

We maxed out both TSP and Roth IRA until retirement. If you are going to work after military service, I’d say you are much more likely to have a higher tax bracket later on. We’re living on pension and VA very comfortably, with about 20% Roth and 80% TSP.

We're not planning on w*rking after military service, and I think we would hold our WR at whatever spending level we plan for travel, big purchases, etc., while staying within the same tax bracket that our pensions would place us.

Just out of curiosity, are you rolling over your TSP to your Roth?

Last edited:
We're not planning on w*rking after military service, and I think we would hold our WR at whatever spending level we still want for travel, big purchases, etc., while staying within the same tax bracket that our pensions would place us.

Just out of curiosity, are you rolling over your TSP to your Roth?

I know you aren't asking me, but I retired after my mil service. Yes, I did go back to w*rk for a short period, but it more because of COVID boredom and not for more $$$. Nonetheless, my TSP hasn't done anything since I retired...and I didn't convert it to a ROTH. My pension pays all of our daily/normal expenses.

I'm not sure if it matters much. Even if tax rates revert to 25%/28% vs current 22%/24% you're not talking huge differences... assuming tax rates revert then you're avoiding paying 24% now to pay 25% later.

Given that, I would back off tax-deferred savings and go with Roth.

Yes, absolutely. That makes sense to me.

I know you aren't asking me, but I retired after my mil service. Yes, I did go back to w*rk for a short period, but it more because of COVID boredom and not for more $$$. Nonetheless, my TSP hasn't done anything since I retired...and I didn't convert it to a ROTH. My pension pays all of our daily/normal expenses.

Congrats on retirement #2!

Like your situation, I fully expect our pensions to cover our daily/normal expenses. Assuming we don't have any terrible life events I don't see us needing the TSP, and it would be great to avoid RMDs. I feel like the more I contribute to our traditional TSP, the more we'll just have to rollover to a Roth in order to leave it to our kiddos and avoid RMDs.

We’re not planning to rollover. I like free rebalancing in the TSP. I’ll probably start to take some out at 59.5 through the start of Social Security. When I ran different scenarios in I-ORP it was a wash.

When I was in a similiar situation-decent taxable account, a mix of tax deferred & post tax accounts, and uncertain future tax situations, I chose to pay the devil I know now(current taxes) and went with the Roth TSP.

Other than leaving me not qualified for the 2020 "stimulus" payments, I really don't think there will be a huge difference either way.

One thing to look forward to if you want to do anything with your TSP post retirement is it will take up to 60 days for your service to tell the TSP you have retired and then separated. I retired on 1 December and that is what the TSP informed me when I inquired last week.

Thanks, all. And congrats to you recent military retirees. I can't wait to be in your shoes!
The ride is fun, but the years remaining still feel long.

I'm going to switch us to the Roth TSP option. Thanks again.

We did not rollover either TSP to anywhere else. THe appeal of the G fund is still there, a few unique qualities about it. And yes our TSPs have greatly benefitted from the booming market bc they are aggressively invested (given the choices). We maxed out ROths when we could and backdoor ROths when we couldnt, and did traditional TSP (except combat contributions which will always be taxfree upon withdrawal). ANother thing to eyeball is if youre flirting with tax calculations, and I know you are way out, be familiar that at 65 you go to Tricare For Life and PROBABLY want to buy medicare part B which is means tested. SO there are income checks on it. So if you get yourself into a situation with high income, market banging and squirting out dividends, and then you start having to do RMD's your medicare bill could go up pretty fast. Too far out to scope that finely but be aware of it. MEdicare will prob still exist and it will prob continue to be means tested. ALso, we havent touched any of our "retirement bridge money" or "retirement accounts" since we retired because the pension is enough to float the boat. SO if you have a good feel for expenses and income and can get the 2 to jive, this may all be academic rather than real world.

A wiley vet named Nords is an awesome source for military folks. Hope he catches your post. He usually comes on to offer advice.
Thanks for the tags, Bigdawg and JDarnell!

Okay, I’m second guessing our investment strategy and I’d love your input.

Current status: 7 years from FIRE with two active duty military pensions coming 2028 or later (mine will begin in 2028 when I pull the plug. Not sure yet when DW wants to retire…).

In order to minimize our tax exposure come 2028, should we immediately stop contributing to our TSPs and up contributions to our taxable brokerage + back-door Roths? What would you do in my situation?

This is where I struggle.
Current marginal tax rate: 24% (AGI with max tax deferred = 193K)
Projected marginal tax rate: 22% (combined pensions = 137K)
TDub, the bigger question is what your income-tax bracket will be at age 72 with your pension(s), Social Security, and Required Minimum Distributions from your traditional retirement accounts.

It’s quite likely that you’ll be not only in the 24% income-tax bracket, but your Medicare premiums will be subject to IRMAA. If your traditional TSPs (and traditional IRAs) continue to compound without any withdrawals after age 59.5 then your RMDs might even blunder into the 32% income-tax bracket.

Right now, you could be in the lowest income-tax bracket of your life. It makes sense to stop contributing to your traditional TSPs and traditional IRAs and to start contributing to your Roth TSPs and Roth IRAs. (Your Roth IRA contributions might be limited by your AGI, and in that situation— with existing traditional TSPs and traditional IRAs— it might be simpler to continue making non-deductible contributions to your traditional IRAs.) You’ll boost your income taxes a bit now in hopes of avoiding even higher income taxes later.

When you retire from active duty without seeking additional paychecks, you’ll have a few years of lower taxable income. That’s the opportunity to do small incremental Roth IRA conversions of your traditional IRAs and traditional TSPs. You could make them up to the top of the 24% income-tax bracket (where you’d be paying income taxes anyway) and pay the conversion taxes out of your taxable accounts.

If you wanted to get very aggressive with the conversions after you retire from active duty, you could even make charitable contributions (above the standard income-tax deduction) and accelerate the conversions. However you could also do the same with traditional TSPs and traditional IRAs using your RMDs as charitable contributions. It all depends on your lifetime philanthropy plan.

My spouse and I spent 16 years converting our traditional TSPs and traditional IRAs, a little every year. We converted up to the top of the 22% income-tax bracket (and the old 15% & 25% income-tax brackets) in order to avoid ending up in the 24% income-tax bracket in our 70s.

Today we have enough compound growth in our assets to never need to touch our Roth IRAs. However we could also draw down our Roth IRAs (beyond our pensions) in order to make charitable donations from our taxable accounts, or to leave the taxable accounts to our heirs at a stepped-up cost basis.

By the way, there are very few dual-military couples with two active-duty pensions. I don’t think there’s enough of your demographic to make statistically valid conclusions about financial independence.

However I’ve heard from dozens of them over the last two decades, and every one of them has more money than they need... in most cases, far more money. My spouse and I are in a similar situation with my active-duty pension and her Reserve pension. Let me know if you have more questions.

Last edited:
So very helpful as ever, Nords, thank you!

There are very few mil-to-mil retirees that I can talk to, but the few we do know agree with you. The pensions will likely suffice. It's nice to know we will have lots of wiggle room WRT our budget, and likely leave our kiddos a healthy inheritance. When we retire we will do what you did and slowly roll over our Trad TSP to our Roths.

The above advice really validates my suspicions. We will stop tax deferred contributions and go all in with Roth TSP, back-door Roth IRAs, and $ to our taxable brokerage account.

Thanks again!

I don't get it. You get free rebalancing in a tIRA or a Roth IRA too.

My Roth IRA is a self directed brokerage, so there are transaction costs, depending on the security. In the TSP, I just input the AA I want and they change it for the next day.

Back
Top Bottom